185db

Epic Skial Regular
So, my Firefox has been acting very odd ever since I got the computer back in about November. Firefox randomly opens to some add website, usually a dating add, landscaping or something similar. It only happens when my computer has been sitting there doing nothing for about 5 minutes, and no other applications are open. I have checked all my programs, plug-ins, extenstion, but there is nothing out of the ordinary and I have gotten rid of pretty much everything. The browser just opens, and some very distracting add appears on the page. I do not go to pages like this ever, so I have no explanation for these particular adds.

No, don't tell me to use Chrome or internet explorer.

Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So, my Firefox has been acting very odd ever since I got the computer back in about November. Firefox randomly opens to some add website, usually a dating add, landscaping or something similar. It only happens when my computer has been sitting there doing nothing for about 5 minutes, and no other applications are open. I have checked all my programs, plug-ins, extenstion, but there is nothing out of the ordinary and I have gotten rid of pretty much everything. The browser just opens, and some very distracting add appears on the page. I do not go to pages like this ever, so I have no explanation for these particular adds.

No, don't tell me to use Chrome or internet explorer.

Probably adware or malware.

Check your programs to see anything fishy, check your files and also check your settings. If anything doesn't seem right, remove it.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Probably adware or malware.

Check your programs to see anything fishy, check your files and also check your settings. If anything doesn't seem right, remove it.
I have. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I had this problem even before I had any programs installed.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I have. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I had this problem even before I had any programs installed.
Re-install Firefox if you're 100% sure you have no adware. If that doesn't work try Waterfox *64-bit version of Firefox*

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Lol then don't ask for help if you aren't going to listen
I was simply stating I do not feel safe downloading a free anti-virus off the internet. That is all. I already re-installed firefox like cr33p3r said and I will get back to you guys to see if that worked. I am sorry if I came off as rude or unappreciative, it was not intended that way.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
You came off as dumb not rude. There is nothing unsafe about downloading spybot unless you go to imdumbgivemeavirus.com

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If Zebra is talking about Spybot search and destroy, sadly its not as good as it used to be in my experience. I would not really recommend it. I use it for my laptop but even then It's just in the way alot. For me, a program scanning my whole computer in a few seconds does not really scream quality. Not saying its not doing its job because far as I know it is. Just when I used to use it before it got modernized it, took a while but did a clean job.

Thats just from my experience really.

But anyway saying "i wont install a free anti-virus" is dumb. Malwarebytes is free and amazing. Microsoft security is not that bad also, and its free. If you think paid means its better then you're dead wrong.

Last edited:

185db

Epic Skial Regular
I already have McAffee which I have paid for, and I do not need another one. I do not like downloading free things because more often then not it comes in a "package" and you have to go uninstall all the plugins and "promotions" that come with it. That is just my experience with things like this. I am not saying my program is better because it is paid, but it is just already downloaded and I know for sure that it is a reputable company.

I have under 10 programs that are not necessary to the full functionality of my pc. I just can't stand having excess programs doing things that I already can do

Reactions: Defibyoulater

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I already have McAffee which I have paid for, and I do not need another one. I do not like downloading free things because more often then not it comes in a "package" and you have to go uninstall all the plugins and "promotions" that come with it. That is just my experience with things like this. I am not saying my program is better because it is paid, but it is just already downloaded and I know for sure that it is a reputable company.

I have under 10 programs that are not necessary to the full functionality of my pc. I just can't stand having excess programs doing things that I already can do
Malwarebytes isn't meant to replace an antivirus, it's meant to be used side-by-side with one, it's really good at getting rid of bad shit on your pc. I seriously recommend you use it with your antivirus.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Malwarebytes isn't meant to replace an antivirus, it's meant to be used side-by-side with one, it's really good at getting rid of bad shit on your pc. I seriously recommend you use it with your antivirus.
Alright I will look into it. Same with spybot.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
McAfee is terrible I feel sorry that you paid for it.

Just because you download Spybot doesn't mean you have to have it running. It specializes in removing Adware, which is what I am pretty sure you have. Malwarebytes is better for removing malware. I have had Spybot pick up things malwarebytes couldn't and vice versa. None of them even offen live protection unless you pay for it.

But by all means, keep using your paid version of McAfee that worked so well. I just don't understand why you would ask for help then not do it.

Last edited:

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Arguing about anti-virus aside, I really do not think it is malware or anything of the sort. I run full scans every week and check my list of installed programs and plugins just as often. Thing is, only Firefox has this problem, and I have both Chrome and Internet Explorer installed and they never randomly open, making me believe it is an issue with the browser itself. Like I said, I will get back to you on whether or not re-installing it worked. I will continue to search for an answer, and all input is appreciated. I was hoping that someone here had a similar problem but I guess not.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
Thing is, only Firefox has this problem, and I have both Chrome and Internet Explorer installed and they never randomly open, making me believe it is an issue with the browser itself.
is Firefox your system's default browser? if so, it's something else loading pages

185db

Epic Skial Regular
is Firefox your system's default browser? if so, it's something else loading pages
I am not exactly sure what you mean by system. My computer came with Internet explorer as the default, but I have since downloaded and changed the setting to Firefox. I had Internet Explorer as default for a couple months and it never opened randomly. Forgive me, but are you implying that it is indeed something on the computer itself, and not a problem with the browser? As you can probably tell, I am not the best with computers, especially windows. This is why I am so cautious about downloading things.

Last edited: