Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
Music is allowed in servers other than trade and the rules don't explicitly say ear rape is reportable. Only 1 person is asking you to turn it down so the server has not voted, on top of that you did turn it down so any argument for spam is out the window and you receive no punishment. Lastly, the person who reported you broke the rules by reporting someone who wasn't breaking the rules. Assuming with the example they are also at 0 offenses then the reporter should get a 1 day gag. sm_gag "[U:1:116254940]" 1440 "false report"
Mostly correct, ear rape and soundboards are considered spam

Xantam

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
Based off the rule, "Reporting people that aren't breaking the rules." I was under the impression that submitting false reports was punishable. Would you mind a bit more feedback to why they are marked invalid?
My point is, that rule specifically states reporting people that aren't breaking the rules is punishable in itself, right? So each of those invalid reports, in theory, the author needs punishing.
It is nigh on impossible to determine if the reporter knew for certain, or just believed, the issue was against the rules, or if they are doing it out of spite. Therefore it's impossible in my opinion to issue a punishment for a false report.

I have only dealt with one report my self where it was a clear case of "he reported me so I am reporting him", but in BOTH of them cases, despite it being malicious on both sides, they both did break the rules. So I punished them for breaking the rules, not for malicious reporting. I have yet to experience an actual false report. The majority of reports are people reporting what they genuinely believed to be issues or rule breaks. And I will refuse to get into the habit of discouraging users from reporting for fear of being punished. It's also clear cut that not everyone reads the rules, or word for word.

OoohDiscordKittens

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Mostly correct, ear rape and soundboards are considered spam
I was pretty nervous answering so I guess I went brainlet mode. I knew they were not allowed but I kept telling myself to look at the rules and reply with what the rules say, ignoring probably the most important one. "Examples are listed. But just because you don't see something here does not mean it is not included." Pretty embarrassing on my part. Thank you for the feedback.

OoohDiscordKittens

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
My point is, that rule specifically states reporting people that aren't breaking the rules is punishable in itself, right? So each of those invalid reports, in theory, the author needs punishing.
It is nigh on impossible to determine if the reporter knew for certain, or just believed, the issue was against the rules, or if they are doing it out of spite. Therefore it's impossible in my opinion to issue a punishment for a false report.

I have only dealt with one report my self where it was a clear case of "he reported me so I am reporting him", but in BOTH of them cases, despite it being malicious on both sides, they both did break the rules. So I punished them for breaking the rules, not for malicious reporting. I have yet to experience an actual false report. The majority of reports are people reporting what they genuinely believed to be issues or rule breaks. And I will refuse to get into the habit of discouraging users from reporting for fear of being punished. It's also clear cut that not everyone reads the rules, or word for word.
I was sort of thinking something similar when answering, how it might be scary for players to submit replies if they were constantly banned for the wrong ones. But like I said to Jermaphobe, I was answering based strictly off the rules so that is my fault for assuming the worst of things. But I thank you for the clarification. So my current understanding is, only if it is clearly evident that the person reporting is doing it maliciously or out of spite. Other than that the rule is more of a placeholder for relating situations. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Xantam

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
I was sort of thinking something similar when answering, how it might be scary for players to submit replies if they were constantly banned for the wrong ones. But like I said to Jermaphobe, I was answering based strictly off the rules so that is my fault for assuming the worst of things. But I thank you for the clarification. So my current understanding is, only if it is clearly evident that the person reporting is doing it maliciously or out of spite. Other than that the rule is more of a placeholder for relating situations. Once again, thank you for your feedback.
You have absolutely nothing to apologise for, if anything I apologise to you. I used you to express my discontent for this stupid rule and you couldn't answer right or wrong either way, so I apologise.