• If you are not the person that was banned/muted, you are only allowed to post evidence. Trash talk is unnecessary.

dgoodman

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
This was a weird one. @_@
This fellow was obviously cheating with a speedhack, maybe crits and godmode. Anyways, somehow he was able to be immune to all of my admin commands (ban, kick, slay, rename). Every time I tried it would say no matching client found. (Couldn't ban by name because he was reusing people's names, accidently banned tru dat due to it.) Eventually even the status command stopped working. Finally I went to the source bans site and banned by steam id from there. This also had no effect. Eventually someone manage to call a vote but he must have left before it finished. From the sourcebans page looks like he tried to relogin with the name of someone else in the server but was blocked so I guess he is gone for good.

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah, I had a run in with this before. What Bot recommended me to do was - when they're using a status block hack - ban the person he's impersonating and then ban that name. Do an unban of the actual guy. Sounds unorthodox, yeah, but it axes them. He told me this around August, though, so I'm not sure if we're still doing that.

Also, because we added plugins to kick if they change their name too frequently (last I checked, I think it's still around) they'll be auto-kicked. That combined with the aimbot detection, and he should be handled by the console. These guys are few and far between with my ban experiences (only seen one, this is the third one I heard about), so don't lose sleep over it.

Also, yeah, doing a ban from the site by Steam ID etc DOES work, but I believe it takes effect once they leave.

Good hunting.

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Also, my personal method for name hackers (when status is working) is to check the # of the people with the same name. One is the hacker, one is the actual. Once he changes, see which one of those numbers didn't change, and ban the other one.

dgoodman

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
Yeah, I had a run in with this before. What Bot recommended me to do was - when they're using a status block hack - ban the person he's impersonating and then ban that name. Do an unban of the actual guy. Sounds unorthodox, yeah, but it axes them. He told me this around August, though, so I'm not sure if we're still doing that.
I asked one person to leave when the guy started using his name so that there would only be one of him but when I tried by name or steam id, it still said no matching client found. It was like this person didn't exist. :p

Also, my personal method for name hackers (when status is working) is to check the # of the people with the same name. One is the hacker, one is the actual. Once he changes, see which one of those numbers didn't change, and ban the other one.

Yup that's exactly what I ended up doing haha. Thanks for the advice tho.

i like this goodman guy. Knows how to ban and does his research.

Thanks. :D

Bottiger

Administrator
You need to ban by userid. They can stick invisible characters in their name so you can't just type it out.

I think you may also need a # sign when you use sm_ban and a STEAMID.