mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So, today when i came home, i booted up my computer like usual, and booted up windows (i have Ubuntu installed) and its just a blackscreen. I can see my cursor but thats it. Even booting in safe mode gives a blackscreen. For some reason when I start Ubunutu though, everything works fine. Does anyone have a good tool i can use to troubleshoot?

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
uhhh maybe try this.

1. Hit ctrl + alt + del
2. Open up task manager
3. Click on applications
4. Click on new task
5. type in explorer.exe

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
uhhh maybe try this.

1. Hit ctrl + alt + del
2. Open up task manager
3. Click on applications
4. Click on new task
5. type in explorer.exe
Ooops, forgot to say, I'm on ubuntu atm. Also i already did that, Ctrl-Alt-Del didnt work

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Why are u in Ubuntu if you are trying to fix a windows problem?

Go into windows and try what I said

SharkWithALaserBeam

Truly Feared Pyro
i googled a possible fix at first i thought you may have a virus as some virus disable the desktop completely but it may be just typical computer issues (like shells, drivers, rom, registries)from time to time.
1) Reboot and press F8
2) Select "Repair my computer"
3) Select the keyboard layout and lanugage
4) When you reach system recovery tools, select System restore.
5) Select the restore point when it was working fine and restart the computer.

That's it....

If you do not have the system restore points, try startup repair.

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
i googled a possible fix at first i thought you may have a virus as some virus disable the desktop completely but it may be just typical computer issues (like shells, drivers, rom, registries)from time to time.
Windows Recovery tool or whatever its called isn't compatable with my current verson of windows... dafuq

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Then idk what to tell you. You probrably fucked it up somehow.

You can try putting in your windows disk and doing a repair.

If you see a mouse though ctrl alt del should work.

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Then idk what to tell you. You probrably fucked it up somehow.

You can try putting in your windows disk and doing a repair.

If you see a mouse though ctrl alt del should work.
*Sigh* I guess i'm stuck with Ubuntu. It's not a bad os, so thats a plus. Also my computer didn't come with a windows disk.

Wrath

Positively Inhumane Poster
What version of Windows do you have?

Try when powering it up, if you can see the BIOS screen, *Which apparently you can*, smash either the F6 key or F2/F12/whatever your unit's boot menu is assigned to. If you can't see this, it sounds like a driver went bad. Fixing black screens during a start up is a...like a hit or miss, either you fix something then something else breaks, or you simply don't get to it at all and you'll have to either use another OS, like Ubuntu to go into the Windows partition and mess with some files, or use your Installation disc and see if you can get the Repair Option to pop up.

If all else fails, then simply wiping the HDD or the Windows-specific partition is probably the last resort, but you'll lose all your goods unless you use Ubuntu to back em up.

SharkWithALaserBeam

Truly Feared Pyro
If all else fails, then simply wiping the HDD or the Windows-specific partition is probably the last resort, but you'll lose all your goods unless you use Ubuntu to back em up.

im pretty sure formatting your HDD/SSD is not going to help considering the fact that you'll have to reinstall windows (if its a clean install ofc)

*Sigh* I guess i'm stuck with Ubuntu. It's not a bad os, so thats a plus. Also my computer didn't come with a windows disk.

No worries!

I presume your computer were pre-installed with Windows, so a sticker with your personal key should be underneath (or behind if it's a tower).

Download the appropriate ISO from here (they are legal ISO's from Digital River, you will have to register it with your key in the same way as if you had a CD). Then either burn the ISO to a USB (you can use Microsoft own tool for that) or to a CD. Then just plug it in, boot it up and continue from there!

Wrath

Positively Inhumane Poster
im pretty sure formatting your HDD/SSD is not going to help considering the fact that you'll have to reinstall windows (if its a clean install ofc)
It's going to help because I'm recommending a clean Install, which will come with basic, and usually shite, drivers from the installation CD (AKA, which is why I put it as a last resort), which he does not have, but Moose just posted a solution for that.

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
No worries!

I presume your computer were pre-installed with Windows, so a sticker with your personal key should be underneath (or behind if it's a tower).

Download the appropriate ISO from here (they are legal ISO's from Digital River, you will have to register it with your key in the same way as if you had a CD). Then either burn the ISO to a USB (you can use Microsoft own tool for that) or to a CD. Then just plug it in, boot it up and continue from there!
Personal key? sticker? fuckfuckfuckfuck

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
I dunno, it was a present. Im 100% sure it wasnt used tho

If it's a Windows 8 PC then you won't have a product key anywhere on the PC, you have to look for a recovery partition or boot into safe mode.

If it's a Windows 7 PC then what you should do is boot into safe mode and see if you can get to the desktop.