mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Just realized we still have the version of this map that lets you stand/climb up the skybox. Another thread recommended updating to the winter version, but if not, we should at least remove this map.

Polaris

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Just realized we still have the version of this map that lets you stand/climb up the skybox. Another thread recommended updating to the winter version, but if not, we should at least remove this map.
+1

Bottiger

Administrator
https://gamebanana.com/maps/171256

Aha. pig and I figured out some of the major lag related issues of the map and successfully fixed them.

Looks like I'll be running this on my server in the end c:

Right now I'm using server-side extensions to correct the map however.

--------

Bug: The soundscapes are reaching MAX_CHANNELs. This is why the map breaks various client side sounds such as hitsounds, reloading, health pack sfx, fall dmg sfx.

Pansmith

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
Master Mapper
In that case, tag it as "declined" or "need help" then.

It's good to show feedback.
Same goes for the other map threads as well.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
@Bottiger

https://www.mediafire.com/file/nr4nd04hudc5n0h/vsh_hakurei_shrine_v3_skial_fix.zip/file

I've made a version with exploit fixes as well as several other optimizations and smoothed out geometry (no more bumpy stairs!)

I'll also take this chance to recommend updating vsh_degroot_keep_2020 to version 6. Server just updated to version 5 and missed the new release by only a few hours!

https://gamebanana.com/maps/209613
What settings did you use to compile the map? Lighting is noticeably darker compared to the original, causing dark sparks on a few spots that I initially thought were leaks due to how dark it was.

Speaking of leaks, are you using a direct decompile? Would you mind sending me a compile log?

Stack Man

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
What settings did you use to compile the map? Lighting is noticeably darker compared to the original, causing dark sparks on a few spots that I initially thought were leaks due to how dark it was.

Speaking of leaks, are you using a direct decompile? Would you mind sending me a compile log?

Looking at it again, I can see what you mean. notably, the exterior of the buildings.

Originally, I compiled with full HDR, but the trees ended up unnaturally dark. In the interest of time (this map has ludicrously long compile times) I decided a default compile would have to do.

I'll try to mess around with lighting settings to get it bright again. Push come to shove, I'll just add some exterior lighting.

However, now that I think about it, the dark buildings may have to do with the lightmap settings which I drastically decreased in an effort to save compile time. I'll revert them and see what happens.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
Looking at it again, I can see what you mean. notably, the exterior of the buildings.

Originally, I compiled with full HDR, but the trees ended up unnaturally dark. In the interest of time (this map has ludicrously long compile times) I decided a default compile would have to do.

I'll try to mess around with lighting settings to get it bright again. Push come to shove, I'll just add some exterior lighting.

However, now that I think about it, the dark buildings may have to do with the lightmap settings which I drastically decreased in an effort to save compile time. I'll revert them and see what happens.
Copy and modify the full hdr final compile, remove the -both command to disable compiling in LDR & HDR and compile the map using that setting, map will compile in LDR with benefits of full and final compile. Will take longer

Probin

Mildly Menacing Medic
The map vsh_hakurei_shrine_v3_fix3 has noticeably lower fps than the original version vsh_hakurei_shrine_v3 and this is especially significant with high player counts. At least two other players on the server have noticed the decrease in performance. The map is basically unplayable on my PC which is NOT a potato, yet it was fine-ish before the fix.
I noticed a difference when playing on the server normally but I couldn't be sure it wasn't just my imagination so I ran an fps benchmark. Here are the results: from an average of 204 fps with the original version to 181 fps with the fix3 version, making it an 11% decrease / 23 fps decrease, with only a single player as spectator.
Here is the benchmark along with instructions to run it if you wanna test it yourself:
i [dot] ibb [dot] co/YfTqW4F/hakurei-shrine-fps-benchmark.png (scrambled the url cuz the bot thinks I'm spamming links)
The difference is even more noticeable and becomes very significant with higher player counts, in other words basically all the time when it's actually being run on the server.
In the meantime I think that a simple revert to the old version would be a good decision, given that having at least 3 players unable to play on it normally is a worse state of affairs than just being able to stand on an invisible spot in the sky.