mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
When they connect their name just changes to "[SCAMMER] Evil Scammer's Name" but I know you can set the SR plugin to prevent tagged scammers from connecting. I don't know why they're even allowed to join our trade servers... even though they have the [SCAMMER] tag in their name.

I bring this up because on Trade NY some kid almost spycrabbed with a guy who has [SCAMMER] in his name... the kid clearly doesn't know it's from the SR plugin and may not even know about SR. My guess is that the guy is tagged for not paying on spycrab losses.

He is also trying to sell a strange revolver. Trading with tagged scammers is against SR rules and can get you tagged yourself. Why even give them the chance to trade, profit, or scam again?

I just don't understand why they are allowed to connect and trade. It can't be to populate and bring in quickplay traffic since the maps are custom. Maybe there is some logical reason that I don't see atm but they can be perma-banned as soon as they connect for all I care and make an appeal if they ever get their tag removed.

Reactions: sov

Mathias

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
I'm on the US server ALL the time and I never see any scammers ever join so I don't think it's a major issue but to help prevent future issues I could see them not being allowed.
+1

Side note: People who spycrab and don't pay up get labeled a scammer if they report it?

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'm on the US server ALL the time and I never see any scammers ever join so I don't think it's a major issue but to help prevent future issues I could see them not being allowed.
+1

Side note: People who spycrab and don't pay up get labeled a scammer if they report it?
Yeah there aren't many scammers trying to join trade to begin with so it's not like they're really even seeding... which is why we should just keep them the fuck out in the first place.

Side answer: Yes. It's a common scam - bounce around trade server spycrabbing for items. Lose... leave the server. Win... collect your items.

Wrath

Positively Inhumane Poster
I don't believe so. But it is always good to have a middle man for spycrabbing.
Technically, you're supposed to have either a Middlemann, or a Server Admin.(Or any community admin that is/isn't tagged on SR present to witness it.

It is very hard to take reports based on risk and gambles. I think Datastorm told us that when I was back in DGN, so unless someone happens to have a demo, then they can make a scam report...but it's generally a good idea, and should be a force of habit, to have someone watch and witness it. (Prevents Loss and makes it easier to report the scammer, if they decide to become one by BAIL)

Mathias

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
Technically, you're supposed to have either a Middlemann, or a Server Admin.(Or any community admin that is/isn't tagged on SR present to witness it.

It is very hard to take reports based on risk and gambles. I think Datastorm told us that when I was back in DGN, so unless someone happens to have a demo, then they can make a scam report...but it's generally a good idea, and should be a force of habit, to have someone watch and witness it. (Prevents Loss and makes it easier to report the scammer, if they decide to become one by BAIL)

That is a very good idea but could you imagine the flood of reports Skial would get. I never knew that it could be a flag-able offense and just also told the person complaining they got scammed that there really isn't much you can do about it. I've always suggested to them that they only hold their spycrab contest with trusted, frequent, gamer's when on the Skial server(s).

Toxik

Contributor
I do really like the idea of them getting kicked when the server is full, but I mean, even if the server is missing one person, it means they can scam all they want until it's full, no?

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I do really like the idea of them getting kicked when the server is full, but I mean, even if the server is missing one person, it means they can scam all they want until it's full, no?
Well presumably people aren't so stupid as to trade with someone who has [SCAMMER] in front of their name.

But let's face it, they are.

Toxik

Contributor
Well presumably people aren't so stupid as to trade with someone who has [SCAMMER] in front of their name.

But let's face it, they are.
Well I mean, at least we're good enough to have [SCAMMER], what more could they want? Skial as a server host and community has basically done everything it could, besides blocking the scammers

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Well I mean, at least we're good enough to have [SCAMMER], what more could they want? Skial as a server host and community has basically done everything it could, besides blocking the scammers
See OP.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
As far as I know, Bottiger is pretty stubborn when it comes to deploying new (and unchecked) plugins to the servers...

Not even...for SCIENCE!?

Edit: Since some people have never heard the mad scientist battle cry....

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForScience

When a scientist says he does something For Science!, what this usually means is he simply doesn't care about the answers to several important questions regarding his research, like:
  1. Does it have any potential applications — that are not immediately lethal, full of side effects, potentially genocidal, ecocidal, omnicidal or mildly herbicidal?
  2. Is there any way of gaining any replicable data or results?
  3. Where will I get test subjects?
  4. Can we make sure willing subjects are informed of all the risks involved in testing my dangerous untested invention?
  5. Are these experiments ethical? Is Phlebotinum Rebellion likely?
  6. Will it rise up against humanity and/or eat me?
  7. How will I fund my research, and how can I make money off of it? (What? These are legitimate questions!)