Status
Not open for further replies.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
This suggestion is just to change or add something to the current message displayed in-game as an attempt to attract more users to the forums.

Because this is boring:
2013-01-05_2252.png

something like "Type !forum to visit our forums - it's fun and free!" or "Type !forum to visit our forums - FREE CAKE!"

While this may seem wacky/silly/stupid that is exactly the kind of message that is needed to get people's attention and actually join the forums. I know I would have joined much sooner at the promise of free cake, even if i knew it was a lie.

I just think that something less sterile and more fun that will actually catch someone's eye while playing can only encourage more users to come here. Often times in game I hear people have ideas about maps and changes and I try to tell them to come to the forums to make a suggestion and they don't seem to even know there are forums, even though that same bland message is telling them so every 30 seconds. Or they have other questions/comments about Skial and the answers to which can be found here if only they would bother looking.

Anyway I can't think of a reason notto have a fun "join the forum!" message or a rotation of different fun/silly messages.

Edit:
Since it seems people want a more professional approach and more eye catching here are some better examples

Type !forum to visit our forums - Join the community!

Type !forum to visit Skial forums - More than just servers

Trades, Raffles, & More - Type !forum to visit our forums or visit Skial.com/forum today

Any message like these or hell even put them all on some kind of rotation is bound to get new users to join the forums.

The point is to get attention and encourage new users to join the forums. And as a few have pointed out in this thread they didn't even know there was an existing message in game.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
^ this

advertising something like what you said would just make us all sound like a bunch of retarded elephants.

I for one, would never visit a forum with an advertisement saying "!forum to visit our forums - FREE CAKE!"

It's just an example feel free to come up with your own idea to entice people.

Kairi

Banned
Contributor
The cake is a lie?
pitoo-bear-sad.gif

It's a nicefull thought of you, trying to get people more to the forum. It is playfull and funny with the "free cake" part. And "who doesn't try doesn't reach his goal". (Or how the expression in English might be.)

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The /forum is there as a utility, IMO. If we put ads on forums, perhaps I'd be up for garnering more users. However, I don't see how old memes will help the forums much. People will come if they're active enough on the servers anyways, if they choose to.

My opinion, at least.

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
The /forum is there as a utility, IMO. If we put ads on forums, perhaps I'd be up for garnering more users. However, I don't see how old memes will help the forums much. People will come if they're active enough on the servers anyways, if they choose to.

My opinion, at least.
Still, I'd prefer something more welcoming than just "Here's our forum just so that you know in case you care or something fuck you"

sov

Legendary Skial King
^ this

advertising something like what you said would just make us all sound like a bunch of retarded elephants.

I for one, would never visit a forum with an advertisement saying "!forum to visit our forums - FREE CAKE!"

Works for immature 12 year olds, and we already have enough of those on this forum to last a lifetime, look at terdy and mario.

Just my two cents.

I agree that that stupid shit like Free Cookies, is stupid and only fags actually think that funny. No one in a Skial server (especially the good competitive players) would click on that if it said free cake. It's not a good line to use, has to be something more pursasive than that.

I never even laughed to, there's cookies or free cake.

Make it some real thing.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I agree that that stupid shit like Free Cookies, is stupid and only fags actually think that funny. No one in a Skial server (especially the good competitive players) would click on that if it said free cake. It's not a good line to use, has to be something more pursasive than that.

I never even laughed to, there's cookies or free cake.

Make it some real thing.

The point is just to get people's attention, something the current message does not.

sov

Legendary Skial King
The point is just to get people's attention, something the current message does not.
I know. Just saying, Skial would get a lot more clicjs if it didn't include pastries because that would send out a message that a child wrote that or etc. lol

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I know. Just saying, Skial would get a lot more clicjs if it didn't include pastries because that would send out a message that a child wrote that or etc. lol

I'm gonna have to clarify what an example is in litereally everything I say from now on.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I think its a good idea to use whatever 'ad space' we have to drive more people to teh forum, to get more involved, possibly donate.
Don't think there's much scope for using this small part of our toolbox to increase volume to the forums, Its more a case of letting people know we have forums.
The only sort of addition that I think would work here, is to promote the trading side of the forum. perhaps /forum could link you into the trade forums.
Want to trade on a free and safe site? type !forum to start trading with 1000's of our other users.

Kairi

Banned
Contributor
Untill there is a change to get them to the forum just promote it by talking to an other regular to promote this. Like they do on the market to get costumers buying their stuff. ;) make people curious to check this out.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Since it seems people want a more professional approach and more eye catching here are some better examples

Type !forum to visit our forums - Join the community!

Type !forum to visit Skial forums - More than just servers

Trades, Raffles, & More - Type !forum to visit our forums or visit Skial.com/forum today

Any message like these or hell even put them all on some kind of rotation is bound to get new users to join the forums.

The point is to get attention and encourage new users to join the forums. And as a few have pointed out in this thread they didn't even know there was an existing message in game.

Also bump

Shula

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
+1 to Mittens for simply being positive and making an attempt to improve something.

Status
Not open for further replies.