Arcala

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
Yes, I'm aware that this is controversial to post, and I'm sure it won't get any traction amongst Skial admins but here goes anyway!

I believe there is no reason for micspamming or using a soundboard to be punishable by muting and gagging, and here's a couple reasons why:

Number 1, TF2 has a built in mute function, and Skial Servers have the !ignore command. Players on the Skial servers already have ability to mute and gag people that they don't want to hear from without needing to report these players and add extra work onto the admins. This is something that is already being preached by the admins. This is an example that has been told to me , I wasn't here for these particular events, but recently there was a kid who was screaming and yelling and being generally obnoxious in the voice chat, and someone had started a votemute. The votemute failed and an admin had this to say:
1688577537964.png

What's the difference between the above situation and someone who micspams? Arguably there's nothing that separates the two aside from the content being played over the microphone, just use !ignore to mute the player playing music over the VC just like you would do so to mute an annoying kid screaming over VC. Alternatively you can even use the built in mute function in TF2 to mute these problem players yourself as well, though doing it this way prevents you from seeing their chat messages. This leads into my next point:

Number 2, users are able to votesilence. If it gets to a point where enough users are irritated, players have the ability to call a votesilence on a user for 30 minutes if the vote passes. Now ultimately doing this is pretty worthless when you have access to !ignore and the mute button, but it's still very much a valid option if a majority of players do not like what is being played, or if a particular user is crossing boundaries or being a nuisance.

Now I know what you might say next: "But Arcala, you only play on surf servers, you don't understand how that could affect servers like Payload or Casual where users need to be able to hear each other to coordinate pushes and call out spies!" That's a very valid point to bring up, but I would have to refer you back to my first paragraph: Ultimately you have your own power to mute these people, you don't have to listen to them if you don't want to. Skial and TF2 gives you the tools to curate your own playing experience. Let's talk about implementation for a moment, shall we? Despite everything I've talked about you may still be hesitant to allow micspamming on more serious servers like Casual and Payload, or even on something less serious like the Trade servers as micspamming can prevent people actively trying to set prices and advertise their wares. I also know that allowing exceptions to rules can be messy and a slippery slope if handled incorrectly, but I'd like to suggest making exceptions for servers where the feel of the game is already silly and fairly easy going. Servers that come to mind that are a great example of this are Zombie Escape, Death Run, Freak Fortress, Idle Trade, High Tower, 2Fort, and my favorite and home server: Surf.

In conclusion, I understand that micspamming isn't for everyone, but every user has the capability to curate their own player experience, whether that be through using !ignore, using the mute button that TF2 comes with natively, or votesilencing someone that the whole server disagrees with. Even if you don't allow micspamming on all servers, just a few, player retention should rise and the amount of reports admins need to respond to should fall, theoretically. I hope that I made a compelling argument for the inclusion of micspamming in Skial servers, and if not I hope that this was at least a decent read even if it may have been slightly rambly.

Regards,
Arcala

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
-1 If I want to listen to 240p quality videos and music, I'll look it up myself. We also don't need to enable creeps to play more CP and Hitler speeches over mic.

KalashnikovA

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Ok so, it was turned off because it was annoying. But what is the point of the !ignore command? There are 3 options available to each individual that allow them to decide for themselves whether or not they want to hear the music. The thread doesn't answer my question at all.
The !ignore command is for an individual that does not want to listen to another person that is not breaking the rules.

Stove™

Positively Inhumane Poster
I feel like every couple of months a bunch of people get rightfully muted for micspam and then try to challenge the rules and make these stupid suggestions.

Aren't you guys tired? You're going to keep getting declined. Give up and move on.

-1 btw.

Freens

Mildly Menacing Medic
Ok so, the post is about making micspamming NOT against the rules right? SO lets say, hypothetically, that micspamming is not against the rules, wouldn't the ignore command do literally exactly that?

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Ok so, it was turned off because it was annoying. But what is the point of the !ignore command?
For people you don't want to hear. IE: Kids you don't wanna listen to, people you just plain don't like, maybe you just don't want to hear VC at all from anybody. It also only works per-session, so if you or they leave and come back they are no longer !ignored

There are 3 options available to each individual that allow them to decide for themselves whether or not they want to hear the music.
No, they have 2 options. 1. Micspam and get muted for breaking the rules. 2. Not micspam and not get muted.

The creator of this thread and the other guy who +1'd are currently muted for micspam. They are incapable of following the rules, so they want the rules changed instead.

• Dumb
Reactions: Arcala

Arcala

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
I'm actually muted for "homophobia" against a bigot who was actually being a homophobe, but thank you for not actually reading what my ban was about :)

Also, what's wrong with suggesting that the rules be changed if you don't like the rules? Isn't that the basic function of this forum?

Freens

Mildly Menacing Medic
For people you don't want to hear. IE: Kids you don't wanna listen to, people you just plain don't like, maybe you just don't want to hear VC at all from anybody.

No, they have 2 options. 1. Micspam and get muted for breaking the rules. 2. Not micspam and not get muted.

The creator of this thread and the other guy who +1'd are muted for micspam. They are incapable of following the rules, so they want the rules changed instead.
I agree that neither of them should've micspammed as it is against the rules and they should've known they would get muted. But nobody has yet to answer WHY it is against the rules when so many options exist to make it not a problem. This isn't about trying to win a score, its about opening a discussion about the possibility of this rule not being necessary.

and TBH it seems like all of the people -1ing aren't even attempting to think about if it really is necessary. Ya'll gang up for what reason?

Arcala

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
I agree that neither of them should've micspammed as it is against the rules and they should've known they would get muted. But nobody has yet to answer WHY it is against the rules when so many options exist to make it not a problem. This isn't about trying to win a score, its about opening a discussion about the possibility of this rule not being necessary.

and TBH it seems like all of the people -1ing aren't even attempting to think about if it really is necessary. Ya'll gang up for what reason?
+1 I agree with what Freens is saying, nobody is saying why micspamming is against the rules other than "becuz" like a parent talking down to their child when they don't want to actually engage them in a healthy way. If you can provide a good excuse for why micspamming shouldn't be allowed that !ignore, the mute button, and vote silencing can't fix then these threads would probably stop popping up but as of right now a majority of the people affected by this are frustrated because of the lack of reasoning when the tools necessary to prevent the problem on your side are already provided.

Freens

Mildly Menacing Medic
We KNOW its against the rules and that some people find it annoying. The post is about making it NOT against the rules
For people you don't want to hear. IE: Kids you don't wanna listen to, people you just plain don't like, maybe you just don't want to hear VC at all from anybody. It also only works per-session, so if you or they leave and come back they are no longer !ignored

The creator of this thread and the other guy who +1'd are currently muted for micspam. They are incapable of following the rules, so they want the rules changed "
"Kids you don't wanna listen to, people you just plain don't like, maybe you just don't want to hear VC at all from anybody."

Do micspammers not fall in this category? Do you see our argument now?