• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

What is your opinion on the AFK bot system?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maribu of marki

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Dear Skial,
Can we please get rid of the stupid afk bot system? I play on skial because you don't have bots, but this system makes it simply unpleasant to play. I truly dislike it because they have no skill, the weirdest tracking, and have no game sense. Unfortunately I will probably stop playing on skial servers because of this.
Sincerely,
A concerned tf2 player

Last edited:

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Can you say what you dislike about them specifically in case Bottiger might be able to fix it?

"It's stupid" doesn't give him much to work with.

Maribu of marki

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Simply the fact that I have to play against bots. I'm sure you know what it is like to play against a bot. They have no skill, the weirdest tracking, and have no game sense.

Maribu of marki

Scarcely Lethal Noob
And yes, I would rather enjoy shooting nothing rather than a bot because there are still people on the server, and i could shot those people.

"SUPREME-CHOLO" [SFM POSTERS]

Scarcely Lethal Noob
actually no, however the fact that there are stupid bots doing the same stupid things all around the map, who cannot be strafe shot, trickstabbed, and are always circlestrafing, messing with k/d and ruining the game in general, is really annoying.

Yuki Nagato

Uncharitable Spy
I agree they are monumentally stupid, and I'd swear I've seen people moving in a very bot like way who didn't have AFK in their name which makes me think it's being exploited somehow. I think at the very least they should be confined to medics and engineers as they would at least be useful in some way then.

also for some weird reason they have absolutely amazing tracking and can see through disguises and can land a shot from a mile away

I've actually seen them looking through floors and ceilings. They seem to be aware of every model on the server. They call spy even if you decloak a mile away too.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You could always leave the server if it has nothing but bots and go to a server that has players. I mean, that's the most logical thing to do but that's just me.

Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
I agree they are monumentally stupid, and I'd swear I've seen people moving in a very bot like way who didn't have AFK in their name which makes me think it's being exploited somehow. I think at the very least they should be confined to medics and engineers as they would at least be useful in some way then.

The Medic bots are pretty broken right now, actually.

Bottiger

Administrator
They aren't going to be removed. I wonder why some people have trouble understanding that removing bots will make the server less likely to fill up with people that you so love to play with.

We don't use bots because we love bots. We use them because they are better than no player at all. When the servers fills, afks are kicked.

We understand that some people have a strange ideological belief against bots that they cannot even tolerate 3 bots out of 20 players (as is the case with the server you were on right now). If you are one of these people, then simply go on one of our other servers that doesn't have them, or wait until everyone has done the work of seeding the server for you.

People complained that the heavy bot was too good so it was made dumber when it was already very dumb. The skill of the bots are measured by our rating system and taken into account by auto-scramble so there should never be a case where you are winning or losing because of them.

If you feel the game is too easy, then blame the people on the other team.

Reactions: 3dhomejoe

Maribu of marki

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I do understand that you need bots to fill up servers. That makes sense. But I did prefer the old method when bots were only introduced when there were too few players.

I also understand that you probably wont remove this new system, but could you make the wait time to change to a bot longer or move half of the people to spectate?

Bottiger

Administrator
I don't know about you, but I would rather have a bot than someone sitting in spawn afk for more than 3 minutes. Some rounds last less than 5 minutes.

Sending people to spectator is what we used to do and if it was just as good we wouldn't have bothered making this new system.

Yuki Nagato

Uncharitable Spy
Red bots on Dustbowl either think they're on blue or know nothing beyond shooting the other team. They'll just stand in spawn looking around unless you move them, once outside they stand waiting for the gate to open. They only do something if you actually move them into combat yourself, but once they've respawned they'll be standing in spawn doing nothing again. Ironically the only person the bot killed in this demonstration was also AFK.

slowguy

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
i dont even know whats the big deal. no offense but if you dont like it, you are free to go anywhere else. skial does these things for a reason and most love them

Bottiger

Administrator
We know that the bots aren't as smart as we'd like them to be but we don't have unlimited time or resources to make them perfect. If we have a complicated system like this, chances are that we already know what the tradeoffs are and found it to be worth the issues.

If there are any major problems, then you can tell us, but please don't get mad at us.

Red bots on Dustbowl either think they're on blue or know nothing beyond shooting the other team. They'll just stand in spawn looking around unless you move them, once outside they stand waiting for the gate to open. They only do something if you actually move them into combat yourself, but once they've respawned they'll be standing in spawn doing nothing again. Ironically the only person the bot killed in this demonstration was also AFK.

This was a waypoint problem that has been fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.