jwso

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I don't even know what this thing of mine is called, but you can connect up to 4 people for a LAN game and shit. It's a Zyxel, and it's shit. I've been fighting with opening ports and such for years now, and I can't take it anymore. Time to get a new router.
What's a good brand? I'm gonna go on a trip next week and I'll grab one on the way.

edit: I have one of those WLAN things as well, I plug it to the LAN one seperately.

Acid[NubCake]

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Cisco, TP-Link, Linksys... dosent matter whitch one you buy, they are good and im working whit those brands ^^

[Interrogator]

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Cisco or Netgear routers are usually good and usually the more expensive ones have better software/Ability to better control what it does

Acid[NubCake]

Cisco or Netgear routers are usually good and usually the more expensive ones have better software/Ability to better control what it does
yea but you get more guarantee on them and they are reliable :D (i guess you didnt checked out Mikrotik-s yet)

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
They are all made in China.

I used a D-Link for like 6 years on 3 different PCs and never had a problem... people kept telling me D-Link was crap for some reason.

I say this because it was the cheapest one when I bought it. The one I got after that was a Linksys and it seemed to fuck up my wifi on a regular.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
When people say Cisco, I assume they mean what used to be the Linksys brand. They're terrible routers. Cisco recently sold it to Belkin (meaning Cisco is no longer in the consumer market). If you want to buy a commercial grade Cisco router they're great, but unless you have a degree you probably won't be able to configure it and you probably don't have a 4U rack mount in your house.

For consumer grade, I have always recommended Buffalo routers. They come pre-installed with DD-WRT and not some crap firmware that a lot of hardware manufacturers include. You might save $15-$20 buying a D-Link or Netgear, but IMO it's worth the extra cost for non-crap firmware that's actually updated more often than never and a better processor that doesn't choke on WPA2 with TKIP and AES.

Acid[NubCake]

d-link is mostly consumer grade hardware. has a nice userfriendly interface, but its access points are sh**ty, thats why ppl are saying that dlink is crap. routerwise i had one it died after 2 months. and im suggesting Cisco, TP-Link, Linksys cause i trust them, and they die only if something goes really bad.

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
My family uses Netgear, it's pretty reliable, but we do need to unplug it from time to time. It handles,
Iphone
Xbox 360
Galaxy note II
My computer
It can even handle my Wii U, even thought it's down stairs.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
So basically the theme of the thread is any name brand router is good...

(big suprise)

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So basically the theme of the thread is any name brand router is good...

(big suprise)
From my experience working with enterprise routers, consumer-grade routers are actually all terrible to an extent. They work and are (relatively) cheap and they're easy to replace if they break so no one cares. I never even bother with the Wireless testing since your environment plays such a big role the router usually isn't at fault for WiFi issues. That's why I look at the firmware and it's why I said Buffalo. The other routers can have DD-WRT or Tomato on them, but most people aren't going to want to flash their firmware. They take it out of the box and plug it in.

Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
d-link is mostly consumer grade hardware. has a nice userfriendly interface, but its access points are sh**ty, thats why ppl are saying that dlink is crap. routerwise i had one it died after 2 months. and im suggesting Cisco, TP-Link, Linksys cause i trust them, and they die only if something goes really bad.

Linksys used to be great, when Cisco bought them they went in the toilet. I've heard great things about TP-Link but have never personally used one.

D-Link on the consumer level is absolute shit. I was surprised to find that their business class stuff is great and extremely reliable. I recommend their access points to my clientele all the time, never had any complaints and everyone is always surprised at how much stronger their signal is.