Devin64156

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
From looking through the report forms and reporting players and trying to record a demo or get proof for the report just a tole on your response time and some times some people might forget to record a demo for the in game chat or mic spam. Using some of my experience as a security provider for my lake community i think i have come up with a way that might improve skial admin and player response and report time. Now what i am thinking is what might be good for the servers is if you had Something like an in game camera the records audio and the names of the people talking. This camera would be placed in the center of the map or the most trafficked part of the map in the very top corner to peer down upon the players.

I'm going to give you an example of what I'm talking about. If you go to spectate and you press space until you have full control of the camera and take it to the most trafficked part of the map dose not matter where but it also might help if it was there and you put it in the top of any corner and let it sit there and watch the players. If you look to the left you can see the kills and the chat so if some one was mic spamming or being racist over the mic that one camera would record the players voice and name which will be displayed to the right side of the screen.

Now what you would have players do is give you the server ip the persons steam id and the time of the spamming or miss conduct and tell if it was voice chat you would send one of you admins to the server to see if its still going on and you would have another go to the exact time and map footage and review it. If they see the name of the player or heard the voice of the player they could then judge if its true or not or administer what ban or mute that needs to be done.

Now I know the question is going to pop up that the cameras will take too much room on the servers memory. Well if you have the cameras set to delete the recorded info after every 1hour and 30min or so then it Would save space and keep the cameras up and running another question would be is that still a replay mode and if it is it will lag the server well no. It is only for admins to review and it is not something that records every single detail that people want in a replay.

The whole idea to this is some people get away with things and there is a lack in strictness in the servers. The whole goal of this is to keep a firm security stand point on the servers and to keep players happy with the skial community which there for might bring in more people to the community.

HowIMetYourMother

Australian Skial God
Contributor
i don't think something like this is possible without losing a server slot. And where would we store the info. Apart from the fact it will slow down everything

Devin64156

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
i don't think something like this is possible without losing a server slot. And where would we store the info. Apart from the fact it will slow down everything
You guys think I'm crazy but i have seen these server cameras in action. Im going to get you a video link when i get home but these work. they have low server strain and they are easy to upkeep. Now the memory thing will be an issue but i would recommend a program called sky drive. I don't remember how much storage you get a year but its $50 a year which is very low compared to any thing else.

HowIMetYourMother

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm not saying your crazy, but i think the way we handle reports are quit efficient. And i don't think it's possible to make it the way you are saying without a hole lot of changes.
But link up the vid anyway

Devin64156

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I'm not saying your crazy, but i think the way we handle reports are quit efficient. And i don't think it's possible to make it the way you are saying without a hole lot of changes.
But link up the vid anyway
I love the way the community keeps track of players and i think it needs a small update to make sure no one gets by. i think there should be a beta test for this by finding a server that has 0 players and then installing the camera and starting an event to see how that server handles.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
First off, we have 100+ servers. This would take up so much memory.

Deleting the recorded video after every hour would completely void the use of even having this.

There is no way to set up a server camera the way you are thinking of anyway. It does not exist, at least not for tf2. The best thing you have is sourcetv. and bottiger already said no to that.

and to hell to spending my free time watching over recorded videos that may or may not have anything bad in it.

We have the report system, vote system, chat logs, demos, screenshots and bottiger has server logs if it comes down to it. We don't need this magical camera. And it would be a waste of everyone time to have it.

Devin64156

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
First off, we have 100+ servers. This would take up so much memory.

Deleting the recorded video after every hour would completely void the use of even having this.

There is no way to set up a server camera the way you are thinking of anyway. It does not exist, at least not for tf2. The best thing you have is sourcetv. and bottiger already said no to that.

and to hell to spending my free time watching over recorded videos that may or may not have anything bad in it.

We have the report system, vote system, chat logs, demos, screenshots and bottiger has server logs if it comes down to it. We don't need this magical camera. And it would be a waste of everyone time to have it.
(In a joking manner) There is no need to be but hurt about it this is just a suggestion thread and i have stated i love the way the reports are going so I'm not knocking it I'm just trying to bring up a good idea. Rome was not built on a close minded plan.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah what Zebra said, it's just not practical. And the infrastructure required isn't worth the few people who get a away with stuff from time to time...

Toxik

Contributor
It's an interesting concept, but I don't think we need it right now. Though a lot of offenders do get through our security net, if players get offended, they can report him or get him temp banned, I think that's enough for now. Our admins are capable, if they see that one person has 3 bans for the same offense, they will lengthen the ban up to a perma unless the offender learns his lesson.
We rarely lack proof for accusations, unless it's for scams but that's a completely different matter and these cameras wouldn't help in that situation.
Thanks for the suggestion though, it was pretty interesting