Bottiger

Administrator
1:55 p.m. PDT - Starting at approximately 2:15 p.m. PDT, we will be bringing Diablo III servers in the Americas offline for urgent maintenance to address several issues that are impacting the game. We anticipate that maintenance will last for about an hour and that servers will be available at approximately 3:30 p.m. PDT. We will provide further updates as they are necessary. Thank you for your patience.

--------

1:27 p.m. PDT - We're in the process of testing and implementing multiple fixes for the current service issues. We’ll provide another update in approximately 1 hour.

--------

11:30 a.m. PDT - We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for Diablo III servers in the Americas to resolve several issues that are currently impacting the game. This maintenance may cause some interruption in communication, ability to log in, use of in-game features, and disconnections. We anticipate all servers will be available for play at approximately 1:30 p.m. PDT. We will provide further updates as necessary. Thank you for your patience.

--------

10:22 a.m. PDT - We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for all North American Diablo III servers to resolve several issues that are currently impacting the game. This maintenance may cause some interruption in communication, ability to log in, use of in-game features, and disconnections. We anticipate all servers will be available for play in approximately 1 hour.

Servers down from 10:22 am to 3:30 pm. It is amazing how bad Blizzard is at launching stuff after an entire decade of experience.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Servers down from 10:22 am to 3:30 pm. It is amazing how bad Blizzard is at launching stuff after an entire decade of experience.

Haha, in all fairness this was quite a major launch, there had to of been atleast like 600k people trying to log into the server at exactly the same time - and the load probably fucked them up, they've been declining in subs lately so one can assume they just weren't ready. Things seem to be smoother now, I didn't mind the small forced break from diablo because I would of probably no lifed it the entire day without it.

Bottiger

Administrator
There's really no excuse for Blizzard. It doesn't matter if there are 600k people trying to log in.

I doubt the number is larger than WoW that have users in the tens of millions. They have the infrastructure to bring up more servers to distribute the load in an instance or use EC2. Not to mention there was a beta and open release weekend.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
There's really no excuse for Blizzard. It doesn't matter if there are 600k people trying to log in.

I doubt the number is larger than WoW that have users in the tens of millions. They have the infrastructure to bring up more servers to distribute the load in an instance or use EC2. Not to mention there was a beta and open release weekend.

Eh, they attempted to do something somewhat different rather than a worldwide release at the same time, they released it in Europe earlier than the US, and Asia I believe as well - it just didn't work...the release wasn't as catastrophic as Cataclysm (HAHA GET IT) was. There was about 30 minutes when it first released I couldn't get in, then the servers were fine until the emergency maintenance.

Bottiger

Administrator
We're talking about the richest and oldest online gaming company with over a decade of experience releasing large online games.

It doesn't matter if they should have gone with a rolling release, and it is even worse that they couldn't handle the load like that. This release was utter garbage. There is no queuing system, so everyone is spending hours logging in repeatedly making the load worse. There's no reason they can't scale out everything else. The main reason for all this outage is incompetence or greediness trying to go with the minimum amount of servers they possibly can.

I remember other large releases like Guildwars having less than 1 hour downtime on launch day.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
We're talking about the richest and oldest online gaming company with over a decade of experience releasing large online games.

It doesn't matter if they should have gone with a rolling release, and it is even worse that they couldn't handle the load like that. This release was utter garbage. There is no queuing system, so everyone is spending hours logging in repeatedly making the load worse. There's no reason they can't scale out everything else. The main reason for all this outage is incompetence or greediness trying to go with the minimum amount of servers they possibly can.

I remember other large releases like Guildwars having less than 1 hour downtime on launch day.

Eh you're probably right - I was merely saying that this has been their best launch yet...it was quite a steady improvement I couldn't log into cataclysm for a good 2-3 hours after it came out, and even when I could it was constant disconnects and crashes. I can't say I'm unhappy with this release tho, it was definitely a little "sputtery" for want of a better term...but all things considered, I didn't mind the emergency maintenance, it was a pain in the ass trying to make a character for 30 minutes tho at 3:00 EST.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor

They still have queues in WoW for servers that are marked "Full". People hate it. I don't think it's greed, my thinking from a business sense, why provision that much hardware and bandwidth for a few hours RIGHT when the game launches. Obviously they already have additional capacity for the launch. Idealistically they would build a whole new datacenter for the D3 launch, and they probably almost did in some respects. My friend has been on since 3am and he's experienced a grand total of one error message. I think the launch went fine. I think way more people tried to login to D3 than GuildWars, so I don't think that's a totally fair comparison either.

Bottiger

Administrator
They still have queues in WoW for servers that are marked "Full". People hate it. I don't think it's greed, my thinking from a business sense, why provision that much hardware and bandwidth for a few hours RIGHT when the game launches. Obviously they already have additional capacity for the launch. Idealistically they would build a whole new datacenter for the D3 launch, and they probably almost did in some respects. My friend has been on since 3am and he's experienced a grand total of one error message. I think the launch went fine. I think way more people tried to login to D3 than GuildWars, so I don't think that's a totally fair comparison either.

It is greed. The servers have essentially been down since release for the vast majority of players.

How do I know? Because I spent an hour trying to log in after release, and when I woke up today, there were still tons of people still complaining about error 37 on the forums.

And also you are underestimating Guildwars.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It is greed. The servers have essentially been down since release for the vast majority of players.

How do I know? Because I spent an hour trying to log in after release, and when I woke up today, there were still tons of people still complaining about error 37 on the forums.

And also you are underestimating Guildwars.
Don't know what to tell you. I've had a few people here have essentially no login problems. Maybe the East Coast datacenters are better equipped. Again, I don't think it's greed since I don't think it's intentional. They did stress testing, but obviously that was just a subset of the users that would try to login on launch day. They make a guess on how much more infrastructure they need, and that's it. With so many trying to login all over the place, any type of hardware failure could cause massive problems, also bugs in networking code could possibly be surfacing. If I remember correctly they had to do a patch the day D2 came out as well. No ones perfect.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The only issues I had were the 30 minutes at the launch, and the emergency maintenance - other than that I've been error free today.

Edit:
Also East Coast, so maybe Take is correct.

wokmage

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
I definitely haven't been error free all day, I managed to get in a few hours this morning and then around 1:00 servers went down and I haven't been able to get back into my single player game since.

Brick

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Thought long and hard about buying it.
But, after all this? Nah.
keep.jpg

AfireAzuaki

Epic Skial Regular
Ironcally, Sunday, I went to Best Buy and saw the same poster, although it said it was being sold at midnight.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Supposedly Demon Hunter atm. Most ability to solo but it's glass cannony, gotta be good at avoiding shit. Witch Doctor is pretty good all around.

Sinnx

Wicked Nasty Engineer
personal preference really:

If you want to be up close and in your face:
Barbarian(takes alot damage, lowdps endgame)
Monk(dodge tank)

Ranged
Wizard (crowd control, AOE dps)
Demon Hunter ( survivability skills, strong dps)

Witch doctor ( summons, curses, good crowd control)

Toxik

Contributor
I've never played Diablo ll, but I think I have decent action role-play-ish experience to do okay, hopefully I get sucked into it enough to really enjoy it. I might go for Demon Hunter, she looks badass :3