Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Anyone interested in a preconfigured VM with tf2 already downloaded?

You'd need to install vmware player to run it. The file is around 12.2GB or so.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
On the off chance someone is interested, [link removed]

Extract the contents, open VMware player, click Player (top left) > File > Open > choose "Ubuntu.ovf". After it's done setting everything up if you want to change the allocated ram or cpu cores, you can right click the VM name on the list and choose settings.

Has TF2, vmware openGL, and steam all predownloaded and installed.

Username: james Password: james

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Will TF2 actually run in VM? I was going to try this (without already having TF2 downloaded) but read that TF2 needs OpenGL to run and you can't get that in VM. Then I was going to try text mode, but Ruelel said Linux version doesn't have text mode.

I think it might be easier to have my friend with Linux log in to my account from his machine.

I think Valve is laughing their asses off at the hoops they can get us to jump through.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Will TF2 actually run in VM? I was going to try this (without already having TF2 downloaded) but read that TF2 needs OpenGL to run and you can't get that in VM. Then I was going to try text mode, but Ruelel said Linux version doesn't have text mode.

I think it might be easier to have my friend with Linux log in to my account from his machine.

I think Valve is laughing their asses off at the hoops they can get us to jump through.

downloading the file now.
i post here when it worked (or not)
Should work, I made it for myself then just packaged it into .ovf format, tested it on my setup with vmware player as well. Had to compile the vmware opengl drivers to get it to work. The trouble I went through to get it all setup is the only reason I uploaded it for others. (If it was super easy I wouldn't have bothered)

Should note, the game will close/crash right after the loading video. But it's enough to get the promo item.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The .ovf file along with the virtual drive. It's three files so I had to zip it for one download.

VR97Elk.png

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor

Actually they're wanting people to switch, it's not ONLY a temporary thing to just get a fucking item. Why are you people treating it like that? Linux is supposed to be either a replacement or an alternative to Windows. I'll be laughing my ass off at those who didn't even bother with Linux just to get that item and failed to do so. It's that or just follow my directions in technology dammit.

Did people do the same shit for the Mac OSX stuff? I don't recall as far as I remember. In fact, there were dumbasses that made a script that would ONLY allow Windows players to play on their servers!

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Actually they're wanting people to switch, it's not ONLY a temporary thing to just get a fucking item. Why are you people treating it like that? Linux is supposed to be either a replacement or an alternative to Windows. I'll be laughing my ass off at those who didn't even bother with Linux just to get that item and failed to do so. It's that or just follow my directions in technology dammit.

Did people do the same shit for the Mac OSX stuff? I don't recall as far as I remember. In fact, there were dumbasses that made a script that would ONLY allow Windows players to play on their servers!
It's a lot easier to get Linux up in VM and then just trash it than OS X. Also, people generally use what's preinstalled with their machines. If they have OS X, they use it. If they have WIndows, they use that. You have to go out of your way to find a prebuilt Linux machine in a Best Buy. Also, no matter how hard they try, I still usually have to go to the command line for SOMETHING when I install Ubuntu or any other distro. For instance, when I installed Steam, I had two missing packages and it threw me into a command line to type Y. Granted I don't care, but there's a lot of text that's starts flinging around the screen people are going to get uneasy. I still enjoy Linux for it's power, but god help me if I installed it on my parents machine. They'll be wondering why all the stuff they used to do works different now.

Zombie(NL)

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Download is finished.
In the mean time i installed VMware Player 5.0 and used the top one: VMware Player for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit
Or i forget something, or id did something wrong, but i think ubuntu don't start completly.
Here are screenshots from my settings, booting, and when the loading stops:

http://minus.com/mb2uUOkfWxdVHq

Joeman

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Im trying this a different way, because Zombie says he is having trouble. So, I am going to install Ubuntu from the Ubuntu ISO, then copy the GCF files over onto the new system.

I will report back on how it goes. :challenge:

Zombie(NL)

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
i got the image to work!
this is what i changed:

in the settings i removed the USB Controller, and resized the harddisk to 60 GB
during the next boot i pressed F2 for boot options, and pick "Advanced options for Ubuntu"
then i choose "Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-23-generic"
then you need to login at the admin (only account)

starting steam, no problem. you only need to verify it's you login in from another pc
when you start tf2, it loads for a few secs, with black screen, and then it quits. no errors message.

but when you look in your bp after it, you got your Tux

my bp http://backpack.tf/id/zombienl#page21
some screenshots
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=127428118
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=127431618
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=127431645
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=127431676

so long story short, i works good enough to get the Tux, but i cant play, or idle on ubuntu