mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Originally, VSH's ranking system used to follow a basic Elo rating system before it was changed into what we have today, a damage ranking system. However, the damage ranking system has created several problems that Elo did not have.

1) Damage ranking is not counted properly.
Crit/minicrit damage, such as headshots and demos with shields, and support damage, such as Medic getting 50% damage and 100% damage credit on uber for their pocket, all do not count toward the point system.

2) Damage ranking does not account for support mechanics and entire classes.
Saving teammates with airblast, KB, etc., playing Engineer, Medic, and so on do not get any credit at all toward rank. Even the best of the best players simply don't get proper credit for helping their team if they aren't doing loads of damage.

3) Damage ranking de-emphasizes winning and teamwork and favors sheer damage and playtime.
Most importantly, rank as it stands ONLY rewards doing damage. This will get counted even if you lose against Hale. This, along with the previous point of not rewarding support, and damage being accumulative and not averaging, means high rank simply goes to whoever can do the most damage and play the game the most overall, instead of ranking players based on overall contributions to winning or losing the game.

Please revert rank system back to Elo.

This change would be healthier for our community in the long term; an ELO system would shift the mindset of players who care about rank toward supporting their team, working with them, and playing accordingly to try to win, instead of simply focusing on DPS and playtime.

This change is recommended to take effect starting Season 8 to not disrupt the current ranking season.

Last edited:

thehowl5657

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
As a medic main, I feel like I'm simply punished for choosing to play medic or other support classes at times. I love the playstyle of medic, but it also hurts to be keeping my team alive while not even receiving any credit for it. Its already hard enough fighting your team for damage, and when your entire class is focused around not doing damage, you tend to not get any benefits for it. The current ranking system absolutely forces a meta, and changing how rank is earned can definitely do a good job in trying to change it.
+1

MrLupin

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
+1
I 100% agree with implementing the old ELO back. The damage rank system was good but its now considered flawed for these reasons:
  1. It can be used easily to climb ranks if one is good at a high damaging class, giving those who help the team with little damages a huge disadvantage.
  2. While the damage rank system does help make player more active, it led to more toxicity and way less teamwork as evidenced by more Trolldiers, Demos, Spys etc. being played rather than those spots being used for support like Engineers or Medics.
  3. Finally like what Mub said, this current ranking system doesn't count support mechanics solely on help like airblasting, healing, or supplying others with things like a Dispenser for metal or Heavy's secondary for health packs like his sandviches.
By reverting back into a ELO system, not only can it encourage teamwork more often but also make the ranking system more fun as in climbing up the ranks without the need to think for DPS and playtime. Instead, they can climb the ranks via helping out their teammates, which build a good sense of teamwork if the old ELO system is implemented back and make people less stressed overall.

Arusu1

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
+1

As a Medic main, whenever I check and see if my rank went up or not, the rank points are usually low for me, even if I get like 3k damage or if I heal a lot of my teammates.

Zeke Aileron

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
I fully support this ELO Ranking system, Support Classes like Medic, Holiday Punch Heavy, Mad Milk Scout, Engineer Dispenser, and Jarate Sniper need to be credited for helping the team with their support mechanic instead of being ridiculed because they don't do damage to the Hale.

Having good supports can win alot of rounds, but players only care for themselves and not the team that's helping them to do that damage.

+1 from me.

herp 105.4

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
FF2 Balancer
You have no idea.

on a scale of 1 which is not caring at all to 10 which is making a baby just to wiggle the mouse so you dont get kicked for afk, how hard do you guys care about ranked?

mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
on a scale of 1 which is not caring at all to 10 which is making a baby just to wiggle the mouse so you dont get kicked for afk, how hard do you guys care about ranked?
For some members of the community, 11