Reporter

Administrator
The loss of community-centric gameplay.
Hello /r/TF2.

I just want to get this out of the way before I get to my main point; I love TF2, I still love TF2, and I've loved TF2 ever since I've started playing in April of 2011. Jungle Inferno, in my opinion, has been the greatest update since the Pyromania update, and it makes me existed to see where the TF team will take us next.

It is because of my love for this game that I feel the need to criticise the short-sighted approach to implementing competitive.

Casual Mode and Competitive Mode are important steps towards capitalising on the potential of TF2 as a competitive game, but in doing so we lost an important part of TF2's core casual design. Community.

Back in "the good ol' days" finding a game meant opening up the server browser and picking whatever caught your interest. If you didn't like what you got, it was as simple as just picking another server. Eventually you would find the perfect server for you: with the people you like to be around, with the right atmosphere and the maps you like.

Another important part of the community aspect of TF2 where the people you would meet. Practically everything in TF2 is designed to help you learn and recognize important players in the server. Kill cams, dominations, taunts, hats, unusuals, stranges, weapon unlocks and skins are all designed with this purpose of recognition and denotation. The more you played, the more you learn about the server you're on and the people who played on it. Who are the newcomers? Who are the regulars? Who are the big threats? Who can you depend on?

This is simply an experience you can't get from Causal mode. You barely get to know anyone because half of the server quits after the first round, and the people who stay are all grouped up and talking privately in discord and you might as well not even be there. Where as playing on a pub or community server regularity was a social experience, playing Casual mode is more of a anti-social experience.

And good luck trying to start up your own community server because, unless your a Skial or a cult of personality youtuber, no one will come to your server because it's burred in an antiquated browser menu within a menu below like three more modern and convenient options that won't scare new players.

I know is not as simple as the TF team demand Valve to give them enough resources to accommodate every single community desire, but I don't understand why It *has* to be an ultimatum between Casual and Pubs.

Author: simboyc100

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/7c37z3/the_loss_of_communitycentric_gameplay/
http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/7c37z3/the_loss_of_communitycentric_gameplay/