(cYs) Del Piero

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
I think the trade rank system should be improved. After a some trades one is already at "Trusted Trader" and nothing changes after.
Maybe we should give "Trusted Trader" a bit later or creating more ranks could help here.
Any thoughts?

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Why? Do we need SUPER trusted traders? People can see the amount of trades and how many positive/neutral/negative trades you have. How would adding new ranks help anything? If you want a status symbol call it that.

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
Why? Do we need SUPER trusted traders? People can see the amount of trades and how many positive/neutral/negative trades you have. How would adding new ranks help anything? If you want a status symbol call it that.

Well it differs if you have 20 rep or 40 rep. Or if someone has 40 or 100 rep (nobody has that yet but sooner or later people will get there) The more rep the more one is considered trusted. That should be reflected in the trade ranks.

Bottiger

Administrator
I actually don't think we should have trading ranks. It is hard to tell how trustworthy someone is just by the number of their trades.

When I originally setup this system I had only intended it for cash or non-Steam trades where the traders are taking a risk. There's almost no chance of getting scammed when you do a Steam trade.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Well it differs if you have 20 rep or 40 rep. Or if someone has 40 or 100 rep (nobody has that yet but sooner or later people will get there) The more rep the more one is considered trusted. That should be reflected in the trade ranks.
Does that not show right next to your name? For example: "(cYs) Del Piero (59)" then you click on it and it shows feedback

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
sounds redundant to have anything further than trusted
That's why I also proposed to push trusted further back where one needs more reps.

I actually don't think we should have trading ranks. It is hard to tell how trustworthy someone is just by the number of their trades.

When I originally setup this system I had only intended it for cash or non-Steam trades where the traders are taking a risk.
Then maybe set up a trade system for only Cash trades? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Bottiger

Administrator
That's why I also proposed to push trusted further back where one needs more reps.

Then maybe set up a trade system for only Cash trades? Sounds like a good idea to me.

We can't setup a separate system. If we wanted to do this we would delete Steam trade reputation from our current system. When I enforced this before, there were hardly any cash traders around.

It is also difficult to enforce if people really wanted to lie about making cash / non-steam transactions.

I think a good compromise would be to get everyone to describe their feedback more clearly.

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
We can't setup a separate system. If we wanted to do this we would delete Steam trade reputation from our current system. When I enforced this before, there were hardly any cash traders around.

It is also difficult to enforce if people really wanted to lie about making cash / non-steam transactions.

I think a good compromise would be to get everyone to describe their feedback more clearly.
Why is it not possible to have 2 separate systems? One for cash trades one for normal steam trades.

Yea sounds like a good idea describing the feedback more clearly. I for example mention always in the feedback description that it was a PayPal trade (if it was one). So that sounds like a good idea but people how do you want to enforce a better description? The system can't check if you actually traded for these items or can it?

Bottiger

Administrator
We can't have a separate system because the plugin wasn't designed that way and I do not know how to duplicate it.

The system can't check if you actually traded for the items. If it could, there would be no need for Skial middleman.

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
*facepalm* he just explained why
But right now there are many cash traders. Many people sell refs, keys, hats and unusuals for cash. Just look at the High-End / cash section
In the past there might have not been that many cash traders but right now there are some and moreover there are people who buy for cash

Edit: Didn't see your response Bottiger.

Bottiger

Administrator
Well then we should have a vote to do one of these.
  1. Tell people to say whether it was a "safe" trade enforced by Steam from now on.
  2. Go through all 1100 feedbacks and delete all the feedback where it isn't clear whether the trade was "safe".
  3. Delete all the feedback and start over fresh, deleting any feedback that isn't "safe".

Reactions: (cYs) Del Piero

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
Well then we should have a vote to do one of these.
  1. Tell people to say whether it was a "safe" trade enforced by Steam from now on.
  2. Go through all 600 feedbacks and delete all the feedback where it isn't clear whether the trade was "safe".
  3. Delete all the feedback and start over fresh, deleting any feedback that isn't "safe".

Well I think the 2nd option isn't the best. Lot of work and most people didn't know they had leave a description (I often just left "Thanks for trading when not doing PayPal")
But a vote sounds fair enough.

Bottiger

Administrator
I would like to tackle this problem sometime, but I think if we get people to use Skial Middleman, it will make reputation less of a problem.

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
I would like to tackle this problem sometime, but I think if we get people to use Skial Middleman, it will make reputation less of a problem.
I did 2 cash trades today and 1 yesterday and offered each buyer to use Skial Middleman but all preferred PayPal. I don't know how to convince people to use it. Seems to be challenging.

Bottiger

Administrator
I don't know either. The best thing I can think of is to put some of my own items for below market price.

TF2 Warehouse didn't seem to have any shortage of people gambling their unusuals even though they lost all their items 3 times due to bugs giving people infinite credits...

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Gimme more specific details on what we're deleting and access to feedback moderation, and I'll help do a big chunk of 'em. (Edit: For option 2)

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
Gimme more specific details on what we're deleting and access to feedback moderation, and I'll help do a big chunk of 'em. (Edit: For option 2)
A lot of people have done actual trades but were not aware of the fact that one has to leave detailed feedback. Not sure if it the best approach to therefore delete all feedback which has no details.