GoldSrc

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
This is a classic case of "If it's not broken, don't fix it." This perversion of an otherwise good map is no longer unique, it's just like any other idle server. There are already tons of know glitches and shit that people don't like. For the betterment of Idle regulars and nonregulars, I think Idle should be reverted. I know it's only been one day, but please take this seriously.

ρapa ρepe

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
There has been countless videos complaining about the spawn camping in awesomebox. It was never meant to be something that can be setup in 10 seconds.

You've played all the versions of it, you should know that we've been trying to figure out how to remove that. It has been unfixed for so long that you are too used to it.

I'm sorry that your favorite gameplay is setting up a 10 second spawn camp, but the way it was, isn't best for the server.

You can still spawn camp, it'll just take you some more time so you can't just do it again after the victims took 10 minutes to get a lucky RTD combo off to clear you out.
To be fair it doesn't even take 10 seconds, it takes behind the scenes planning and luck. That's simply an exaggeration. Despite not being an OG from the server's beginning phases or versions, I've seen enough to say there are plenty of ways out and it's mostly the reactionaries that file complaints.

Reactions: Hellgasims

Angry Man Dan

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
After reading through this and how the new current idle server map is a problem to the regulars of that server, i understand Bot's statement with change is hard; however, the people can support change if they looked into Jermaphobe's idle map version instead from my knowledge it's supposedly a variant version of Awesomebox https://www.skial.com/threads/achievement_idle_sandbox-for-bottigers-24-7-idle-trade.91143/ , it still requires support, but i'm pretty sure it getting more support to it could make it the new map for you guys, and from my understanding that you guys say he doesn't take criticism, but for his map he certainly would if it's to make it more enjoyable for the community it was made for even if it supposedly based...

If anything, just take a look at it and at least give him feedback for the map on that thread, a map that he made, not the one that Bot updated which would be the current map on the server.

Looks like it accomplishes what Bottiger desired while also being more pleasing to the eye and (presumably) less buggy. I don't see why not.

Last edited:

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
lol

I never said you are the one who made the changes, I just disagree with you. You often do simply dismiss people who have criticism towards you.
You directly implied that he is the one making the changes. Everyone can have their own opinion. If their opinion doesn't align with your own it doesn't mean that you should trash on them saying stupid statements like "you're actually brainless". That's childish behavior and you know it's stupid. If somebody else does the same thing just ignore it.

It's up to Bottiger whether or not the changes are reverted and as the regulars of the server it's important that you state your opinion - whether it is good or bad. I honestly hope it works out for you guys, but you shouldn't start a mob because it makes people take you less seriously. Stick to the important topic at hand and continue to get support.

Last edited:

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
As for my own opinion though I think there should be a skilled way to get to the top. There should be platforms that you can sticky jump or rocket jump to that leads to the sky box. It shouldn't be a fast route but a fun route unless you know how to do everything perfectly. I don't know if this is an option but the sticky jumper should be reduced to one active sticky instead or of two so you can't gain higher altitude as easily. The current setup is hard to navigate and the invisible walls are annoying which is why I suggested the alternative route.

I know the ultimate goal is to reduce spawn camping because it leaves a bad impression on new players but there should still be a fun aspect and something to work towards.

Last edited:

GoldSrc

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
You directly implied that he is the one making the changes. Everyone can have their own opinion. If their opinion doesn't align with your own it doesn't mean that you should trash on them saying stupid statements like "you're actually brainless". That's childish behavior and you know it's stupid. If somebody else does the same thing just ignore it.

It's up to Bottiger whether or not the changes are reverted and as the regulars of the server it's important that you state your opinion - whether it is good or bad. I honestly hope it works out for you guys, but you shouldn't start a mob because it makes people take you less seriously. Stick to the important topic at hand and continue to get support.

sir this is the internet. Everyone hates eachother. and where exactly did I imply he made the changes?

Hellgasims

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
Just throwing out there that since it is now harder to get to the skybox as per the map change, once a teleporter has been set up, these camps will go on for longer and more painful than ever before since the average player can’t get to the skybox as easy to destroy the teleporter. Omegalul.

Edit: still easier to get to the skybox as a donor than a regular player. Guess we’re good then ;)

Reactions: ρapa ρepe

Bottiger

Administrator
There is a skilled way to get to the top, walking the invisible path, the way it was always meant to be and the way it was designed when I made the skybox 10 years ago.

It is only because we had no idea how to stop surf/sticky jumping to there that this hasn't been fixed earlier.

Just throwing out there that since it is now harder to get to the skybox as per the map change, once a teleporter has been set up, these camps will go on for longer and more painful than ever before since the average player can’t get to the skybox as easy to destroy the teleporter. Omegalul.

That is the other team's fault for not shutting people down when they are trying to walk the path. Also anywhere you can build the teleporter can be shot down by a sniper from the surf ramp now.

People are only complaining because they want easy access to spawn camp and that has been taken away.

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

Edit: still easier to get to the skybox as a donor than a regular player. Guess we’re good then ;)

It's pointless replying to them any further really. The owner basically keeps telling us "The changes are staying, git gud." all while Jerma responds extremely immaturely. < Something he has been criticized for more times than people have complained about the idle server.

It's very clear there is a massive disconnect from the skial staff and its playerbase in certain servers, either that or they just don't care, but from the responses I've seen from them they simply want the server gone but want to make it look like it "died naturally" instead of just flat out closing it.

Hellgasims

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
I guess we'll see how time spans out. My only hope is for the one of the last remaining popular idle servers not to die. However, this type of "out with the old, in with the new" isn't something new for Skial and it's worked lol.

surfing cyanide

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
-1 due to how the various idle community members are behaving. Too volatile and immature to present a proper case.

Lord Vader

Gore-Spattered Heavy
It's very clear there is a massive disconnect from the skial staff and its playerbase in certain servers, either that or they just don't care, but from the responses I've seen from them they simply want the server gone but want to make it look like it "died naturally" instead of just flat out closing it.
Not that I'm defending bottiger's decision or anything, but if that were the case, then the surf server would have already died out as well, with the lack of good maps.

Bottiger

Administrator
it doesnt fucking matter its part of what makes idlle fun idle servers are fucking horrendous cuz half the people on there are braindead not including seminal hes cute as fuck but srsly yall think we give a shit about how we play the game if ppl dont like it just fucking leave the server you dont have to be a dick about it l
literally idle is fuucking idle not a comp server fuck balancing its fucking AFK SERVER you retards lol

You've been on the idle server for 13 days, I've designed this map for 10 years and the server has my name on it, shut up.

I guess we'll see how time spans out. My only hope is for the one of the last remaining popular idle servers not to die. However, this type of "out with the old, in with the new" isn't something new for Skial and it's worked lol.

Except you can still spawn camp. It will just take you 10 minutes instead of 10 seconds.

n3onxlpmitgurken

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
images

HankusTheTankus

Banned
Contributor
fr tho no one fucking cares about spawn camping the .01 percent who do are literally kids with russian accents spamming the national anthem
that is ALSO completely incorrect, and you're making the rest of us look bad and ruining our argument. please stop.

Bottiger

Administrator
i don't know why you keep saying this. that's not what the majority of people care about. there are way more valid concerns than "no spawn camp bad".

That is what people care about, even if they can't admit it.

There is more than enough space for the map. The map area was made 3x larger, and you can sticky jump/surf from the ramp to the original area.

You can destroy teleporters by sniping them. They can't be built in a spot that is unshootable now.

HankusTheTankus

Banned
Contributor
That is what people care about, even if they can't admit it.

There is more than enough space for the map. The map area was made 3x larger, and you can sticky jump/surf from the ramp to the original area.

You can destroy teleporters by sniping them. They can't be built in a spot that is unshootable now.

"even if they can't admit it"? so you're blatantly ignoring the things we're actually telling you. jesus christ.

reminds me of that meme of principal skinner. "no, it is the playerbase that is wrong" lmao

Bottiger

Administrator
"even if they can't admit it"? so you're blatantly ignoring the things we're actually telling you. jesus christ.

reminds me of that meme of principal skinner. "no, it is the playerbase that is wrong" lmao

Everything that people complained about short of having 10 second spawn camp again was fixed in 1 day or just plain wrong (map being too small and can't surf/jump anywhere).