butterfingersman

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Please start a thread in the Suggestions forum.
As per request.
So, suppose you're playing on USW4 and someone keeps spamming, "Selling stranges! Check my bp! !bp Pootisboy69!"about eight times per round.
I think that should be a mute-worthy offense because seeing this so often is very irritating. It gets even distracting, and could be considered "team harming" to an extent.
The rule would be that players could maybe have 5 trade spams per round tops. With a warning at 4. I've been using this rule on USW4 for a while, and it seems to work very well.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I just want to see a small amendment to the rules. Maybe make the spamming rule a little more in-depth and include trade spam in the rule directly.
(Maybe instead of just "Spamming." it can become "Spamming. This includes spamming the chat or mic with trade, music, or useless speech that is purposely intended to annoy people.")
Also, I believe a ban for trade spam right up front is too harsh. As I suggested MULTIPLE times,
but it's spam. You're suggesting a warning system for all spam, not just trade spam. if someone mashed their get wrecked kid bind 10 times in a row they would get a warning right? Then they'd move into gags and temp bans? I dunno. HOW DO ADMINS SHOT WEB AT SPAMMERS.

If someone taps their trade bind like... once a round or once when they die it isn't even really spammy then either. :S

Maybe I'm not understanding what your definition for spam would be. Could you give me an example?

butterfingersman

Contributor
but it's spam. You're suggesting a warning system for all spam, not just trade spam. if someone mashed their get wrecked kid bind 10 times in a row they would get a warning right? Then they'd move into gags and temp bans? I dunno. HOW DO ADMINS SHOT WEB AT SPAMMERS.

If someone taps their trade bind like... once a round or once when they die it isn't even really spammy then either. :S

Maybe I'm not understanding what your definition for spam would be. Could you give me an example?
I'm just stating this rule for trade spam. For other spams, there could be different rules?
In my definition, trade spam is over five taps of their trade key bind in one game. One to four is completely alright with me. It's 5+ where it gets irritating.
I've been doing a thing on USW4 that if someone trade spams 5+ times in one round, I tell them to keep it down to one to five per round (with some scary green text). If they intentionally spam once or twice more that round, I call votemute. If they surpass five tradespams the next round, I call votemute. (Note that these votemutes have passed every time I've called them)
I suppose I just want this to be a rule somewhere, so that someone doesn't feel they've been unfairly muted. I kinda also feel bad muting these people, because it's not exactly in the rules anywhere.
If anyone has a better system with dealing with trade spammers, please say so. I just found this system to be effective of late.

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
but if spam and griefing are bannable, and admins are all 'ehhhh I suppose you are spamming' they could warn the person before banning them. They could even mute or kick the person as a part of the warning! :O
Consider it a lighter version of the spamming rule, just kick him at worst. Banning for wanting to trade feels a bit excessive to me.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
+1 trade spamming affects the team. We go to trade servers to trade, non trade servers to play.
Once or twice is ok, but constantly asking if someone has crates 1, 19, 20, 30, 40 / buying all craft hats, just says to me that the person is more interested in trading than playing.

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Giildy is right, we already have rules for spam, and if someone keeps repeating something what 90% of the server doesn't care (or even annoys some) about multiple times (a trade offer in this case), it's considered as spam.

I don't see this thread as a rule-suggestion, more of an existing rule's interpretation to practical use.

Reactions: Giildy

butterfingersman

Contributor
Giildy is right, we already have rules for spam, and if someone keeps repeating something what 90% of the server doesn't care (or even annoys some) about multiple times (a trade offer in this case), it's considered as spam.

I don't see this thread as a rule-suggestion, more of an existing rule's interpretation to practical use.
I just kinda wanna see an alteration to the rules page to include "Trade spam" in it somewhere.
(Also, trade spam shouldn't account for a ban. It should only account for a mute. This makes it different from the current rule.)

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I just kinda wanna see an alteration to the rules page to include "Trade spam" in it somewhere.
(Also, trade spam shouldn't account for a ban. It should only account for a mute. This makes it different from the current rule.)
You realize that bott is all about attracting traders and not driving them away right? I was under the impression that he wants us to be a fancy trading corner of the tf2 community.

I dunno. It just seems like adding that clause or even continuing the behavior you've been doing to 'enforce' a no trade spam rule isn't helping anything. :-S If I just came across that rule I'd think the community was a trader hostile place.
:(

Alienating people isn't good. .-. Treat spam as spam because it's spam. people being afk forever while trading is harming the team, afk manager will move them to spectate or boot them after a period of time. Making special muting rules for that sort of behavior seems unnecessary and hostile.

repeat hostile a few times.

Then again if bott approves of the additional interpretation and doesn't think it's overkill. :: shrugs ::

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
You realize that bott is all about attracting traders and not driving them away right? I was under the impression that he wants us to be a fancy trading corner of the tf2 community.

I dunno. It just seems like adding that clause or even continuing the behavior you've been doing to 'enforce' a no trade spam rule isn't helping anything. :-S If I just came across that rule I'd think the community was a trader hostile place.

Alienating people isn't good. .-. Treat spam as spam because it's spam. people being afk forever while trading is harming the team, afk manager will move them to spectate or boot them after a period of time. Making special muting rules for that sort of behavior seems unnecessary and hostile.

Then again if bott approves of the additional interpretation and doesn't think it's overkill. :: shrugs ::
You just gotta have limits, I think it's just as hostile to go on a server set up for playing and doing continual trading. And lets face it, those who spam trade on game servers are those looking to get cheap items from those who are not into trading, just to make a profit, they are not interested in playing. The trade servers are always full, perhaps it would be prudent to add another to each server farm.
Those who I have seen as real offenders of trade spam, make sure they never get moved afk, nobody is against trading on game servers, just against those who go there just to trade.

+1 I agree with this most of the time they only go on to the normal servers because they are going to think their going to make profit of some noob :/ I support this thread +9999999999999999999.

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
If it came up I'll just mention that the AFK manager always tries to put me to spectators while I'm crouching behind a sentry CTRL+M1 mode... : )

butterfingersman

Contributor
How many times does this need to be said?
HE DOESN'T WANT TO BAN THEM HE WANTS TO MUTE!
This.

:: Shrugs ::
I just think that traders should be on their trade server and actual players should be on the gaming servers.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
This.

:: Shrugs ::
I just think that traders should be on their trade server and actual players should be on the gaming servers.
You know. I needed to look up the rules because I'm lame and I hate fun and I rediscovered this little tidbit in the rules:
The following offenses may result in admin intervention, which may include being gagged, muted, kicked, and/or banned. Depending on the severity of the offense and if it has been repeated, a ban may be short term, long term, or permanent.
There's nothing saying that spam MUST be countered with banning. Just that spam CAN be countered with banning.

\o/

butterfingersman

Contributor
You know. I needed to look up the rules because I'm lame and I hate fun and I rediscovered this little tidbit in the rules:
There's nothing saying that spam MUST be countered with banning. Just that spam CAN be countered with banning.

\o/

butterfingersman

Contributor
Eh, bump?
((I'm seeking a slight alteration of the rules to specify the words "Trade Spam" somewhere in the spamming rule.))