Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
you cannot help me if you don't bother to read the post. Im not being a cunt, you are just not being useful. You cannot help someone if you do not read the information they laid out for you.

I did read it, I simply skimmed it - like I said I apologize I didn't read it more thoroughly, but that's beside the point now - your power supply wattage is sufficient for that particular card. What is the video card's temperature currently while idle, and what is the card's temperature while you have a game open?

Ninja_DC

Face-Melting F2Per
I did read it, I simply skimmed it - like I said I apologize I didn't read it more thoroughly, but that's beside the point now - your power supply wattage is sufficient for that particular card. What is the video card's temperature currently while idle, and what is the card's temperature while you have a game open?
It was 29degrees while running a benchmark.
It sounds like the card is malfunctioning or it cannot access higher performance states.

Luckyboxes

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Sounds to me like you blew up your graphics card... they have capacitors too and the "pop" / artifacting is the tell tale sign. You can try to take it out of your PC and visually inspect it for damage, then reseat it and hope for the best. But really your best option is to take it out and either replace it with a spare graphics card or use onboard graphics if your mobo has it and see if that fixes the problem.

Either way... I hope your graphics card has a good warranty. Maybe you can get rid of your crappy 550ti and get something better!

Edit:

That PSU is also kind of terrible. The only passable one in the Rosewill series is maybe the HIVE. Not that your computer will blow up or anything, but in the future you may want to consider a better brand.

You don't need a top end super expensive one... there are plenty of great options in the wattage you require. I personally love the Corsair CX430 and always recommend it for systems that don't require a lot of juice.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It was 29degrees while running a benchmark.
It sounds like the card is malfunctioning or it cannot access higher performance states.

The most obvious assumption is it's his video card as he's pointed out. If the temps are still off, see if you can't borrow another video card from someone in your house and/or your friend. If that is not an option the other thing I normally recommend that isn't exactly moral is to borrow one from Staples, their policy is to accept it back without question...so I'd buy the card, test it out, if that fixes said issue I'd then bring it back and get the money back, and buy a more affordable card elsewhere.

krze

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
:eek:
That PSU is also kind of terrible. The only passable one in the Rosewill series is maybe the HIVE. Not that your computer will blow up or anything, but in the future you may want to consider a better brand.

You don't need a top end super expensive one... there are plenty of great options in the wattage you require. I personally love the Corsair CX430 and always recommend it for systems that don't require a lot of juice.
This.

Anyway, you won't be able to tell unless you swap out your GPU or PSU to test it out and it's easier to just swap out the GPU. So try to barrow one or do what Antamania said.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
You didn't say who the manufacturer of the card was. (EVGA, MSI, etc)

If it's one of the brands with a better warranty it shouldn't be old enough to be out of warranty. In that case it would likely be easier for you to just RMA (advanced RMA if possible) the card than it would be to diagnose the problem over the internet.

Failing that, you'll need to talk to tech support anyway to get an RMA approval, so see if they can help you figure it out. (doubt it)

Sounds more like the card itself is the issue, doesn't seem like a psu problem.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
i know its not a psu problem. i just got found out i have 3 years of warranty so i can easily get it replaced. problem is i most likely have to ship it to them first before i can get it replaced.

ohh and the manufacturer is Asus

joemaster725

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
how old is your gpu? if you have just got it, or it is less than a year old, check nividea's weabsite. normally all places have standard 1 year rma program. just call them, and tell them that it blew for no apparent reason, and normally they tell you to send it in, and they will send you a new one. also, it may be about time to invest into a new power supply. i know 400w is on the low end, and unless all you have in it is that powerfull gpu, you are going to need more watts to run the entire rig (says the guy who went overboard and got a 1000w psu)

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
i know its not a psu problem. i just got found out i have 3 years of warranty so i can easily get it replaced. problem is i most likely have to ship it to them first before i can get it replaced.

ohh and the manufacturer is Asus
It's iffy on whether or not asus offers advanced rma's for graphics cards, talk to support and ask if they can set you up with an advanced rma.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
then it crashed and gave me an error "Something has stop working but has successfully recovered"
^^^ That "something" is drivers. I assume when you refreshed your drivers you did it through Device Manager. If that is the case - it's a problem since you haven't installed native drivers.
Since you mentioned that your card is GeForce 550 TI, go to:

1. If you have 32bit OS: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/44966
2. If you have 64bit OS: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/44967

Download and install drivers from NVidia. I had similar problem and installing native drivers seemed to resolve it.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
^^^ That "something" is drivers. I assume when you refreshed your drivers you did it through Device Manager. If that is the case - it's a problem since you haven't installed native drivers.
Since you mentioned that your card is GeForce 550 TI, go to:

1. If you have 32bit OS: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/44966
2. If you have 64bit OS: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/44967

Download and install drivers from NVidia. I had similar problem and installing native drivers seemed to resolve it.
Someone already suggested that, whether or not he did it, I don't know.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Someone already suggested that, whether or not he did it, I don't know.
I don't see it in this thread.
My drivers are already up-to date
Once again "up-to-date" drivers installed through device manager are worth shit. Download normal native up-to-date drivers from NVidia's site.
You have to reinstall them because they are corrupted.
^^^That. Problem described by you (1. graphical artifacts; 2. low FPS upon "up-to-date" drivers' installation; 3. Driver crash error you got) are pointing to shitty drivers Microsoft got for your 500Ti.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
i think i forgot to mention i already tried the drivers

i find the driver
i hit download
i hit install
it installs i run through setup

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Checkered textures is a sign of a faulty graphic card. Usually caused by overheating but not always.

Popping electronics is an indication of a blown capacitor. They are most present on graphic cards, motherboards, and power supplies. It was probably your graphic card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

yeah roman suggested that. All the capacitors seemed to be okay, i looked at it for a while yesterday. both on the MoBo and the graphics card.

I think i know why its acting up, i spilled some kind of alcohol in my computer one night. I have usb ports on the top of my computer. So i think it sunk in and hit the graphics card. Idk to be honest. maybe i fried something or made something short circut

Bottiger

Administrator
I would use an overclocking tool to make sure it is running at the correct frequencies. If it isn't try to raise it to the correct ones.

If it still crashes or doesn't work, I would return the card.