Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So I have been having this problem sense yesterday. All of my programs don't tend to run very long and stop responding, or they run very slow and then stop responding and wont come back responding. At this point my PC has been running snow for no reason, I don't have any viruses or malware thats making it slow.

I'm ready to just reset my computer but I would like to get any input to anyone who has any idea of whats going on.

GeForce GTX 660
Windows 7 64 bit
AMD Phenom II X4 995 Processor.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Eh. When I had a similar issue just re-installing my graphic drivers fixed it. If that doesn't help I'd just reboot the pc to factory conditions.

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Have you checked out your Resource Monitor to see if something is hogging resources? Open your Start Menu and type "Resource Monitor" into the search box to find it. Check in the CPU tab and in the Memory tab to see if you have any culprits.

If you want to know what a particular process does, simply right click it and hit Search Online to find out.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Have you checked out your Resource Monitor to see if something is hogging resources? Open your Start Menu and type "Resource Monitor" into the search box to find it. Check in the CPU tab and in the Memory tab to see if you have any culprits.

If you want to know what a particular process does, simply right click it and hit Search Online to find out.
This is what I see. Im ok when it comes to tec but I dont know much about this stuff really, so don't fully know what im looking at/for.
262pm50.jpg

24pwchz.jpg

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Looks like you are maxing out your CPU. That would most definitely cause a significant slowdown. I mean, sitting at 80%.... What all are you running when you took this screenshot? Have you tried closing down Starbound? My guess would be its coming from that game. Do you have the issues when Starbound isn't running?

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Looks like you are maxing out your CPU. That would most definitely cause a significant slowdown. I mean, sitting at 80%.... What all are you running when you took this screenshot? Have you tried closing down Starbound? My guess would be its coming from that game. Do you have the issues when Starbound isn't running?
I have had this problem sense yesterday, starbound was not causing it. One thing that happened yesterday is I got the blue screen of death when turning on my computer. I normally put my computer to sleep at night, and most of the time I don't have problems turning it on but it was the first time I got the blue screen when it turned on. My pc is custom built so theres room for alot of error but I don't tend to have much if any problems with it, and the problems I do get tend to be easily solved. It runs slow even if not much is running at all.

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I have had this problem sense yesterday, starbound was not causing it. One thing that happened yesterday is I got the blue screen of death when turning on my computer. I normally put my computer to sleep at night, and most of the time I don't have problems turning it on but it was the first time I got the blue screen when it turned on. My pc is custom built so theres room for alot of error but I don't tend to have much if any problems with it, and the problems I do get tend to be easily solved. It runs slow even if not much is running at all.
Have you updated your video card recently? Or Windows update?

(Agreed that AV can also cause this kind of stuff)

Shula

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
There are a lot of threads about Comodo maxing out cpu's. I'd drop it.

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Ok, well it could be one of those 2 things. Try easiest fix first. Try uninstalling Comodo. If you want a free firewall/AV, Microsoft offers it for anyone with Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

If that doesn't work, you could try rolling back your Windows Updates and Graphics driver.
I'll try getting rid of Comodo and see how it goes. I did update that very recently and when I did, it did lag badly. Ill see how it goes.

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
To roll back a driver:
1) Open Start Menu
2) Type Device Manager into search box
3) Find your graphics card under Display Adapters
4) Right Click it and goto Properties
5) Click Driver Tab
6) Select Roll Back Driver

To Roll back Windows Updates just use System Restore

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Also, wouldn't security essentials conflict with Avast?
Yes. Only ever use ONE antivirus at a time. I never liked Avast myself. Id rather Security Essentials and the built in Windows Firewall if I'm going free route.

You had Avast too? That could have been conflicting with Comodo.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yes. Only ever use ONE antivirus at a time. I never liked Avast myself. Id rather Security Essentials and the built in Windows Defender firewall if I'm going free route.

You had Avast too? That could have been conflicting with Comodo.
I never had a problem with Avast and comodo together tel I updated Comodo. Im probobly gunna get rid of both because I'm not a fan of Avast ither. It takes way to long to scan, it does the job but not really efficiently, and Malware bites has always served well, so Ill give MSE a try.

Reactions: Genocide

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I never had a problem with Avast and comodo together tel I updated Comodo. Im probobly gunna get rid of both because I'm not a fan of Avast ither. It takes way to long to scan really, and Malware bites has always served well, so Ill give MSE a try.
Sometimes firewall programs forget to turn Windows Firewall back on after you remove them, so don't forget to check and make sure its turned back on when you go the MSE route (Although usually you get that little Action Center icon nagging thing going to remind you lol).

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Sometimes firewall programs forget to turn Windows Firewall back on after you remove them, so don't forget to check and make sure its turned back on when you go the MSE route (Although usually you get that little Action Center icon nagging thing going to remind you lol).
I'll keep that in mind and try MSE out, thanks guys.

Reactions: Genocide