tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
I've heard that Microsoft is jumping to 10 because it make Windows look like it's on the same level as Mac OS X. All I have to say is that my X server is still at a higher level at version 11.

Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
compared to Windows 8, I like the changes to the start screen. when I got Windows 8, I loved it and despised the start menu. Windows 8 if you ask me is a beta of 10.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Microsoft skipped 9 because of Windows 9x back in the 90s. So that sounds logical. Anybody using Windows 10 honestly might be in for a surprise in the sense that it's actually at the very least "comparable" to GNU/Linux. Kinda like IE9 being at the very least "comparable" to both Fx and Chrome. So.. enjoy the GNU/Linux influences when you upgrade to Windows 10, anybody who's going to upgrade a bad OS in general.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
... it's actually at the very least "comparable" to GNU/Linux...

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Microsoft skipped 9 because of Windows 9x back in the 90s. So that sounds logical. Anybody using Windows 10 honestly might be in for a surprise in the sense that it's actually at the very least "comparable" to GNU/Linux. Kinda like IE9 being at the very least "comparable" to both Fx and Chrome. So.. enjoy the GNU/Linux influences when you upgrade to Windows 10, anybody who's going to upgrade a bad OS in general.

c4d.jpg

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
Not in terms of market share, I'm talking about security and reliability.
Not even close.

ext4 > ntfs
Security holes in a linux distro can be patched by the user; either by writing code or building newer release form the upstream source. With Windows, you have to wait for Microsoft to release an update. However, Microsoft may decide not to patch the security hole and then you are out of luck.
Linux distros can be stripped down to barely more than the kernel, init system, and shell. No unneeded software installed on the system which could otherwise be a security concern.
On Linux, all of the system program files could be delete from the filesystem and the system would be fully recoverable with no loss of system settings. There is no way to do this with Windows.

Phill

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
stop thinking windows 10 is bad, you never used one so shhh. maybe its better than windows 7 because ms knows that windows 7 is their best, who knows.

sov

Legendary Skial King
Windows 8 wasn't even bad. It just took some getting used to and they improved on it and fixed it.

Toxik

Contributor
I have a friend who works at a Microsoft store and showed it to me on his Surface, it's neat but not mind-blowing
He did have a 3D modeling tool that was neat, but that was about it

T-Wayne

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
windows xp good windows vista crap windows 7 good windows 8 crap windows 10... good!

I don't agree. I was agreeing with this kind of perspective BEFORE I actually tried out Win 8. Now that I use Win8 I gotta say that it is not as bad as I thought it was. And it sure is far better than Vista was. I agree that it doesn't top Win7, yet it is an acceptable OS with great performance. It is just "different" and I believe that's a reason why people use to dislike it.

Reactions: Blade D_Hero

[THC]Burnzy190 (aka lounge)

I don't agree. I was agreeing with this kind of perspective BEFORE I actually tried out Win 8. Now that I use Win8 I gotta say that it is not as bad as I thought it was. And it sure is far better than Vista was. I agree that it doesn't top Win7, yet it is an acceptable OS with great performance. It is just "different" and I believe that's a reason why people use to dislike it.
well, i use windows 8 myself i got it with pc, didnt mean its really bad, games run well on it, i just quoted a picture that i saw a while ago :D i will wait for some reviews on the new windows if people say its good i might get it, i agree 8 is a bit diffrent because its designed for tablets and phones aswell.

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
I'm going to upgrade my Windows 7 install to Windows 10 preview. I'm doing a full image backup of my SSD as I type this. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Phill

I'm going to upgrade my Windows 7 install to Windows 10 preview. I'm doing a full image backup of my SSD as I type this. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Fantastic, maybe do a benchmark as well? Also, DirectX 12 will be on windows 10, and not on 7 (maybe not on 8 either), which means gamers (and 3D artists) would probably consider upgrading.