Chiefmiest

Server-Clearing Cynic
So I was wondering why they don't save and was looking for a fix. I've tried the prio program but it didn't work even after the reboot. So I was looking for help and guidance

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
That functionality isn't intended with task manager, that's why they don't save. I imagine it would be reletavly simple to create a batch script that will change a process's priority, there are tons of ways you could run it, either with task scheduler or putting it in the startup folder.

You'd need to be more specific on what programs, how they're launched (on startup or manually), etc.

What's your usage case? I don't really see why this would be necessary generally speaking.

Chiefmiest

Server-Clearing Cynic
That functionality isn't intended with task manager, that's why they don't save. I imagine it would be reletavly simple to create a batch script that will change a process's priority, there are tons of ways you could run it, either with task scheduler or putting it in the startup folder.

You'd need to be more specific on what programs, how they're launched (on startup or manually), etc.

What's your usage case? I don't really see why this would be necessary generally speaking.
For games like tf2, league of legends. When you put the priority higher servers connect faster etc.I launch them on desktop

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
it would be reletavly simple to create a batch script that will change a process's priority

The easiest thing you can do is use the "start" command. So, if you want to start Winamp as high priority, then you could create a batch file with the following line in it.:
"start /high C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Winamp.exe"

options available are:
/low
/belownormal
/normal
/abovenormal
/high
/realtime (don't use!!!)

Chiefmiest

Server-Clearing Cynic
The easiest thing you can do is use the "start" command. So, if you want to start Winamp as high priority, then you could create a batch file with the following line in it.:
"start /high C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Winamp.exe"

options available are:
/low
/belownormal
/normal
/abovenormal
/high
/realtime (don't use!!!)
"start /high C:\League of Legends\League of Legends.exe"
would that work for league of legends
Since it's in my gatway C: location?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
"start /high C:\League of Legends\League of Legends.exe"
would that work for league of legends
Since it's in my gatway C: location?
No it won't...
The problem is if you put it like you specified - you'll get an error about incorrect path C:\League. However, if you put your path in parenthesis (e.g. start /high "C:\League of Legends\League of Legends.exe") to mitigate the issue with incorrect path, you'll face another issue - your batch file will be simply opening new command prompt window with title C:\League of Legends\League of Legends.exe and nothing else would happen.

Example (the result of executing batch file with start /high "C:\Program Files (x86)\Total Commander\Totalcmd.exe" line):

3kYIB.jpg

The reason why is the syntax of "start" command:

START ["title"] [/Dpath] [/I] [/MIN] [/MAX] [/SEPARATE | /SHARED]
[/LOW | /NORMAL | /HIGH | /REALTIME | /ABOVENORMAL | /BELOWNORMAL]
[/WAIT] [/B] [command/program]
[parameters]
"title" Title to display in window title bar
path Starting directory
/B Start application without creating a new window. The application has ^C handling ignored. Unless the application enables ^C processing, ^Break is the only way to interrupt the application
/I The new environment will be the original environment passed to the cmd.exe and not the current environment
/MIN Start window minimized
/MAX Start window maximized
/SEPARATE Start 16-bit Windows program in separate memory space
/SHARED Start 16-bit Windows program in shared memory space
/LOW Start application in the IDLE priority class
/NORMAL Start application in the NORMAL priority class
/HIGH Start application in the HIGH priority class

As you can see whatever you put in parenthesis it takes as a title.... What you can do is create a shortcut for executable and then run this executable with start /high parameter. OR... change the path of executable so it would not contain spaces.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Rationale: I'm a big fan of Powershell. I'd recommend using it to scrip your programs to run with the highest priority.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Rationale: I'm a big fan of Powershell. I'd recommend using it to scrip your programs to run with the highest priority.
Ya, cuz most people can figure out how to allow powershell scripts to execute. :p

I should note that the proper syntax to start league of legends via batch would be,

Code:
start "League of Legends" /high "C:\League of Legends\League of Legends.exe"

Chiefmiest

Server-Clearing Cynic
Ya, cuz most people can figure out how to allow powershell scripts to execute. :p

I should note that the proper syntax to start league of legends via batch would be,

Code:
start "League of Legends" /high "C:\League of Legends\League of Legends.exe"
Says it can't find the file

Chiefmiest

Server-Clearing Cynic
No it won't...
The problem is if you put it like you specified - you'll get an error about incorrect path C:\League. However, if you put your path in parenthesis (e.g. start /high "C:\League of Legends\League of Legends.exe") to mitigate the issue with incorrect path, you'll face another issue - your batch file will be simply opening new command prompt window with title C:\League of Legends\League of Legends.exe and nothing else would happen.

Example (the result of executing batch file with start /high "C:\Program Files (x86)\Total Commander\Totalcmd.exe" line):

3kYIB.jpg

The reason why is the syntax of "start" command:

START ["title"] [/Dpath] [/I] [/MIN] [/MAX] [/SEPARATE | /SHARED]
[/LOW | /NORMAL | /HIGH | /REALTIME | /ABOVENORMAL | /BELOWNORMAL]
[/WAIT] [/B] [command/program]
[parameters]
"title" Title to display in window title bar
path Starting directory
/B Start application without creating a new window. The application has ^C handling ignored. Unless the application enables ^C processing, ^Break is the only way to interrupt the application
/I The new environment will be the original environment passed to the cmd.exe and not the current environment
/MIN Start window minimized
/MAX Start window maximized
/SEPARATE Start 16-bit Windows program in separate memory space
/SHARED Start 16-bit Windows program in shared memory space
/LOW Start application in the IDLE priority class
/NORMAL Start application in the NORMAL priority class
/HIGH Start application in the HIGH priority class

As you can see whatever you put in parenthesis it takes as a title.... What you can do is create a shortcut for executable and then run this executable with start /high parameter. OR... change the path of executable so it would not contain spaces.
Thats kind of confusing.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Because any normal users really need to learn powershell. There's a reason MS developed GUIs for IIS, Exchange, etc. Even our Windows sysadmins rarely use it.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Because any normal users really need to learn powershell. There's a reason MS developed GUIs for IIS, Exchange, etc. Even our Windows sysadmins rarely use it.
I'm learning it right now since knowing PowerShell simplifies Citrix Administration greatly. After all, PS is extremely powerful tool.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm learning it right now since knowing PowerShell simplifies Citrix Administration greatly. After all, PS is extremely powerful tool.
I probably wish our Citrix people knew what they were doing enough to know it then. 95% of our problems come from our citrix environments (mostly drive maps failing on our citrix boxes) I'm sure there's some way to auto fix stuff with PS that we do manually now.