kerpkek

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
There's an exploit involving +use on the triple elevators that causes them to stop moving and makes the map impossible to complete, and it seems to crash the server pretty frequently (it crashed last night). There are a lot of people doing it and sharing the method of how to do it openly right now and it's pretty annoying. Please consider removing it from rotation for now or at least replacing it with a different version of the map

edit: we're now on dr_pirate adventure and they're now doing it to freeze moving platforms on that map as well. It might be better to just remove the ability to activate +use completely, if at all possible

Last edited:

kerpkek

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
that's perfect, thanks. I posted about removing the map initially because I thought it was limited to just that one. I wouldn't want to see a bunch of maps removed either.

Skull1

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Master Mapper
Thanks to who exposed that, +use was a great feature for activing traps much faster. What you could try is Bottiger making a config for each exploitable map named <mapname>.cfg in this case dr_cocainum.cfg and inside it tf_allow_player_use 0, put it inside the main config folder and this would only disable +use on that map, same for pirate adventure, note that this doesn't requare the plugin Source: Stripper.

Last edited:

111112oo

Mildly Menacing Medic
I will disable use instead of removing a bunch of maps.
Why disable it for the whole server when you can do it by map by simply putting "tf_allow_player_use 0" in a .cfg file with the maps name placed in the main TF2 config folder. This aint hard and takes 10 seconds.

Bottiger

Administrator
Why disable it for the whole server when you can do it by map by simply putting "tf_allow_player_use 0" in a .cfg file with the maps name placed in the main TF2 config folder. This aint hard and takes 10 seconds.

Because it could be abused on an unknown number of maps?

Skull1

Master Mapper
Because it could be abused on an unknown number of maps?
Not really since skial has few maps it is easy to list them. And all you have to do is just change name of the config for each one. Currently the maps that has +use abuseable are, dr_pauseahead, dr(_baby)_pirate_adventure, dr_cocainum

Bottiger

Administrator
Not really since skial has few maps it is easy to list them. And all you have to do is just change name of the config for each one. Currently the maps that has +use abuseable are, dr_pauseahead, dr(_baby)_pirate_adventure, dr_cocainum

And what if there are maps you can abuse it on that you don't know about? What if we add a new map?

Bottiger

Administrator
Well you can just copy the old one and rename it in under few seconds.

Well my point is that it affects so many maps, a new map we add will probably have the same problem, and we should disable the command to prevent the server from crashing instead of waiting for people to crash the server first and then blocking it from that specific map.

Skull1

Master Mapper
Well my point is that it affects so many maps, a new map we add will probably have the same problem, and we should disable the command to prevent the server from crashing instead of waiting for people to crash the server first and then blocking it from that specific map.
Pretty sure it should never cause server to crash, just to abuse platforms. Crash might be related to something else since all +use does it control the platform you are standing in since a lot of mappers alpready disable +use on moveable platforms.

Bottiger

Administrator
Nope our servers has crashed multiple times from this. I tried patching the server code to stop crashing but I don't know if it works, and it won't stop people from freezing platforms.

Xantam

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
What annoys me more is if this is such a problem where are the player reports? I’m a DR frequenter and I haven’t seen this or been alerted to it.

Skull1

Master Mapper
Nope our servers has crashed multiple times from this. I tried patching the server code to stop crashing but I don't know if it works, and it won't stop people from freezing platforms.
Are you sure it's related to the crash? If so, crashes should stop after disabling the +use then on that map if that's the cause. But if it's still crashing it's not related to that.

Prismo

Contributor
What annoys me more is if this is such a problem where are the player reports? I’m a DR frequenter and I haven’t seen this or been alerted to it.
There's more abusers than there are reporters, sadly. When they present the exploit to the server, they often encourage others to follow it. It's extremely common on the US servers.

Bottiger

Administrator
Are you sure it's related to the crash? If so, crashes should stop after disabling the +use then on that map if that's the cause. But if it's still crashing it's not related to that.

Yes I am sure. It started happening a lot and I saw people complaining in chat about everyone doing some weird exploit. Once I disabled use, the crashes stopped happening.

Bottiger

Administrator
i don't think the crashes are related to +use at all, they happen randomly

I am almost 100% sure it is related to use. Deathrun only has 2 different crashes recently and they both had unique signatures that look different.
  1. Too many entities, which happens randomly on dr_home_sweet_home_v4_skial and safety first. And happened every time on marioparty.
  2. Another crash that happens at CBasePlayer::HandleFuncTrain which sounds related to platforms. After disabling use, this one has completely disappeared.

Skull1

Master Mapper
I am almost 100% sure it is related to use. Deathrun only has 2 different crashes recently and they both had unique signatures that look different.

1. Too many entities, which happens randomly on dr_home_sweet_home_v4_skial and safety first. And happened every time on marioparty.
    Another crash that happens at CBasePlayer::HandleFuncTrain which sounds related to platforms. After disabling use, this one has completely disappeared.
Second one looks related, very strange. But my last word will be just disable +use on that maps, I know you are scared if there is a map you didn't know that had the exploit crashing server but +use is a great feature for trap activators, so I would appriciate if you could just disable it on thoose maps.