Stack Man

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
Pyro is, unarguably, the worst damage dealer in VSH.

His airblast is also incredibly unspectacular. There are other options to deny hale that are safer, more effective, don't give a ton of rage, and often have damage to boot.

I won't suggest buffs to airblast. It could become quite annoying. Rather, I'd prefer if his damage potential was on par with the rest of the classes.

Phlogistinator: Full overheal on mmmph use

It's very risky to be so close to the hale with no airblast. Full overheal would offer phlog pyros a larger window to escape when the hale targets them.

Dragon's Fury: Full crit when mini-crit

Again, risky to be close and with a twice as slow airblast, but the damage doesn't match. It takes a notable amount of effort to consistently hit bonus damage since both the center of the fireball must hit and, as fast as it may be, it's still a projectile.

Full crits all the time is too much, though I'm not certain mini-crits is worth the effort either.

Possibly, it could Full crit whenever it minicrits like the direct hit, meaning you must taunt periodically to take advantage of the damage.

DF deserves this kind of damage due to the notable amount of risk involved and the skill needed to hit shots.

The Gas Passer: More damage/Faster recharge/outline

Sacrifice your mobility for 175 damage every 60 seconds. Optionally, risk your life to charge it more quickly.

Any flaregun can do far more damage in the time it takes to charge while not sacrificing mobility. It may not be very difficult to use, but its current state is pathetic.

Some combination of higher damage and a faster recharge would make this weapon worthwhile. Additionally, it could outline the boss like the sniper rifle, giving it a bit of utility as well.

Thermal Thruster: Faster recharge

The opposite of the gas passer, sacrifice all your damage for better mobility. The mobility is fine, but it's too slow to recharge. The Mega Det offers more than enough mobility at a faster rate while not sacrificing damage.

mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
The Gas Passer and Phlogistinator might've been nerfed slightly too hard, maybe dialing back their damage nerfs from -33% to -20% could be a good start.

MMMPH already lets Pyro tank two extra hits during its duration, I don't see any point in giving him overheal for it; If a Medic sticks nearby he's essentially already got a pseudouber.

Dragon's Fury is in a good spot, I've seen some of our better regulars easily get 9k+ with this weapon. Giving it full crits for minicrits would probably put it on-par with old Phlog DPS-wise, which would be too much.

+1 to increase the recharge for the Thermal Thruster to, say, 7 seconds instead of 15. There's literally no good reason to use it as it is now.

Last edited:

Stack Man

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
The Gas Passer and Phlogistinator might've been nerfed slightly too hard, maybe dialing back their damage nerfs from -33% to -20% could be a good start.

MMMPH already lets Pyro tank two extra hits during its duration, I don't see any point in giving him overheal for it; If a Medic sticks nearby he's essentially already got a pseudouber.

Dragon's Fury is in a good spot, I've seen some of our better regulars easily get 9k+ with this weapon. Giving it full crits for minicrits would probably put it on-par with old Phlog DPS-wise, which would be too much.

+1 to increase the recharge for the Thermal Thruster to, say, 7 seconds instead of 15. There's literally no good reason to use it as it is now.

Yeah, didn't realize phlog has resistance on mmmph :v

But I don't ever see players getting that much damage with the DF. Usually, around 2k is a the max.

Are these players using taunt crits? I think permanent mini crits might be fine then. It's hard to utilize taunt crits when you have to catch up to the hale constantly.

mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
After taking the time to play a lot more Pyro specifically, and then comparing to classes like Engineer, Heavy, etc., I'd like to shift my stance a little and provide a new suggestion.

I think all flamethrowers should have perma-minicrits like how all of Spy's revolvers do. Their damage would be in a good spot but then it wouldn't get stronger from taunting.

This would also in turn be a small buff to the Passer and the Phlog, but maybe the Passer could see a tiny buff.

Still +1 to increase the recharge for the Thermal Thruster to, say, 7 seconds instead of 15. There's literally no good reason to use it as it is now.

Glazzy

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
+1 on dragon's fury and gas passer... gas passer doesn't seem to be exploding anymore and I'd even give pyro +55 health with it equipped since you lose a lot of mobility. The dragon's fury is way too risky especially in 1v1 scenarios and its range feels a bit shorter than I'd like but that's not a problem if it can deal good damage.

Glazzy

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
After taking the time to play a lot more Pyro specifically, and then comparing to classes like Engineer, Heavy, etc., I'd like to shift my stance a little and provide a new suggestion.

I think all flamethrowers should have perma-minicrits like how all of Spy's revolvers do. Their damage would be in a good spot but then it wouldn't get stronger from taunting.

This would also in turn be a small buff to the Passer and the Phlog, but maybe the Passer could see a tiny buff.

Still +1 to increase the recharge for the Thermal Thruster to, say, 7 seconds instead of 15. There's literally no good reason to use it as it is now.

I'm all for every flamethrower getting minicrits. I try my best do deal good damage with phlog pyro but he relies too heavily on pocket medics and goombas. Not only this... but the phlog's damage resistance isn't enough to fully utilize it in a 1v1 scenario. I'd increase the damage resistance so pyro can take 1 extra hit so he can get away. The powerjack reduces the damage resistance by 20% making him too vulnerable to gain health back. Pyro also takes a lot of fall damage so I wish something could reduce that so I wont have to jump from health pack to health pack like a mantreads soldier with a direct hit.

RodGzM

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Big necro, im pretty sure some of this weapons have even been buffed by now

Glazzy

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Big necro, im pretty sure some of this weapons have even been buffed by now

It is a necro... but the suggestions still apply to today. Pyro is still as weak as he was then and these changes would definitely improve him.