• If you are not the person that was banned/muted, you are only allowed to post evidence. Trash talk is unnecessary.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeBubblesDahling

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Wouldn't impersonation with the intent to harm someone's reputation count as slander/libel? From what I know it would be, which would be illegal on some level. I'd think Skial would think it prudent to prevent that kind of activity from occurring on their servers. Making things that are legitimately against the law bannable seems smart. Knowingly allowing people to break the law on your servers opens yourself up to all sorts of potential legal problems. It is a good idea to ban people who are committing acts of slander/libel. Especially if it's as clear as it is in this case.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Wouldn't impersonation with the intent to harm someone's reputation count as slander/libel? From what I know it would be, which would be illegal on some level. I'd think Skial would think it prudent to prevent that kind of activity from occurring on their servers. Making things that are legitimately against the law bannable seems smart. Knowingly allowing people to break the law on your servers opens yourself up to all sorts of potential legal problems. It is a good idea to ban people who are committing acts of slander/libel. Especially if it's as clear as it is in this case.

Having the same name as someone else is not illegal either. There is someone that works in my school district that has the exact same name as me. Sometimes they send him my paycheck...but that's another story. Just like my school district can check SSN's to make sure they know who is who, people can check Steam IDs.

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
It wasn't just the SD tag, he had two accounts with the full name copied from rayqazard. Still not against the rules though.
The problem I see here is that only his friends would know it isn't really him. No it isn't against the rules but surely there is something we can do to protect the identity of our players? I'm not speaking of just a players name because there are several multiples. What if someone changes their name to OakyTree and acts like an asshole to everyone on every server yet DOESN'T call himself an admin?

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
The problem I see here is that only his friends would know it isn't really him. No it isn't against the rules but surely there is something we can do to protect the identity of our players? I'm not speaking of just a players name because there are several multiples. What if someone changes their name to OakyTree and acts like an asshole to everyone on every server yet DOESN'T call himself an admin?

If he isn't pretending to be our Oakytree than I wouldn't do anything. Hvaing the same name isn't the same as impersonating.

People can verify their friend by typing status in console. Or they can verify their friends by looking at their friends list.

[YDEK] fi$hy k!tty

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
Doesn't Jungle already have a reputation? :\

Also ban Oaky for admin impersonation cause I found out he wasn't really a TF2 admin and now I'm sad :c

Kairi

Banned
Contributor
Doesn't Jungle already have a reputation? :\

Also ban Oaky for admin impersonation cause I found out he wasn't really a TF2 admin and now I'm sad :c
He is a forum admin so whats impersonating about it?

Maybe think about getting a rule how far an impersonating can go to get a ban for. Because impersonating to get an innocent player banned is wrong. Just impersonating to troll is something else. Just a suggestion.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
Okay, so let's get back on the subject here. Is this guy going to get unbanned or not? I think we have established what should be punishable impersonation, as it clearly states in the rules what we punish.

The dodging is an important factor as well, even if the ban gets overturned.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
He wasnt able to enter the servers though. So he didn't dodge he attempted but failed

I didn't realize they were both connected at the same time, and a double punishment was handed to the same person for the same offense. I just looked at the ban times and assumed that this ban couldn't get any more insane.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I didn't realize they were both connected at the same time, and a double punishment was handed to the same person for the same offense. I just looked at the ban times and assumed that this ban couldn't get any more insane.

Switching to a second alt that was already on the server is still dodging. He probably assumed the other ray was the real one, no one is perfect.

Avenger

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Alright, this guy's chatlog seems fairly clean
Although he's not very good at English for someone from England
I saw something that might have been voteabuse, and a votereport on Dave for "douching"
I do agree with Oaky, though

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Alright this discussion has gone on long enough. I really don't want to get bottiger in here since he expects the admins to take care of these...

Impersonating people is not against the rules. If you want to update the rules to include something like this, please make a suggestion in the suggestions section.

I will unban you. We have had enough admins opinions on this matter.

However please keep in mind that if you get on another account while you are banned or muted, your ban will be increased. We do not tolerate people who dodge the system. If you ever feel like the ban is unjust, please come to the forums and make an appeal.

Reactions: mittens
Status
Not open for further replies.