sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm a dumbass. The computer @RMSniper linked comes with Win10. Oops. Which by the way, just recently came back in stock.

Anyway, I think this thread has finally achieved it's purpose. I'll update you guys when I make the purchase in about 11 months.

Bewbies

Mildly Menacing Medic
11 months.... Trust me, you will find better options at that point. You'll be doing this exercise all over again. :)

Are you interested in maybe learning more about computers in that time? Get comfortable enough to build one yourself? Maybe even get into the industry....?

Reactions: RMSniper

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Hell, if this ain't goin' down for the next 11 months, then wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday so you can score an even better deal. ;)

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
11 months.... Trust me, you will find better options at that point. You'll be doing this exercise all over again. :)

Are you interested in maybe learning more about computers in that time? Get comfortable enough to build one yourself? Maybe even get into the industry....?
11 months is just the safest bet, I'm hoping I run into some more money by then. I also plan on getting a job 6 months in, so that'll certainly speed things up. I'd love to learn more and start building my own, getting into the industry is a possibility. I'll take any information you feel like sharing.

Hell, if this ain't goin' down for the next 11 months, then wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday so you can score an even better deal. ;)
That's actually something I didn't consider. That'll certainly be helpful.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
@sboles
  1. Click Here, click on "Customize & Buy"
  2. Under Memory, select 16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM (+$50)
  3. Under Graphics Card, select 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (+$280)
  4. Under Power Supply, select 500W Power supply (+$30)
  5. Under Networking, select HP Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 1x1 w/ Bluetooth M.2 NIC (Stone Peak 1) (+$12)
  6. Add to Cart (pre-coupon total will be $1,171.99)
  7. In cart, apply coupon code HPDESKTOPS
  8. Total should be $925.39 with free shipping

09CBupd.jpg

Reactions: sboles

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
@sboles

1. Click Here, click on "Customize & Buy"
    Under Memory, select 16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM (+$50)
    Under Graphics Card, select 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (+$280)
    Under Power Supply, select 500W Power supply (+$30)
    Under Networking, select HP Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 1x1 w/ Bluetooth M.2 NIC (Stone Peak 1) (+$12)
    Add to Cart (pre-coupon total will be $1,171.99)
    In cart, apply coupon code HPDESKTOPS
    Total should be $925.39 with free shipping

09CBupd.jpg
How is this improved over the Dell from Newegg?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
How is this improved over the Dell from Newegg?

1. HDD.. 2TB vs 1TB
2. GPU: GTX 970 vs GTX 745..

For $45 extra I would take GTX970 over any other card in no time. The only card better than 970 is 980. And 980 is top of the line at the moment.

Regular price for GTX 970 is around $350.. For GTX 745 - about $100... You do the math.

In one simple sentence: You are getting TWICE as much hard disk space and EXTREMELY powerful video card. And all that for just an extra $45.

The only problem is this is a limited time offer. Once coupon code expires the price will go back to $1,170.

Reactions: Chance and Shula

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Hey-o. Opening this thread again. Everything I said previously still stands (Programs I need + price). I just bumped this thread for convenience, but if I should make a new thread to remove clutter I will.

If I remember correctly, I had settled on this Dell PC from new egg. But that was a year ago (and it is currently out of stock)! If the new Macbook wasn't actually a pile of garbage I probably would've gotten that.

Do any of my more technologically inclined friends have any updated recommendations for me? I'll be heading to Best Buy today to window shop, I'll post my findings here as well.

• Dumb
Reactions: Nirnoxic

Slip

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
If you're still not up for building yourself, Micro Center has some pretty good pre-builts

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Just throwing this out there.

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16834154299

If you've got the money this will definitely be worth it, took up external mouse and keyboard, invest in two decent monitors and you're good. Due to the fact it is a laptop it also works for travel.

I know personally the other thing I would look at is a top of the end Surface Book; but again - this is a laptop, since I go between my office and home and use laptops.

Mr. Socko

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
My suggestion would be don't go for any older gen products. Must have would be SSD(Samsung SSD recommended), which would make a huge difference in loading up the computer and the programs you would be using. In graphics department don't get anything other than the Nvida 1000 series like 1050, 1050 ti, 1060, 1070 or 1080 while from Amd would be RX series like 460,470 and 480. RAM Should be DDR4 so you would future proof yourself.

Last edited:

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of talk about him choosing a 720rpm HDD over an SSD. Is the difference in read/write speed that small? I went from a much slower HDD to an SSD so it felt like leaps and bounds to me when I import clips or export a movie file. It didn't sound like he needs much space, either.