Status
Not open for further replies.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
This suggestion is just to change or add something to the current message displayed in-game as an attempt to attract more users to the forums.

Because this is boring:
2013-01-05_2252.png

something like "Type !forum to visit our forums - it's fun and free!" or "Type !forum to visit our forums - FREE CAKE!"

While this may seem wacky/silly/stupid that is exactly the kind of message that is needed to get people's attention and actually join the forums. I know I would have joined much sooner at the promise of free cake, even if i knew it was a lie.

I just think that something less sterile and more fun that will actually catch someone's eye while playing can only encourage more users to come here. Often times in game I hear people have ideas about maps and changes and I try to tell them to come to the forums to make a suggestion and they don't seem to even know there are forums, even though that same bland message is telling them so every 30 seconds. Or they have other questions/comments about Skial and the answers to which can be found here if only they would bother looking.

Anyway I can't think of a reason notto have a fun "join the forum!" message or a rotation of different fun/silly messages.

Edit:
Since it seems people want a more professional approach and more eye catching here are some better examples

Type !forum to visit our forums - Join the community!

Type !forum to visit Skial forums - More than just servers

Trades, Raffles, & More - Type !forum to visit our forums or visit Skial.com/forum today

Any message like these or hell even put them all on some kind of rotation is bound to get new users to join the forums.

The point is to get attention and encourage new users to join the forums. And as a few have pointed out in this thread they didn't even know there was an existing message in game.

DanHack

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I was asking some regs a few weeks back if maybe we should suggest to add a perk like blue color chat or something to forum regs to maybe increase forum traffic/reward those who put themselves into the community oyher than just the servers

The response was quite a good one

Do we actually want some of the people on the servers to come on to forums just to troll more. We got enough shitposters as it is and any reputable person who wants to join will see the "sterile" message and join. If we see anyone who would be a great edition we can also link.

Adding wacky/stupid lines trying to gain interest may work, but for the wrong audiences.

I don't think we need more FYI's or Augers to join our community.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
DanHack those people only join because they were banned and come here to appeal.

ThirstyDonut

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Why not just say "Join at Skial.com for free cookies" in green text? It seems simpler

ToTeM

Australian Skial God
Contributor
sounds like a pretty good idea
for example "Type !forum to visit our forum - It's full of fun people"

Reactions: mittens

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
I like this suggestion, however, I'd prefer if it said "Type !forum to visit our forums - FREE HAT!" so that people know we support the release of Hat McCullough.

not that I expect you arses to get the reference anyway

ThirstyDonut

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
I changed my mind.
I'm giving this a +1 because up until now, I seriously had no idea that there was actually a message that said "Type !forum to visit our forums"
So yeah, more green text, more text, or more noticeability seems like it'd be a good thing

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
+1, most people that end up using !forum to visit the forums for the first time just do it to check a trade they see from trade chat or to file a report, we should give people a reason to actually want to use the forums, and that's it's a lot of fun, not just for trading or filing appeals/reports.

Ceubie

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
sounds dumb..
^ this

advertising something like what you said would just make us all sound like a bunch of retarded elephants.

I for one, would never visit a forum with an advertisement saying "!forum to visit our forums - FREE CAKE!"

Yeah I know but that's sort of the point... believe it or not dumb crap like this works.
Works for immature 12 year olds, and we already have enough of those on this forum to last a lifetime, look at terdy and mario.

Just my two cents.

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
^ this

advertising something like what you said would just make us all sound like a bunch of retarded elephants.

I for one, would never visit a forum with an advertisement saying "!forum to visit our forums - FREE CAKE!"
Agreed that anything containing cake in it is fucking retarded and will only appeal to 12-year olds who think mentioning random pastries is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.