mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Just realized we still have the version of this map that lets you stand/climb up the skybox. Another thread recommended updating to the winter version, but if not, we should at least remove this map.

mub

Contributor
The map vsh_hakurei_shrine_v3_fix3 has noticeably lower fps than the original version vsh_hakurei_shrine_v3 and this is especially significant with high player counts. At least two other players on the server have noticed the decrease in performance. The map is basically unplayable on my PC which is NOT a potato, yet it was fine-ish before the fix.
I noticed a difference when playing on the server normally but I couldn't be sure it wasn't just my imagination so I ran an fps benchmark. Here are the results: from an average of 204 fps with the original version to 181 fps with the fix3 version, making it an 11% decrease / 23 fps decrease, with only a single player as spectator.
Here is the benchmark along with instructions to run it if you wanna test it yourself:
i [dot] ibb [dot] co/YfTqW4F/hakurei-shrine-fps-benchmark.png (scrambled the url cuz the bot thinks I'm spamming links)
The difference is even more noticeable and becomes very significant with higher player counts, in other words basically all the time when it's actually being run on the server.
In the meantime I think that a simple revert to the old version would be a good decision, given that having at least 3 players unable to play on it normally is a worse state of affairs than just being able to stand on an invisible spot in the sky.

CC @Stack Man to see if he can figure out what made the map run worse; might just be an easy func_detail fix.

Stack Man

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
@mub Barely even any brushes to func_detail in the first place.

In any regards, opening the file gives the error "8 invalid solids" saving and reloading deletes all the entities :v

This is a problem that happened before when I first started editing the map, so I'll try to get to the bottom of it. It may be the cause of the frame drop.

Probin

Mildly Menacing Medic
@Jermaphobe are you okay jannie, jannie are you okay ? It would be very wholesome 100 of you to explain what's dumb about my post, I'm just aching to fix the mistake that you have noticed, as it would surely enlighten other posters and lurkers. Please help me help you.

mub

Contributor
@mub Barely even any brushes to func_detail in the first place.

In any regards, opening the file gives the error "8 invalid solids" saving and reloading deletes all the entities :v

This is a problem that happened before when I first started editing the map, so I'll try to get to the bottom of it. It may be the cause of the frame drop.

Knowing Shrine, I'd be willing to bet it's either the particle effects or the logic running the bat, both of which could be done away with.

Maybe some hint brushes might help with all the trees, although Shrine is a very open map, unfortunately, and likely wouldn't get much mileage out of those.