• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Bottiger

Administrator
Maybe they can use such mods as part of their portfolios when applying to jobs or starting new companies and recruiting?

That is just not going to be a very impressive thing to put on your portfolio when you can hire someone else that made their own indie game.

I mean look at the original Team Fortress Quake mod

Making a mod is like making your own game. Porting a game is much less impressive.

Praetorian

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
I agree with Basiuc-Brinzei's overall view when he was asked about the current state of tf2 and the exciting possibilities and opportunities with the Source 2 engine. Particularly when he states, "having the official Source 2 tools available in tf2 natively would be a godsend for all modders to experiment with"

I hope one day soon this will happen after seeing a glimpse of those possibilities for this awesome game to advance for generations to come.

Reactions: VentureDev

Bottiger

Administrator
I mean everyone can agree that the current state of tf2 is bad.

But they're spending so much time and effort on it when there's 0 chance Valve would let this project kill the mann co store or let them maintain the team fortress brand. Either the project is so good that it threatens the mann co store, or it is nowhere the quality of the original and becomes another tf2classic that wasted so much volunteer time on projects with no future.

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I mean everyone can agree that the current state of tf2 is bad.

But they're spending so much time and effort on it when there's 0 chance Valve would let this project kill the mann co store or let them maintain the team fortress brand. Either the project is so good that it threatens the mann co store, or it is nowhere the quality of the original and becomes another tf2classic that wasted so much volunteer time on projects with no future.

The only time I've seen something like this work and thrive is when there are 0 other competitors including the original source.
An example is Disney's Toontown Online which went from 2003-early 2013. Fan revival came up in very late 2013 called Toontown Rewritten and Disney let it stay since it's free and the team is making 0 cash from it and now in 2021 it's still got thousands of players.

Bottiger

Administrator
Yeah I mean I just can't imagine valve willing letting tf2 be continued by a random 3rd party of volunteers.

I talked to someone who just joined the TFS2 team and he said he thinks they will be like the team that made Black Mesa, where Valve thought it was so good that they allowed them to sell their half-life remake and they made enough money to actually hire people and become their own studio.

I just don't see this happening with tf2. Not to mention it took them 7 years to get valve to approach them, and another 8 years to actually finish it.

Reactions: Seminal Inhalation

VentureDev

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Wishful thinking. Hope the project doesn't die out but these are the same people behind Creators.tf

Bottiger

Administrator
I mean this time they actually got sites like Kotaku and pcgamer to report on it. They supposedly got a lot of volunteers but they are being bribed with a s&ndbox key.

★Major Pootis Steeljaw☆

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
This is completely unrelated to the post, but.
1629014572963.png

I never noticed Bottiger had ' administrator. ' Instead of something like ' Owner. '

But, as for source-2. I can't wait to see what could become of it, provided it doesn't spark out and die.

Bottiger

Administrator
I really don't think it'll succeed long term but I will still probably get a lot of people pming me to make tfs2 servers if it ever releases. This is why I don't like the project. It is splitting up the player base when it has a low chance of being an actual tf2 replacement.

The amount of work needed to make it surpass original tf2 is much too high for a volunteer group and I just don't see Valve ever giving the ok for them to officially support it, given the money they still make from tf2 and how silly it would look to make everyone download a separate game (s&ndbox) in order to run it. It just doesn't look professional.

StereoBucket

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
The only thing that I personally see maaaaaybeee happening one day is if the Team Comtress fixes get included into the main TF2 build. That's something that seems realistic. Everyone hopping to S2 TF2 and play that instead, if it happens, feels like a fantasy.

Not sure how S2 and its physics function, I've not delved into it, but if for example the port to S2 "fixes" surfing, that'd suck, so not only do you have to somehow port the main game, you also have to recreate the weird source quirks. I'd hope whoever is making S2 port of TF2 doesn't pull a crowbar collective and fixes quirks that needn't be fixed and then stubbornly refuses to roll those back.

I'm not holding my breath for S2 TF2, I'm only hoping for TC2 getting merged with TF2 so we get those fixes and changes Valve never bothered to do.

Bottiger

Administrator
Surfing is a bug in the physics engine. I wouldn't be surprised if it just didn't work.
rich.jpg

Basic engine fixes are more feasible but less interesting. We've already made some of our own improvements to the engine that could be done server side, not including several crash fixes.

Last edited: