• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Osprey

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
I noticed that the new server changes have replaced the Gravel Pit server with a "popular maps" rotation server. As I type this, there are 10 people playing Goldrush on US11. You took away a standard map that had regular players to split traffic between two servers running the same map.

Gravel Pit is one of the standard, Valve cp maps - it's essential. I don't see why I would donate to a group of servers which didn't offer unfettered access to the standard maps.

I don't know if this was a mistake but splitting Skial's traffic between the dedicated servers and a "popular maps" rotation server is a bad idea. Furthermore, if the idea is that non-donators can join the "popular map" server when the regular server is full then that's an insult to donators and a clear message that they aren't appreciated. I hope that wasn't the line of thought when the decision was made; I want to assume that these changes were the result of a simple mistake.(edit: that wasn't the idea).

Ladies and gentleman, here's your new-look US11:
kX1Z7.jpg

Reactions: Doki and Anya

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
why did bott do this?
honestly the only "popular maps" server i see in hlstats that has a decent amount of players in it is the uswest server.

Osprey

Contributor
why did bott do this?
honestly the only "popular maps" server i see in hlstats that has a decent amount of players in it is the uswest server.

Because people are playing Skyrim, I guess.

Osprey

Contributor
but goldrush HAD PLAYERS PLAYING IT.
it had regulars. it had randoms. IT HAD ACTUAL PEOPLE PLAYING.
unlike these empty shit popular map servers

No, I mean that people are playing Skyrim so Bottiger is crowdsourcing server change ideas in an effort to keep the traffic up.

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
but if he REALLY wants more traffic why doesnt he do a RTD 2fort or something on usw?

Bottiger

Administrator
The gravel pit server was empty for almost 16 hours until I changed it to 2Fort.
show_graph.php

We are not exactly full of cash. If a server gets this empty it will put Skial at risk.

Osprey

Contributor
We are not exactly full of cash. If a server gets this empty it will put Skial at risk.

Not even offering the standard Valve maps isn't going to get people to donate. Not to mention, I don't see any admins pushing for donations. Heck, I tell people to donate all of the time but I never hear anyone else say it. If the server is tight on cash, why not do some grassroots marketing to get donations? A push by all admins and people who wear the [skial] tag for donations. I mean, how many impressions on those video ads does it take to make up for a handful of donators? I know that you're already making one donator think twice about renewing his privileges when they run out early next year.

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
Not even offering the standard Valve maps isn't going to get people to donate.
That's a wrong statement. I barley use any Valve standard Maps since I mostly trade and just a few days ago I extended my donation until the end of february. The statement might fight to you and you might stop donating but it doesn't mean others will stop donating.
I don't personally care if we have each of the Valve Maps on a 24/7 server.
Some maps are popular some aren't. Foundry will get very popular creating lots of traffic because people want to get these 12 achievments.

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
That's a wrong statement. I barley use any Valve standard Maps since I mostly trade and just a few days ago I extended my donation until the end of february. The statement might fight to you and you might stop donating but it doesn't mean others will stop donating.
I don't personally care if we have each of the Valve Maps on a 24/7 server.
Some maps are popular some aren't. Foundry will get very popular creating lots of traffic because people want to get these 12 achievments.
thats because you ONLY use trade

Reactions: CiNiC

Osprey

Contributor
The gravel pit server was empty for almost 16 hours until I changed it to 2Fort.
show_graph.php

I'll leave it at this: I can live with no Gravel Pit on Skial; I'll just play the map on a better server. You got burned by crowdsourcing a bad idea about setting-up these rotation servers. Nobody wants to admit it's a bad idea but there's a 5v5 Goldrush game to prove it. Gravel Pit might have lost a lot of players because 55k people are playing Skyrim but the damage your doing is longer term. Skial doesn't offer servers for Valve maps anymore. It's an Orange Maps/Minecraft trade net. I think it's a shortsighted decision that will permanent impair your community.

I put in more than my $0.02 on this issue but I want it to be known that I really believe this, not because I like the map or think I would make a good admin--I would--but because a "popular maps" rotation server is a half-baked idea that's already failing.

Reactions: Mr. Chevy

Osprey

Contributor
That's correct. So Osprey's statement is pretty wrong since he said nobody will donate anymore.
And I do play some 2Fort. If we had a fastlane server I would play on it a lot too.

Don't misquote me or put words in my mouth. I didn't say that nobody will donate. I said that I wouldn't.

Reactions: Turovik

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
Don't misquote me or put words in my mouth. I didn't say that nobody will donate. I said that I wouldn't.
Not even offering the standard Valve maps isn't going to get people to donate./quote].
Where did I misquote you? I might interpret your statement wrong but "isn't going to get people to donate" sounds like you mean more than just yourself.

Bottiger

Administrator
How about I switch it back to Gravel Pit, and if it is still empty all the time for the next few days or after winter, then I will revert it?

Reactions: Osprey