Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Not sure what's going on. I restarted Steam three times, restarted my laptop twice, verified the cache, and it still crashes on startup. I sent a question to Bethesda and they haven't replied and neither has Steam. Anyone got some ideas? My computer fully meets all the requirements as well. Really hope I didn't waste $30 for this game.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Not sure what's going on. I restarted Steam three times, restarted my laptop twice, verified the cache, and it still crashes on startup. I sent a question to Bethesda and they haven't replied and neither has Steam. Anyone got some ideas? My computer fully meets all the requirements as well. Really hope I didn't waste $30 for this game.
Open Event Log (Start -> right click on "My Computer", click "Manage", expand "Event Viewer"-> "Windows Logs" -> "Application", find an error in "Application" log right after the game crashes, take a screenshot and post here.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm looking for an error with the same time as the crash but there's nothing.

EDIT: Only thing I found that could be related to the crash was this:

WCSAZki.png

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm looking for an error with the same time as the crash but there's nothing.

EDIT: Only thing I found that could be related to the crash was this:

WCSAZki.png
This is exact error we need. Now double click on it (new window will popup with detailed description), take a screenshot and post it here.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Well, that sucks. This is the most generic message you might've got. Don't even know what to suggest. Try re-installing video card drivers. That would be the first thing I would do. Meanwhile I'll think of any other possible steps to take.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Things to try:
  1. Reinstall video card drivers and try to run the game;
  2. Disable antivirus software temporarily and try to run the game;
  3. Make sure you are running the latest DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package;
  4. Shut down any applications one by one you might be running. To do that, go to Notification area (in your right bottom corner) and close applications - EXAMPLE. Again, do it one by one and try to run the game after you close another application. That could help determining what application, if any, is interfering with your game.
  5. Go to Start -> type "msconfig" (no quotes) in Search bar and hit Enter. Switch to Startup tab and uncheck any programs that you don't need to actually run on Windows startup. EXAMPLE. Then reboot your PC and try to run the game.
  6. Reinstall the game.
That would be all help you could get from me for now. Next thing would be having a screen sharing session with you so I could see live what's going on.

PS> If you search Google for "Wolfenstein Crashing on Startup" you'll see that 90% of the threads are saying that re-installing video drivers fixed the problem. So I hope you should be all set at step 1 from the list above.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If I were to reinstall my video driver, what would I do if it still didn't work?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Well, that explains a lot. While it still doesn't really explain why the game is crashing, THIS benchmark test for your video card says the following:

vzxPlHJ.jpg

In two words - your laptop can't handle this game. It's either RAM, CPU, GPU or combination of them. That would be the best explanation you could get.
Sorry bud. You're out of luck.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Game system requirements:

lIi047P.jpg

Just so you know: Intel HD graphics chip is nowhere close to NVidia 460M.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Then that's probably the issue then. I have 12 GB of RAM and over 100 GB of space. It's gotta be the graphics card then. Well, shit. Spent $30 on a game that I can't even play.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Then that's probably the issue then. I have 12 GB of RAM and over 100 GB of space. It's gotta be the graphics card then. Well, shit. Spent $30 on a game that I can't even play.
You can. But on PC/laptop with more powerful video card.
Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, buddy.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Well shit. So I've gotta get that graphics card in order to play the game? How much would it be?