Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Please stop bumping this so frequently.

I don't like the idea of a shoutbox, I think they're kind of trashy looking. Maybe a tab at the top that opens an IRC channel or something would work.

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
How can you think this is a bad idea? Just imagine the possibilites.

CINIC GO KILL YOURSELF YOU HUMONGOUS ASSHOLE

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
I'm not for sure whether to give this a +1 or -1. Pretty TL;DR here.

+1 for the fact that it would give forum goers a chance to communicate without needing to use posts, PMs, or the TeamSpeak server, but I say if it were to be implemented, have it be moderated, if it was found on the home page of the forum, people going in there and doing things like dropping N-Bombs or posting NSFW content would more than likely turn people away from wanting to use the forum on a regular basis. What'd be nice though, also if this were implemented, having seperate boxes, one in General for discussion, shooting the shit, etc, possibly one in TF2 to discuss TF2 related stuff like SFM, Comp TF2, etc, a box in the Trading section so people could just talk with other traders online instead of combing the section for a thread about and item the need to buy or sell, and a box in the Support section for people to relay messages about server griefing, racists, server problems/crashes, and hackers much faster than making a report or adding an admin.

-1 for the fact that it would need to be moderated of course, as I stated before. How would actually fit with the theme of the forum is unknown, so it may just look ugly and out of place. Another reason is that out of the 350+ people on the forum daily, 250+ of those are guests passing by, and the 100 or so actual members, a good 40-50 use just the trading section, leaving only a small population left that actual participate in forum going and forum posting, most of which use the Skial TeamSpeak server as a place to hang out, so the boxes would more than likely end up being empty 90% of the time.

Reactions: Doctor Who

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
+1
A shoutbox is a great idea, the only thing that needs to be taking into consideration is spam.. shoutboxes get spammed to fuck, there would need to be limits as to how often you can post, but even then you get calls for expanding the limit as people cannot answer someone, because they hit their limit.
Offensive words can be converted to *&%$£' but it would be the same rules as the forum anyway, being an integral part of it.
Also the teamspeak server I believe, is mainly used by those in the US, however there is an evergrowing population of eu users on the forum, and i can say with confidence that a far smaller % of eu players use mics than US players. for one thing there are many different languages involved.
A shout box would also fit into the default theme pretty well, there is a perfect empty space just below the 'recent status updates' section. it could even replace this section completely, so as it fits nicely into the dark theme as well with no layout disruption.
I can see a shoutbox being used regularly, and believe it would be a benefit to the forum.

Pinker-tan

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'm not for sure whether to give this a +1 or -1. Pretty TL;DR here.

+1 for the fact that it would give forum goers a chance to communicate without needing to use posts, PMs, or the TeamSpeak server, but I say if it were to be implemented, have it be moderated, if it was found on the home page of the forum, people going in there and doing things like dropping N-Bombs or posting NSFW content would more than likely turn people away from wanting to use the forum on a regular basis. What'd be nice though, also if this were implemented, having seperate boxes, one in General for discussion, shooting the shit, etc, possibly one in TF2 to discuss TF2 related stuff like SFM, Comp TF2, etc, a box in the Trading section so people could just talk with other traders online instead of combing the section for a thread about and item the need to buy or sell, and a box in the Support section for people to relay messages about server griefing, racists, server problems/crashes, and hackers much faster than making a report or adding an admin.

-1 for the fact that it would need to be moderated of course, as I stated before. How would actually fit with the theme of the forum is unknown, so it may just look ugly and out of place. Another reason is that out of the 350+ people on the forum daily, 250+ of those are guests passing by, and the 100 or so actual members, a good 40-50 use just the trading section, leaving only a small population left that actual participate in forum going and forum posting, most of which use the Skial TeamSpeak server as a place to hang out, so the boxes would more than likely end up being empty 90% of the time.

Maybe a shoutbox moderator rank?

Pinker-tan

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
+1
A shoutbox is a great idea, the only thing that needs to be taking into consideration is spam.. shoutboxes get spammed to fuck, there would need to be limits as to how often you can post, but even then you get calls for expanding the limit as people cannot answer someone, because they hit their limit.
Offensive words can be converted to *&%$£' but it would be the same rules as the forum anyway, being an integral part of it.
Also the teamspeak server I believe, is mainly used by those in the US, however there is an evergrowing population of eu users on the forum, and i can say with confidence that a far smaller % of eu players use mics than US players. for one thing there are many different languages involved.
A shout box would also fit into the default theme pretty well, there is a perfect empty space just below the 'recent status updates' section. it could even replace this section completely, so as it fits nicely into the dark theme as well with no layout disruption.
I can see a shoutbox being used regularly, and believe it would be a benefit to the forum.

most shoutbox's have 3 second waiting times, plus if there were a shoutbox moderator rank it would work out perfectly

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
most shoutbox's have 3 second waiting times, plus if there were a shoutbox moderator rank it would work out perfectly
I'm thinking more of the spam that people fill the box with useless garbage.. it could be set so you can only have 2 messages say on the screen at one time. not sure what you mean by moderator rank, as we already have good active moderators. guests would obviously not be allowed to post in the shoutbox, and the rules for the box are the same as for any part of the forum incorperating the warning system which is in place.

Pinker-tan

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'm thinking more of the spam that people fill the box with useless garbage.. it could be set so you can only have 2 messages say on the screen at one time. not sure what you mean by moderator rank, as we already have good active moderators. guests would obviously not be allowed to post in the shoutbox, and the rules for the box are the same as for any part of the forum incorperating the warning system which is in place.

I mean the forum moderators also get the shoutbox moderator, so they can gag/ban people from the shoutbox. Also disabling it so people can't put pictures in the shoutbox with [ img ]

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Maybe you could just be able to close it and every time you refresh the page it opens again?

Pinker-tan

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Maybe you could just be able to close it and every time you refresh the page it opens again?

Well you wouldn't be able to close it, it wouldn't harm you if it were open. It's just a little box where people can chat. Really easy to ignore it and go by

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
in the dark theme
QMiRP.png