• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

TheMightyMat

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Hi,
You probably know that custom animations where recently added to the "sv_pure 1" list of stuff allowed, however on skial servers these are still blocked, even though skial servers use pure 1, suggesting that they were intentionally added to the list of stuff blocked.

My question is why? They can't be used for cheating (anybody can turn off their viewmodels if they think they get in the way), and they don't seem to cause any problems.

Thanks!

Pedro the fabulous

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Master Mapper
Enter the Itemtest map before joining a sv_pure 1 server, or it might not work.
EDIT: This only needs to be done once every time you start TF2.

TheMightyMat

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Enter the Itemtest map before joining a sv_pure 1 server, or it might not work.
EDIT: This only needs to be done once every time you start TF2.
They work in every other server, why not skial? (btw all of them do not use SCA, so they are not the ones that break on pure servers)...

Pedro the fabulous

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Master Mapper
They work in every other server, why not skial? (btw all of them do not use SCA, so they are not the ones that break on pure servers)...
Are you sure "every other server" uses sv_pure = 1? I can get my animations to work on skial anyway. Sometimes I don't need the itemtest map workaround and just join skial and it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's strange.

TheMightyMat

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Are you sure "every other server" uses sv_pure = 1? I can get my animations to work on skial anyway. Sometimes I don't need the itemtest map workaround and just join skial and it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's strange.
Yea - I tested it on multiple servers (valve servers, custom servers using pure, random servers I clicked on and others), and the animations work on all of them (except servers that use pure 2)

My theory with this would be that since the servers use a custom whitelist (to allow the signed VPKs people have submited), it is possible that when the update came around this custom whitelist didn't get updated to allow viewmodel animations? However, since others have said that theirs work, I am not certain...

TheMightyMat

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Have you uploaded a custom file to the server pool?
No, and doing this would be a sort of fix, however if the problem is the whitelist then this would only really fix the issue for me and not anybody else wanting to use custom animations.

TheMightyMat

Scarcely Lethal Noob
No, and doing this would be a sort of fix, however if the problem is the whitelist then this would only really fix the issue for me and not anybody else wanting to use custom animations.
I'm trying to add them to the allowed mods thingy now, i'll get back with results soon.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If the server is pure 1, then you need to have a matching file on the server to be able to use that matching file client side. i.e your custom animation. The files uploaded are the whitelist in this case.
Also, not sure if skial servers run an md5 check to stop people using corrupt or tampered files.

TheMightyMat

Scarcely Lethal Noob
If the server is pure 1, then you need to have a matching file on the server to be able to use that matching file client side. i.e your custom animation. The files uploaded are the whitelist in this case.
Also, not sure if skial servers run an md5 check to stop people using corrupt or tampered files.
The latest update added custom animations (anything using c_CLASSNAME_animations.mdl) to the whitelist on sv_pure 1 servers, so they should be working.

I have sort of made progress - I got "custom animations" working using the mod uploader thing, the problem is that the mod uploader gives you a signed VPK which is supposed to be allowed on the server, which it is, however the problem is is that for some reason it only accepts .zip files and not VPKs, so I had to unpack every vpk and put it into a single ZIP, which seems to have broken all the animations (either that or the actual uploader broke them). Now, I have a big red error in my face and the weapons don't move, just float in the middle of my screen.....

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The latest update added custom animations (anything using c_CLASSNAME_animations.mdl) to the whitelist on sv_pure 1 servers, so they should be working.

I have sort of made progress - I got "custom animations" working using the mod uploader thing, the problem is that the mod uploader gives you a signed VPK which is supposed to be allowed on the server, which it is, however the problem is is that for some reason it only accepts .zip files and not VPKs, so I had to unpack every vpk and put it into a single ZIP, which seems to have broken all the animations (either that or the actual uploader broke them). Now, I have a big red error in my face and the weapons don't move, just float in the middle of my screen.....
Not sure that you should have unpacked the VPK, but to be honest, I don't know what's happening, can anyone else here give a simplified explanation of the process?

TheMightyMat

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I got them working (turns out it will take VPKs if you put them in a zip), however when using the signed VPK, the game now crashes. Does this convert the mods to use seperated c_animations? If so, that really needs to be fixed :)