The Best Bast

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Hello everyone, I hope my title isn't too confusing, but I'll explain.

I have noticed several reports for the use of the homophobic f-word, be it in three or six letters. Since the console can, as it's possible with the use of the n-slur, wouldn't it be convenient to add these two words to the list of banned words, to have its users silenced for 120 minutes for homophobia (and have the length of their punishment adapted by an admin depending on previous offenses if necessary) ? I'm suggesting this because it seems empirically that the use of this word is always an offense, no matter the context, and is always leading to a silence in the end.

In case an admin isn't on the server during the offense, that would prevent slur-using flamers from going into rants with escalating toxicity and being more and more vocal and / or annoying before being reported and silenced, reducing the risk of creating an atmosphere that would make other players leave. That would also be easier to deal with, be it for players willing to report rule-breakers or for admins having fewer reports to check.

Just an idea that crossed my mind. I hope it's doable and / or interesting, else, sorry for the bother.

Arcala

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
As a member of the LGBT community, I don't get offended by the use of this word and I think we should try reclaiming it like we did Queer. As I got muted for saying it in response to an actual legitimate homophobe, who also said it and called me a "dog fucker" for being a furry, I feel like having the words being added would not be a bad idea and would save the mods a lot of work from having to approve additional mutes. +1

PoomBa

Uncharitable Spy

I have noticed several reports for the use of the homophobic f-word, be it in three or six letters. Since the console can, as it's possible with the use of the n-slur, wouldn't it be convenient to add these two words to the list of banned words, to have its users silenced for 120 minutes for homophobia (and have the length of their punishment adapted by an admin depending on previous offenses if necessary) ? I'm suggesting this because it seems empirically that the use of this word is always an offense, no matter the context, and is always leading to a silence in the end.

In case an admin isn't on the server during the offense, that would prevent slur-using flamers from going into rants with escalating toxicity and being more and more vocal and / or annoying before being reported and silenced, reducing the risk of creating an atmosphere that would make other players leave. That would also be easier to deal with, be it for players willing to report rule-breakers or for admins having fewer reports to check.

Just an idea that crossed my mind. I hope it's doable and / or interesting, else, sorry for the bother.Cr

Just an idea that crossed my mind. I hope it's doable and / or

Just an idea that crossed my mind. I hope it's doable and / or interesting, else, sorry for the bother.

More rules like this skial get died faster , don't liked some one used fuk.n Mute button. Just play the game. Some idiot start talk shit mute idiot or report him. Some time you cant fixed some peoples !!!! Grown UP ! -1

Sheev_Palpatine

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
More rules like this skial get died faster , don't liked some one used fuk.n Mute button. Just play the game. Some idiot start talk shit mute idiot or report him. Some time you cant fixed some peoples !!!! Grown UP ! -1
It's literally adding it to the filter so it is automated vs having to manually do it for every instance. It's already against the rules.

_Félix_

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
so I'm 🤔 when it comes to automated filters.
Personally, idgaf what people say, but I understand that some people do get upset by specific words. My mentality is let the people say what they will so we can find out who the assholes are. But that mentality doesn't work for all.

On one side, it is less work for admins.
On the other, automated filters don't take context into consideration.
By context, I mean, calling someone a slur is a problem, but using it in specific contexts like "He called someone a <slur>" when asking about what someone did or pasting "<name>: u r a <slur>" in reference to someone saying they never did something isn't a problem(at least from my perspective).

Also not to forget that the word has other meanings too, such as a type of dish they eat in England, or a bundle of sticks. But the chances of someone using it in that context is low compared to using it as a insult.

As for reclaiming it, not really on board with that unless everyone can use it. Not fond of "our word" type words. Everyone uses it or no one uses it.

I personally use fur*** (Calling myself and close friends who are also furries, we do it in jest) in places where I know people wont get offended, but I am also a fur*** and gay so I might be able to get away with it, I don't care if others call me it I find it funny. But I also don't use it in skial because idk what the ruling on it would be in using it in jest or in other contexts where it isn't insulting targetting a specific sexuality so 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

this is my two cents on the suggestion, neither for or against it.

Last edited:

Bloodpop

Uncharitable Spy

1+

TheAssailant

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
I don't have a strong opinion either way, but if a bundle of sticks is officially banned in its 3 and 6 letter forms, the "fgt" abbreviation should be as well.

Reactions: MarshHag

Pot Head Wabbit

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
I don't have a strong opinion either way, but if a bundle of sticks is officially banned in its 3 and 6 letter forms, the "fgt" abbreviation should be as well.
it should probably be as strict as the n word filter is, not sure if the n word filters "NI" but maybe "FG" should also be if "NI" is because people just shorthand it.

jose.gonzales2006

Mildly Menacing Medic

i dont play on skial but this just seems like a common sense choice to make, obviously with an announcement or a listed change somewhere

Polaris

Wicked Nasty Engineer
To be honest, this word has lots of uses as some people said before. I think that it shouldnt be console banned because some people can try to get you banned like when you say "Niger" in chat. Also, don't forget that there are mods and if you see that somebody is using it with bad intentions you can file a report which is better than the console ban. I feel extremely disgusted with these behaviours because I know what it is to be harrassed by a bunch of assholes who are mad because they lost the game. They tend to look into your profile and look for anything that they can differ in and discriminate you against. These are the people that we should get banned. And hence the reason why I gave it a -1

gala

Contributor
you can file a report which is better than the console ban
Most people are lazy and will not file reports, instead they complain how Skial is racist/toxic and admins are not doing anything

The 2 hour console mutes are great to have for when there are enough of them we simply give them a permanent mute. People also see that action is taken immediately

Last edited:

Polaris

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Most people are lazy and will not file reports, instead they complain how Skial is racist/toxic and admins are not doing anything

The 2 hour console mutes are great to have for when there are enough of them we simply give them a permanent mute. People also see that action is taken immediately
Thats a really good point, but what happens to people that get trolled and get muted?