Status
Not open for further replies.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
You join a server where everyone is playing the same class on each team. You don't want to play that class but go along with it anyway for fun. Now another player joins who refuses to go along with the "same class" party, a voteban is shortly called. What do you do?

Ergoman

Uncharitable Spy
This type of situation doesn't happen very often, but it does happen from time to time. They would threaten a vote but they wouldn't go with it or be advised not to. If they did however, first, I would tell the ones behind it, the people saying "We need a Heavy Rush and we will ban you if you are not one!" I would tell them that not becoming a certain class is not a banable offense, while voteban abuse/spam is. Some people on the server would know that banning people for not playing a class is stupid, and would vote no when the vote comes up. I would vote no as well to counteract it. If enough no's pop up, then it will be counteracted. If I know beforehand that they would activate a vote, I would attempt to use a vote cancel. ex. Voting to Slay an already dead person or myself in order make the /votemenu be on cool-down.
In the very cases, where the person DID get banned, I would defend his case if he tried to appeal to the Skial Forums.

Reactions: sov

Astir

Legendary Skial King
You can use multiple commands to warn the player.

Use /csay to place a message in the middle of the screen. If the players do call a vote for the player not taking that class, you should take action yourself instead of counteracting the votemenu. You are an admin, you are above the votemenu. If the player would be falsely banned you can unban them on SourceBans.

But remember, you should take action yourself with the tools you were provided. Not only when the vote passes, but also when a false vote is issued in a case like this since the caller won't be intending to stop the class-stacking soon.

Try again.

Ergoman

Uncharitable Spy
OH, sorry. I had the mindset of a normal average player when answering the question. Not an Admin mindset. You may feel free to ask another one.

Astir

Legendary Skial King
OH, sorry. I had the mindset of a normal average player when answering the question. Not an Admin mindset. You may feel free to ask another one.
Are you applying to become a normal average person or an admin? Try again for last question, explaining step by step what you would do.
Note: you are on your own in this case, no help from other admin.

Ergoman

Uncharitable Spy
If the player threatens a vote to ban the guy for playing a different class, I will type in /csay Not becoming a certain class is not a bannable offense, while voteban abuse/spam is. I heavily discourage doing it.

I would also identify and write down the name of the person and Steam ID, followed by date/time and server IP using http://stats.skial.com/stats/hlstats.php.If they attempt to use the votemenu, I will type in console: sm_gag/mute "#steamid"

If the player continues to threaten to ban the guy after the gag/mute has expired. Ex. threats in chat/mic. I will type in console: sm_ban "#steamid" 1440 “continuous threats/attempts to voteban” If the player has any negative history on the Skial servers, like exploiting or racism, time of ban will be changed accordingly.

If the guy being threatened is banned, I will type in console: sm_unban “steamid” "false voteban" or unban him via SourceBans.

If the banned player attempts for an appeal, I will use my presence in the server, followed by server chat logs and any other evidence to counteract his appeal

Astir

Legendary Skial King
  1. Type status in console to retrieve the necessary data.
  2. Which command will you use to punish the player that called a voteban? You didn't specify any length or reason.
  3. sm_silence = sm_gag + sm_mute
You have the right idea of how to solve the problem.

A few more tips:
  1. sm_un[silence/mute/gag/ban] doesn't work on console-issued restrictions. You will have to do it through SourceBans
  2. Keep /csay as short and clear as possible. It isn't there that long to read a whole sentence properly (for non-native English speakers)

Ergoman

Uncharitable Spy
The only commands I know for sure are on the Admin Discussion page. It doesn't specifically say the command to sm_silence. Some of the other commands not listed that I know, are things I have seen around the server/forums etc.
  1. Keep /csay as short and clear as possible. It isn't there that long to read a whole sentence properly (for non-native English speakers)

I needed something that would get the message across to the person to indicate what he is doing wrong while implementing a strict policy on rules, other than just saying "Voteban Abuse is bad. Don't do it."

Ergoman

Uncharitable Spy
Completely forgot to say thank you. So saying it now xD.
Also small update, went from a last checked #305 position to a #175 position on Skial Stats

(#R0M3) TheMdog08

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I have known Ergo since about a week after I got TF2. He helped me grow into the player I am now via advice about the community, game, trading etc. His help, my only help, was substantial enough to get me into the TF2 community. I have seen him play on the US Hale Server, other than being a boss, he is respected by everyone because of his regular status and his all around ability to be nice and if someone is not doing something right, telling them it is a violation and it can be reported and to please stop.

+1

sov

Legendary Skial King
You seem alright and you have good connection time but there are a couple things in your chat that don't look good.

1. Calling people "fggt"
2. Some pages of all caps nonsense.
3. I don't appreciate you telling donators that they have "too much money"
934a8c0e900e6b2ee5eb6b107f3c673e.png

None of this stuff is too bad but it looks immature. There are also instances of you calling people douchebags or telling people to fuck off, stfu, etc. I don't really care about that though because they were probably being dumb.

This type of situation doesn't happen very often, but it does happen from time to time. They would threaten a vote but they wouldn't go with it or be advised not to. If they did however, first, I would tell the ones behind it, the people saying "We need a Heavy Rush and we will ban you if you are not one!" I would tell them that not becoming a certain class is not a banable offense, while voteban abuse/spam is. Some people on the server would know that banning people for not playing a class is stupid, and would vote no when the vote comes up. I would vote no as well to counteract it. If enough no's pop up, then it will be counteracted. If I know beforehand that they would activate a vote, I would attempt to use a vote cancel. ex. Voting to Slay an already dead person or myself in order make the /votemenu be on cool-down.
In the very cases, where the person DID get banned, I would defend his case if he tried to appeal to the Skial Forums.
I saw the first quote and thought, -1 but after reading that second quote, i willg ive you a +0 for now, will update later when I decide if I change my mind.

mike-kirby

Positively Inhumane Poster
+1 Kind guy who doen't get angry (atleast I haven't seen him angry) and knows what to do in odd situations.

Ergoman

Uncharitable Spy
I know this is a kinda of a weird bump situation. But I have come to a conclusion.

Due to the recent problems and real life situations coming, I don't think being an admin right now for me would be the wisest choice. I believe one of the requirements of being an admin is to be on Skial Servers at all times or at least very often. I simple would not have time with the things coming up in store for me.

So I wish to retract this application for right now. Doesn't mean that I won't stop playing on Skial Servers. I just wish to apply at a later time. Thanks for reading.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
You don't have to play on Skial 24/7 the main thing is being able to do reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.