Status
Not open for further replies.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
I'm sure I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this, but I just wanted to have an open discussion among current Skialites about this being branched under racism.

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand full well why it is there and why it can be considered racist. My question is, is it being oversensitive? When was the last time anyone was actually offended by the word?

I don't have any particular reason that I think it HAS to be allowed, but there's a lot of criticism out there of Skial that it's just being oversensitive to have it being a punishable offense. My personal opinion is that I don't find it in itself to be racist to use the word, since most of the time it is referring to "a friend" or "another guy."

I'm just trying to understand on why it was decided to throw this word under racism in the first place. Now like I said, I'm not dumb, this is a thought provoking topic. I am hoping to have an elevated discussion on this where people argue with actual reasoning and not cookie cutter answers such as "It has always been against the rules so therefore it's bad," or the whole "it will open the floodgates" argument. I think it's quite simple to allow use of "nigga" while barring use of "nigger."

I personally have seen Skial mods use it outside of Skial servers and while I know what happens elsewhere isn't governed by Skial rules, obviously some people don't have a problem with using it.

To be short, I find that it borders upon unreasonable to punish for nigga and leave every other insult in the book that isn't racial open for business, especially when in most cases nigga isn't even intended to be insulting. I do care about Skial's image and I hear a great deal of griping on how people perceive us to be oversensitive.

Please keep comments and arguments in a civil manner, I am willing to be proven wrong on this issue, it's just that as I said before, I want people to stop and think about how they actually feel about the word before they respond, not just cite the rules and say "bad." I would also hope that some of our more zealous mods will allow this discussion to continue in a civil manner and not lock it immediately.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
It's rare for those things to be said. In my time I have never seen someone say 'cracker' or 'wet back' even with them being concidered racist terms.

You are right that anything outside of "nigg" derivatives is not that common, but it should still be enforced with equal authority.

Party Chocobo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You are right that anything outside of "nigg" derivatives is not that common, but it should still be enforced with equal authority.
It's the history around a word that makes it what it is. You know how many times I've been called a 'border hopper' because of being Mexican? I couldn't care less because even as the meaning has a hateful intent behind it, noone takes offence to it. It has no history or real meaning behind it.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Bottom line is some people consider it okay to use certain racist terms under certain circumstances, but Skial doesn't allow it at all simply to avoid all the loopholes that could be abused. Approving this suggestion would only cause more unnecessary problems for Skial.

It simply seems like more trouble than its worth for something so trivial, so I don't see why this is even a debatable thing

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
It's the history around a word that makes it what it is. You know how many times I've been called a 'border hopper' because of being Mexican? I couldn't care less because even as the meaning has a hateful intent behind it, noone takes offence to it. It has no history or real meaning behind it.

The Jewish people were enslaved and holocausted yet they don't take that much offense to Jew. Racism is racism is racism. Whether or not people take offense to it doesn't diminish the fact that it's racism.

JohnnyGaloshes

Banned
Contributor
Dumb, any non-friendly name call is offensive

Read it again. Blacks have made a stink for decades that it offends them when someone says any term of the word. Yet they use it themselves to each other in general banter. Can't be that offensive now can it.

Party Chocobo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It's a term that people can use to spread hateful thoughts or views. I think we've established this enough to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.