• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

What is your opinion on the AFK bot system?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The only problem I have with turning to bot while AFK is that in 2 minutes bot gets dominated like 3 times and then I have to clear the dominations. LOL.
It's just my personal vendetta against dominations though.

[tkb] ginger

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
My medic bot destroyed my friend with saws to the face, many laughs were had! I love those little bastards. !afk is the best command if you want to have a good laugh.

Jessie

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
I hate them, half the time they are just mindlessly running around like they are spies if you shoot at them or they get stuck somewhere,

Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
I hate them, half the time they are just mindlessly running around like they are spies if you shoot at them or they get stuck somewhere,

Think them them as little distractions then because the other team is going to fire on them regardless.

Jusey1

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
They have no skill.

I wouldn't say that.

I've gotten a Sniper bot to dominate 3 actual players before just by making sure he has a good sniping spot. (Pushed him into a teleporter while as Engi). Sniper bots has better aim than most Snipers I've seen honestly. Then again, most Snipers tends to be F2P PyroGibus-Snipers.

Yuki Nagato

Uncharitable Spy
This was a waypoint problem that has been fixed.

There's still an issue on dustbowl I'm afraid. I noticed yesterday on stage two that blue bots would be trying to get back to the stage one area and just standing by the fence blocking it, they seem to still think they're on red at stage one. Perhaps it might be easier to just use the default Valve bots for this, not custom ones?

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
There's still an issue on dustbowl I'm afraid. I noticed yesterday on stage two that blue bots would be trying to get back to the stage one area and just standing by the fence blocking it, they seem to still think they're on red at stage one. Perhaps it might be easier to just use the default Valve bots for this, not custom ones?

I'm assuming he spent all that time making a custom bot because the valve bots might not be programable, or at least not the point where they can take over AFK players.

bitch pudding

Mildly Menacing Medic
from what ive seen from some of the other larger communities there are 3 ways svrs are dealt with during low traffic times:

1. seeding, as in ppl sit afk via console or actually just afking in spec as ppl join.
2. bots
3. the svr stays empty until peak traffic times.

there's really no cureall in terms of a perfect method to deal with low traffic times but I'd say the bots are the best way to do it. While the bots are not exciting, you can still play the map as ppl come on. Bottiger and skial as a whole is looking at the bigger picture in terms of getting the svrs moving and active. If you're kinda like me where your best times to play are during low traffic periods of the day then yea it sucks, but I'll be honest if im just fucking around i''d rather play on a svr with bots and 2-3 ppl as opposed to a valve svr as i wait for the svr to fill up.

Honestly, explain to me the skill difference between some nerd on a valve svr with 400 ping and a bot on a dedicated community svr?

edit: im a nerd b/c ive bound a voicemenu 1 7 command to trigger an uber.

also i'm the definitive mediocre solly but the bot pyros reflect better than your avg pub pyro imo

Last edited:

_fame

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I believe that the system works fine, the bots are balanced and what not. What I do not like is the fact that on the US Frontier server and I'm sure on many others, people make sure that their players are in !afk mode and leave. There have been two bots on the entire day one with over 1000 points, either leveling up stranges (which isn't a bad idea) or idling to get hours, which is extremely annoying imho.

Cammy_Plays

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Here's my argument against any AFK bot system

What if someone wants to join a server,but the AFK bot takes their place?The argument is usually "But why should someone be kicked if they have to go to the bathroom or something?" That's their fault (I don't want to sound like an asshole but why should someone have to go somewhere and complain that they were kicked,find a new server!)

It seems that every time I play Spy,the bots know exactly where I am and can see through my disguise.It's annoying so when I try to take out a nest I'm discovered in 5 seconds.Not just playing as Spy,the bots constantly come around a wall knowing I'm there.

It just annoys me.A 5 minute kick for being AFK shouldn't be much to add.That is my argument

Acey Drgn

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
AFK bots are fun to play with and against... adds challenge if you ask me.

But then, you always get that one medic on the enemy team healing an AFK heavy...

• Dumb
Reactions: The GNAA

Bottiger

Administrator
What if someone wants to join a server,but the AFK bot takes their place?

Afks get kicked when the server is full. If you see someone afk for a long time in a full server they either added the afk tag to their name without actually being afk or they are a donator in which case they have the rights to stay in the server longer.

Kenpachi Ramasama

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Eh. I usually seed the server until people show up. I like to try to reach 200+ points before people start joining. Keeps me active, and I can seed.

LiterallyCody

Totally Ordinary Human
the only problem I've noticed with some of these AFK bots is also how they have seemingly more health than they're supposed to. Like an AFK scout would run up to a sentry and it doesn't take 1 second to kill them, instead for some reason they have 350 health it seems.

Big Balls Bill

Scarcely Lethal Noob
We know that the bots aren't as smart as we'd like them to be but we don't have unlimited time or resources to make them perfect.

Well there's a simple solution to that pal, remove the bots. People are complaining about the stupidity of these bots because they damage the flow of play for other people. The training mode bots are stupid because they do insane things like all rush the point at once or stand staring at a dispensor for a bit. These bots are no better than some 4chan kid who downloaded LmaoBox.

I appreciate the effort that has gone into these bots, I know it's not too easy to make things like this, but this isn't the way to get around the problem. By putting these bots in you are only masking the problem with an even worse one. If a person is kicked for being AFK, then that's their problem. You're not the only server community in TF2, there are over 3,000 servers for a person to choose from. If they're kicked because they're taking a shit then they can join another server or rejoin from the server history or through their friends.
I enjoy Skial servers, purely because they run very little shitty plugins (excluding the bots here) and all of them have alltalk on, which is nice, but these bots are making me want to add another set of servers to my blacklist more and more. I know some people like them, but a lot of people don't.

TL;DR Skial pls remove these fucking bots.

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Well there's a simple solution to that pal, remove the bots. People are complaining about the stupidity of these bots because they damage the flow of play for other people. The training mode bots are stupid because they do insane things like all rush the point at once or stand staring at a dispensor for a bit. These bots are no better than some 4chan kid who downloaded LmaoBox.

I appreciate the effort that has gone into these bots, I know it's not too easy to make things like this, but this isn't the way to get around the problem. By putting these bots in you are only masking the problem with an even worse one. If a person is kicked for being AFK, then that's their problem. You're not the only server community in TF2, there are over 3,000 servers for a person to choose from. If they're kicked because they're taking a shit then they can join another server or rejoin from the server history or through their friends.
I enjoy Skial servers, purely because they run very little shitty plugins (excluding the bots here) and all of them have alltalk on, which is nice, but these bots are making me want to add another set of servers to my blacklist more and more. I know some people like them, but a lot of people don't.

TL;DR Skial pls remove these fucking bots.
Honestly, if I stepped away for three minutes to take a phone call, and I was in a server that was completely full and takes 5-20 minutes to get into (and I didn't have donator abilities), I would be seriously pissed that I got kicked over just a couple minutes. I have a feeling many long-time skial regulars would feel the exact same way. The AFK system is not that intrusive. Even for donators, you only get to be an AFK bot for so long (I believe it's around five to eight minutes as donator) before you kicked. If people are staying there longer than that, then, as previously stated, they (1) are intentionally evading the AFK system, or they (2) have "AFK" in their name to mess with you. I don't believe having one or two people AFK-ing for a couple minutes should influence your game too much. Sometimes, I have seen instances of a player going afk and evading the kick system just to watch his heavy shit on the team. This would be worth reporting.

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
With the poll on this thread and the one you just made you are in the minority.
262826269a78c547b0f644d7f3836847.png

It is also 17 for 14 against on this one which has been up for a bit. The fact is majority is for the bot system we have and the servers that I frequent I have heard no complaints about them.

Bottiger

Administrator
It is the way around the problem and we have the data to back it up. We have the most players out of any community by a long shot and not because we make dumb decisions.

If you haven't noticed, most of those 3000 other non-valve servers are pretty much dead.

If I had someone go afk on my team, I'd rather have a stupid player than someone idling at spawn. Afks are automatically kicked when the servers are filled.

There have been very few complaints and most of them are from people who don't play on our servers until recently such as yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.