PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I probably wish our Citrix people knew what they were doing enough to know it then. 95% of our problems come from our citrix environments (mostly drive maps failing on our citrix boxes) I'm sure there's some way to auto fix stuff with PS that we do manually now.
Surprised. Drive mapping and redirection are usually just the matter of proper Citrix policy implementation. The biggest problem we had been having is printers. Not a surprise though - enterprise printing optimization and setup have always been the biggest pain in the ass ever since IT came into play...

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Surprised. Drive mapping and redirection are usually just the matter of proper Citrix policy implementation. The biggest problem we had been having is printers. Not a surprise though - enterprise printing optimization and setup have always been the biggest pain in the ass ever since IT came into play...
I get the funniest emails from people when printers fail to connect ("Why is printing to Microsoft XPS?") etcetc. Our problem is that we have a separate team that manages Active Directory and they don't seem to be able to talk to each other well.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I get the funniest emails from people when printers fail to connect ("Why is printing to Microsoft XPS?") etcetc. Our problem is that we have a separate team that manages Active Directory and they don't seem to be able to talk to each other well.
I faced the same issues with XPS crap - I simply prohibited them from mapping. In regards to AD people - I'm lucky enough to have responsive and cooperative domain admins. Being a Citrix admins with no domain admin rights is a nightmare. If, on top of that, there is no proper communication with AD team - you'd better remove Citrix from your infrastructure.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I faced the same issues with XPS crap - I simply prohibited them from mapping. In regards to AD people - I'm lucky enough to have responsive and cooperative domain admins. Being a Citrix admins with no domain admin rights is a nightmare. If, on top of that, there is no proper communication with AD team - you'd better remove Citrix from your infrastructure.
There's "communication", but they're all contract workers and they won't do anything without a ticket. So it becomes encumbered in process and takes forever to do anything. One of my bosses wondered why a web app was better than a .net app running inside Citrix and at least in our case, it's two teams (web team and database team and the web team pretty much has access to the databases if they want to) compared to three. Our monthly production releases involve 6 people sometimes for an install that is MOSTLY automated, but since every team controls a little bit it has to bounce back and forth.