The Best Bast

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Hello everyone, I hope my title isn't too confusing, but I'll explain.

I have noticed several reports for the use of the homophobic f-word, be it in three or six letters. Since the console can, as it's possible with the use of the n-slur, wouldn't it be convenient to add these two words to the list of banned words, to have its users silenced for 120 minutes for homophobia (and have the length of their punishment adapted by an admin depending on previous offenses if necessary) ? I'm suggesting this because it seems empirically that the use of this word is always an offense, no matter the context, and is always leading to a silence in the end.

In case an admin isn't on the server during the offense, that would prevent slur-using flamers from going into rants with escalating toxicity and being more and more vocal and / or annoying before being reported and silenced, reducing the risk of creating an atmosphere that would make other players leave. That would also be easier to deal with, be it for players willing to report rule-breakers or for admins having fewer reports to check.

Just an idea that crossed my mind. I hope it's doable and / or interesting, else, sorry for the bother.

yansi

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
Bump.

There is no way that out of all the threads that were ever made here on skial, THIS has to be one of them that gets buried within the "new" purgatory. This will literally benefit the entirety of skial for both the players and the moderation team and it doesn't matter what a couple of borderline homophobic ZE players think about it.

Keep in mind, there are 30 +1s this thread. It's one of the most viewed suggestions threads in the entirely of skial thus far. If that and the overwhelming support that players have put into this to be accepted, then I don't know what will.

I already upvoted this thread but I will say it now and until the goal is met,

+1 This Needs To Be Approved.

StanleYBH

TF2 Admin
Contributor
I'll like to say again that one of my points still stands. There is still one map in Skials entire pool that calls players the f-word and that's ze_randomizer_p2

This will not make sense if Skial has not changed the stage in ze_randomizer_p2 that calls players the f-word.

I appreciate the admins' efforts to keep the word off the servers, but if we have a map in the pool that teaches players to say the f-word and the players start using it and getting muted, then ban appeals will be filed asking why Skial can say it but players can't.

Whether or not you like it, ZE is still a part of Skial, and we have to find common ground together.

This will literally benefit the entirety of skial for both the players and the moderation team and it doesn't matter what a couple of borderline homophobic ZE players think about it.
Saying this won't make the situation any better

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I'll like to say again that one of my points still stands. There is still one map in Skials entire pool that calls players the f-word and that's ze_randomizer_p2

This will not make sense if Skial has not changed the stage in ze_randomizer_p2 that calls players the f-word.

I appreciate the admins' efforts to keep the word off the servers, but if we have a map in the pool that teaches players to say the f-word and the players start using it and getting muted, then ban appeals will be filed asking why Skial can say it but players can't.

If it's not as big of a deal as ZE claims then they should have absolutely 0 problems with a very minor map edit that changes it to say something else.

A boi

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Bump.

There is no way that out of all the threads that were ever made here on skial, THIS has to be one of them that gets buried within the "new" purgatory. This will literally benefit the entirety of skial for both the players and the moderation team and it doesn't matter what a couple of borderline homophobic ZE players think about it.

Keep in mind, there are 30 +1s this thread. It's one of the most viewed suggestions threads in the entirely of skial thus far. If that and the overwhelming support that players have put into this to be accepted, then I don't know what will.

I already upvoted this thread but I will say it now and until the goal is met,

+1 This Needs To Be Approved.
"Borderline homophobic is when using a word thats not even meant for gay people"
Laserfag is used for people who are good at lasers or are fanatic about it, its not that deep, and have never seen it being used to even indirectly reference homosexuals, losing a word thats casual banter at worst for some bad actors rubs me the wrong way.

I wouldn't mind if it was reconsidered to have exceptions to the filter.

Reactions: VentureDev

VentureDev

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
The contents of maps should not be edited on the basis of offending groups of people.

How long will it take for other 'offensive' parts of ZE maps to get edited?

Attachments

• 1677204110075.png
    1677204110075.png
    136 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

mato

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Yeah, pretty sure using slurs regardless of the situation is kinda toxic. Thats like saying GlowN***** should be allowed because its not meant to be racist but actual refers to FBI agents. Like, bruh, its still a slur.

Edit: Also not sure how long this threads gonna stay up, bur its 23-4 in favor of banning the F-slur
oh yes saying "im such a laserfag" is gonna make some1 feel harrased

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Funny that nobody in this thread has said it hurts them, nobody has even said it has offended them personaly (of course they most likely will now), I guess they just feel it could be seen as offensive by someone, somewhere, at sometime, and left unchecked these 'offenders' could easily spiral out of control and the server would no doubt decend into a state of depravity and carnage.
Of course all the hate would be stopped if Skial would only punish users who string 3 letters together on a screen in a certain way.. we're doing the lords work here.

Whurr

Uncharitable Spy
"Borderline homophobic is when using a word thats not even meant for gay people"
Laserfag is used for people who are good at lasers or are fanatic about it, its not that deep, and have never seen it being used to even indirectly reference homosexuals, losing a word thats casual banter at worst for some bad actors rubs me the wrong way.

I wouldn't mind if it was reconsidered to have exceptions to the filter.

you could also just
pick a better way of calling people who are skilled at lasers/fanatic about lasers something other than laserfag.
like imagine if VSH players called skilled hales "Halefag" you're just putting the word "fag" in there for no reason at all when you could just say "oh, X is a skilled hale player" just call people who are skilled at lasers, skilled at lasers. it's not that hard.

Reactions: MarshHag

mato

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
you could also just
pick a better way of calling people who are skilled at lasers/fanatic about lasers something other than laserfag.
like imagine if VSH players called skilled hales "Halefag" you're just putting the word "fag" in there for no reason at all when you could just say "oh, X is a skilled hale player" just call people who are skilled at lasers, skilled at lasers. it's not that hard.
oh yes lets just ignore the fact that laserfag has been a word from the start of ze

MarshHag

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
oh yes lets just ignore the fact that laserfag has been a word from the start of ze
So come up with a new word then. I don't see how saying "laserfag" is essential to ZE. Maybe say "lasertard" or something, idk. I'm sure there's a better name that can be brought up without using the word "fag" in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sore