mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Originally, VSH's ranking system used to follow a basic Elo rating system before it was changed into what we have today, a damage ranking system. However, the damage ranking system has created several problems that Elo did not have.

1) Damage ranking is not counted properly.
Crit/minicrit damage, such as headshots and demos with shields, and support damage, such as Medic getting 50% damage and 100% damage credit on uber for their pocket, all do not count toward the point system.

2) Damage ranking does not account for support mechanics and entire classes.
Saving teammates with airblast, KB, etc., playing Engineer, Medic, and so on do not get any credit at all toward rank. Even the best of the best players simply don't get proper credit for helping their team if they aren't doing loads of damage.

3) Damage ranking de-emphasizes winning and teamwork and favors sheer damage and playtime.
Most importantly, rank as it stands ONLY rewards doing damage. This will get counted even if you lose against Hale. This, along with the previous point of not rewarding support, and damage being accumulative and not averaging, means high rank simply goes to whoever can do the most damage and play the game the most overall, instead of ranking players based on overall contributions to winning or losing the game.

Please revert rank system back to Elo.

This change would be healthier for our community in the long term; an ELO system would shift the mindset of players who care about rank toward supporting their team, working with them, and playing accordingly to try to win, instead of simply focusing on DPS and playtime.

This change is recommended to take effect starting Season 8 to not disrupt the current ranking season.

Last edited:

Max1996

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
While I've never had any experience with the ELO system (that I can recall), the differences between current and ELO do make the latter seem more appealing. +1.

Zeke Aileron

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Bumping this.

Also as a added bit of information for ELO, Damage is still included into the factor, so classes like Trolldier, Sticky Demo, Minigun critted/mini heavies that do damage are still contributing towards the ELO ranking of said team, so not much is going to change from the current ranking to ELO ranking, just slightly influxed stats towards damage/support mixed in.

Bottiger

Administrator
Bumping this.

Also as a added bit of information for ELO, Damage is still included into the factor, so classes like Trolldier, Sticky Demo, Minigun critted/mini heavies that do damage are still contributing towards the ELO ranking of said team, so not much is going to change from the current ranking to ELO ranking, just slightly influxed stats towards damage/support mixed in.

There was never an ELO system for vsh, it was just based off the number of wins, so I am not sure where you are getting this number from.

We switched to damage because people (that shortly left for panda after we switched to vsh2) whined about not getting rank even when their team sucked.

But I will switch it back to wins.

Last edited:

Italian Doctor

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
i don't see what was wrong with the old system, and why mid-season change?
edit: this might mean people are less inclined to do as much damage as possible ad instead all go friendly

Last edited:

mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
There was never an ELO system for vsh, it was just based off the number of wins, so I am not sure where you are getting this number from.

We switched to damage because people (that shortly left for panda after we switched to vsh2) whined about not getting rank even when their team sucked.

But I will switch it back to wins.

That’s my fault for misremembering, but I would still back a proper W/L ELO.

Bottiger

Administrator
i don't see what was wrong with the old system, and why mid-season change?

Because farming damage is less meaningful than wins for all the reasons already mentioned in this thread.

Rankings are calculated based on stats from the beginning of the season, there is no reset.