GoldSrc

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
This is a classic case of "If it's not broken, don't fix it." This perversion of an otherwise good map is no longer unique, it's just like any other idle server. There are already tons of know glitches and shit that people don't like. For the betterment of Idle regulars and nonregulars, I think Idle should be reverted. I know it's only been one day, but please take this seriously.

fred durst fan

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
+1 we the people deserve a good map not a limiting map its always been fair there was no need for this it was pointless and embarrassing

Hellgasims

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
As someone whos played on almost every version of this map since it came out, yes I agree with bottiger where he says change is hard, but it feels the map has been stripped away and dummed down - and we all know the trend of dumming and babying various versions of awesomebox modified by other people; dead server.

Not fun anymore. Not going to protest or anything, just won't be donating or spending much time there, that's all.

Last edited:

Angry Man Dan

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
Now with the most recent change, you can make an argument that this accomplished Bottiger's goal since it is actually much harder to spawncamp. The only counter argument I could see is that it might drive away regulars and cause the server to die, but since I don't play on any other idle servers I don't have the experience to say how likely that is. Personally I actually don't mind as much as the other regulars do (although I'd say I still prefer the old version) because spawncamping could be quite boring at times and if anything this makes it more interesting because it requires a lot more coordination to set one up. My only complaints now are that the hitch of the train in the sky still doesn't teleport you to the actual skybox anymore (I'm assuming this is unintentional because all you would accomplish by removing it is making the server less fun) and the water in the skybox is no longer animated and just a still texture.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
An update that nerfs the overpowered skybox and now it’s the end of the world?

no one is forcing you to donate, we greatly appreciate donations, but threats to revoke donations are sad

Hellgasims

Contributor

no one is forcing you to donate, we greatly appreciate donations, but threats to revoke donations are sad

I think you may be interpreting my criticism of the updated server as hostility or not taking into account everyone's criticism on the server. I love donating to the server and skial ever since it was a feature. If I'm not going to play on it / spend less time there, is there a reason I should keep donating if it's the only skial server I play on?

No need to take offense - it's player feedback.

Bottiger

Administrator
There has been countless videos complaining about the spawn camping in awesomebox. It was never meant to be something that can be setup in 10 seconds.

You've played all the versions of it, you should know that we've been trying to figure out how to remove that. It has been unfixed for so long that you are too used to it.

I'm sorry that your favorite gameplay is setting up a 10 second spawn camp, but the way it was, isn't best for the server.

You can still spawn camp, it'll just take you some more time so you can't just do it again after the victims took 10 minutes to get a lucky RTD combo off to clear you out.

Hellgasims

Contributor
This is the first time hearing that we've been trying to mitigate spawncamping. I have direct quotes from some of your staff mentioning if spawncamping is eliminated, the server dies whether you like it or not. Look at all of the other versions out there of awesomebox that have been doctored up to prevent any sort of spawncamping and tell me they're doing well with full servers and people waiting to get on.

To reply to people bitching and moaning and making ridiculous videos because they can't figure out how the game works, it was perfect how it was because there was always a way out. Even without donor abilities, I'm easily able to escape and come into spawn from behind to wreck what the campers set up. Albeit might be because it's certainly not the only (and definitely not favorite) game mode I currently play and also that I know how to play the game, but there's no closed gap / closed loop to where it's impossible to get out and figure it out.

Again, this is speaking from trends I've been monitoring excluding Skial. Look at the server activity from when a bunch of OGs re-donated (i.e. more spawncamping).

Stats speak volumes over personal opinion and I'm just trying to relay that. There is no reason to get upset with what your own community is giving feedback on.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
I think you may be interpreting my criticism of the updated server as hostility or not taking into account everyone's criticism on the server. I love donating to the server and skial ever since it was a feature. If I'm not going to play on it / spend less time there, is there a reason I should keep donating if it's the only skial server I play on?

No need to take offense - it's player feedback.
Bottiger is the person working on awesomebox right now, you realize that right?

GoldSrc

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor

Y'know for the longest time I secretely suspected that you actually are brainless, and this just confirms it. There are so many other ways to nerf the skybox without limiting what you can actually do. If anything, spawncamping is easier since now if an engineer sets up on the teleporter to the skybox, there is no way to kill the teleporter besides climbing up to it (since sticky jumping no longer works).

GoldSrc

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Also I forgot to mention the 21-2 vote and the fact that almost everyone who I've talked to about it wants it to change. Are you really going to stick to your guns despite unanimous disapproval of this map?

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
Y'know for the longest time I secretely suspected that you actually are brainless, and this just confirms it. There are so many other ways to nerf the skybox without limiting what you can actually do. If anything, spawncamping is easier since now if an engineer sets up on the teleporter to the skybox, there is no way to kill the teleporter besides climbing up to it (since sticky jumping no longer works).

And you are going to ignore me saying I'm not the one who made the changes you're mad about, and insist it was me because you want it to be me. I did not update awesomebox recently, Bottiger did. So why am I responsible for his changes? I'm not.

You know I'm not the one who updated it recently, you got nettled at my profile status and made a comment, you saw my comment to the other Idle player, or is this just convenient illiteracy?
2021-06-05-10-42-53-Jermaphobe-Skial-Mozilla-Firefox.png

Also I forgot to mention the 21-2 vote and the fact that almost everyone who I've talked to about it wants it to change. Are you really going to stick to your guns despite unanimous disapproval of this map?
Ask Bottiger

GoldSrc

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
And you are going to ignore me saying I'm not the one who made the changes you're mad about, and insist it was me because you want it to be me. I did not update awesomebox recently, Bottiger did. So why am I responsible for his changes? I'm not.

You know I'm not the one who updated it recently, you got nettled at my profile status and made a comment, you saw my comment to the other Idle player, or is this just convenient illiteracy?
2021-06-05-10-42-53-Jermaphobe-Skial-Mozilla-Firefox.png

Ask Bottiger
lol

I never said you are the one who made the changes, I just disagree with you. You often do simply dismiss people who have criticism towards you.

Last edited:

Hellgasims

Contributor
Jerma, you cannot make egregious statements such as you have in this post and then play victim. Coming in with a bomb and then not expecting push back or retaliation is simply childish.

All of us have been giving our feedback as a community who plays on the map often. No one claimed that you are responsible for these changes. There is really no reason to start getting defensive if you had nothing to do with the most recent version of the map.

TopHatMedic

Unremarkable User
Hot Garbage now, like seriously? Movement feels more restricted now on where the path is, you can set up teleporters on skybox platform, and the path changes. Do something.

Zeke Aileron

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
After reading through this and how the new current idle server map is a problem to the regulars of that server, i understand Bot's statement with change is hard; however, the people can support change if they looked into Jermaphobe's idle map version instead from my knowledge it's supposedly a variant version of Awesomebox https://www.skial.com/threads/achievement_idle_sandbox-for-bottigers-24-7-idle-trade.91143/ , it still requires support, but i'm pretty sure it getting more support to it could make it the new map for you guys, and from my understanding that you guys say he doesn't take criticism, but for his map he certainly would if it's to make it more enjoyable for the community it was made for even if it supposedly based...

If anything, just take a look at it and at least give him feedback for the map on that thread, a map that he made, not the one that Bot updated which would be the current map on the server.