Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Wait. So this means windows 9 is windows 10? Or what? And is it true that windows 8 users get windows 9 for free?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Wait. So this means windows 9 is windows 10? Or what? And is it true that windows 8 users get windows 9 for free?
There will be no Windows 9 and I don't think Windows 8 users will get 10 for free. Words "Microsoft" and "free" are incompatible by default.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
There will be no Windows 9 and I don't think Windows 8 users will get 10 for free. Words "Microsoft" and "free" are incompatible by default.
That seems kinda weird to jump from 8 to 10. Or am I missing something? I cant read the article right now but it seems weird.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
That seems kinda weird to jump from 8 to 10. Or am I missing something? I cant read the article right now but it seems weird.
No matter how hard I try I can't see the reason behind MS versioning with this particular OS. Looks like they've taken the same approach as Citrix with naming its products - just random and often.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
No matter how hard I try I can't see the reason behind MS versioning with this particular OS. Looks like they've taken the same approach as Citrix with naming its products - just random and often.
Thinking is not always microsofts strong spot. *Cough* Minecraft and spending so much money on something they won't make a bunch of money on. *Cough*

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Thinking is not always microsofts strong spot. *Cough* Minecraft and spending so much money on something they won't make a bunch of money on. *Cough*
Microsoft explains it as "It’s simply Windows 10, marking a jump from the mixed reception of Windows 8."

Makes sense /sarcasm/

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Nah.. Techpreview looks nice. I'd assume this OS will be much more successful than 8.
I guess it all depends what you use it for. Windows XP (from what Iv heard and seen) is still used alot because it has a good filing system on it. I prefer my windows 7, but thats just me.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I guess it all depends what you use it for. Windows XP (from what Iv heard and seen) is still used alot
Not good - too many unpatched security holes.
I prefer my windows 7, but thats just me.

"When you put all that together, the end result looks a lot like Windows 7. That's intentional. Microsoft's Joe Belfiore pointed to the millions of customers still using Windows 7, and said the company wants to make their transition to Windows 10 much more comfortable than the unfamiliar leap to Windows 8 two years ago. "We want all these Windows 7 users to have the sentiment that yesterday they were driving a first-generation Prius, and now with Windows 10 it's like a Tesla.""

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Not good - too many unpatched security holes.

"When you put all that together, the end result looks a lot like Windows 7. That's intentional. Microsoft's Joe Belfiore pointed to the millions of customers still using Windows 7, and said the company wants to make their transition to Windows 10 much more comfortable than the unfamiliar leap to Windows 8 two years ago. "We want all these Windows 7 users to have the sentiment that yesterday they were driving a first-generation Prius, and now with Windows 10 it's like a Tesla.""
Really? That's not good because iv seen alot of places still using it.

But it seems microsofts taking a slight step back because they kinda jumped a gun I guess with windows 8 and people could not adapt. But I guess if they take it slower they might do it right.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Really? That's not good because iv seen alot of places still using it.

Enterprises still running on Windows XP wil not pass the audit this year since this OS is no longer compliant with many standards (like HIPAA and so on).

But it seems microsofts taking a slight step back because they kinda jumped a gun I guess with windows 8 and people could not adapt. But I guess if they take it slower they might do it right.

They had to apply some kind of a shock therapy to make people get used to the fact they will have to upgrade to a newer OS, so Win8 took a role of a scapegoat (whipping-boy, if you will) so next version will be met with less criticism.

Ceubie

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
ugh cant i just stick with windows 7 forever

i hate this "modernising" shit with their pseudo phone crap.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
ugh cant i just stick with windows 7 forever

i hate this "modernising" shit with their pseudo phone crap.

It's not even a familiar interface. Ubuntu's Unity implements a hybrid desktop perfectly. Microsoft literally pulled a 180 on Modern and they just put it on their start menu.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I have been hearing that the string "Win 9" is hard-coded to refer to Windows 95/98. So that can't call it that in the code, so they just skipped to 10.

Oxsii

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I think microsoft should not launch windows 10, they should make win 8.1 better without bugs :)

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'm holding out for windows infinity.

N7j5nS2.png