KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Well i am having trouble determining what the issue is.I think its my graphics card.

I got a GeForce 550 TI

Recently i was watching a movie on my computer when my whole screen turned into a checkerboard of black and pink squares. I then heard a pop, and immediately turned off the computer.

I opened my computer and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, and nothing was hot.

I turned my computer back on, and everything seemed to be fine.

Howerver, when i go to play tf2, i now hover around 20-30 FPS. And when i get more then 5 people on my screen, it gets lower. Obviously that is unplayable.

Now before you get onto me, i did try lowering my resolution, ruelels particle thingy, an fps config, and everything else.

Today, i opened up Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools and looked at my computers rating. It said "you computer drivers need to be refreshed" so i did. My graphics card went from a 7.1 rating to a 3.3 rating.

rating.png

So i decided to do a stress test on my graphics card. It was working for about 5 mins, giving me a 24 fps, temperature of 29 degrees, then it crashed and gave me an error "Something has stop working but has successfully recovered"

I checked my device manager and everything is fine in there as well.

I am assuming its my graphics card, however i do not want to buy a new one if anyone else has any ideas on another fix. Cause i really don't want to spend the money on it.

Isil

Epic Skial Regular
Where's Roman when you need him!

Also, I know your feel. My hard drive has a bad block or whatever the fuck that is and will be dying here shortly, forcing me to buy a 100+ dollar replacement.

Flurf

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Well i am having trouble determining what the issue is.I think its my graphics card.

So i decided to do a stress test on my graphics card. It was working for about 5 mins, giving me a 24 fps, temperature of 29 degrees, then it crashed and gave me an error "Something has stop working but has successfully recovered"

What did you stress test with?

krze

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Have you tried to re-seat the card?
Have you tried to remove cables (VGA/DVI and power) and reconnect? Maybe try a different power cable?
Have you tried to take an Air Compresser can to it and clean it out?

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Have you tried to re-seat the card?
Have you tried to remove cables (VGA/DVI and power) and reconnect? Maybe try a different power cable?
Have you tried to take an Air Compresser can to it and clean it out?

yes
brand new power supply so thats not the problem
yes. though it wasn't dusty/dirty to begin with

Edit: JD be useful or im deleting your posts

JayDee

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Oh, I'm serious, I had that problem, It simply returned to normal after I restarted >.>
So yes, i was being usefull.

flanky

Australian Skial God
Contributor
By the way, have you tested your hard drive for anything?
It's likely not the problem, but you can at least check everywhere.
EDIT: My intel HD graphics is a piece of shit, but it scored a 3.7. So it's most likely an error or malfunction with the graphics.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The easiest thing for you to do right now is to system recover to yesterday, or the day before - and see if that fixes it..always the first thing I recommend for just about any problem after someone downloads some kind of driver or something.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
The easiest thing for you to do right now is to system recover to yesterday, or the day before - and see if that fixes it..always the first thing I recommend for just about any problem after someone downloads some kind of driver or something.

i didn't download anything. That won't fix the problem

By the way, have you tested your hard drive for anything?
It's likely not the problem, but you can at least check everywhere.
EDIT: My intel HD graphics is a piece of shit, but it scored a 3.7. So it's most likely an error or malfunction with the graphics.

my harddrive is fine

flanky

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yeah, that's probably the best idea. Zebra could also try to perform a driver/disk check to make sure everything is working.
EDIT: Nevermind.

krze

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
yes
brand new power supply so thats not the problem
yes. though it wasn't dusty/dirty to begin with
New power supply doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't the problem, I've seen lots of PSU's turn out to be DOA. The pop is what is concerning me which is usually coming from a PSU. (bad capacitor) May I ask what type of PSU and GPU you have?

What I would do next is barrow a friends / family members GPU and test it out in your PC. That would help you pin point the problem better without spending any cash on new GPU.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
i didn't download anything. That won't fix the problem

my harddrive is fine

I misread - I thought I saw you type you downloaded drivers. I would say Krze probably has the right idea in that case, I kind of skimmed your post and didn't see you say you heard a "pop." when a videocard dies normally either the fan stops working, or it gets retardedly hot to the touch, since neither of these apparently seem to be the issue, it more than likely isn't your videocard. If your video card is dead it normally stops being acknowledged in device manager.

Is the wattage on your power supply sufficient for the wattage requirement on your video card?

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
I misread - I thought I saw you type you downloaded drivers. I would say Krze probably has the right idea in that case, I kind of skimmed your post and didn't see you say you heard a "pop." when a videocard dies normally either the fan stops working, or it gets retardedly hot to the touch, since neither of these apparently seem to be the issue, it more than likely isn't your videocard. If your video card is dead it normally stops being acknowledged in device manager.

Is the wattage on your power supply sufficient for the wattage requirement on your video card?

If you are just going to skim my post, don't bother posting because you won't be helping in the slighest

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If you are just going to skim my post, don't bother posting because you won't be helping in the slighest

No reason to be a cunt about it, I am trying to help you, god forbid someone misreads or skims something the great zebra posts. If you answer Krze and my question, I'm sure one of us can probably help.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
No reason to be a cunt about it, I am trying to help you, god forbid someone misreads or skims something the great zebra posts. If you answer Krze and my question, I'm sure one of us can probably help.

you cannot help me if you don't bother to read the post. Im not being a cunt, you are just not being useful. You cannot help someone if you do not read the information they laid out for you.