Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
It overheats like everyday. It goes up to about 46-50C if I've used it for more than one half hour (and even when I stop it still hovers at about 35C for a very long time). It's not even the battery getting hot, the part by the camera is the part getting hot. Looking at energy consumption the things that take up most consumption is the screen and Chrome, ~60% with the screen and ~30% with Chrome. Rest is down at <2%. Would be nice if I didn't have to replace the bloody phone.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
There's not typically much you can do, at the most you could drill a few small holes in the case, which no one would really want to do.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I just remembered, if you're okay with decreased performance and possibly rooting your phone, you can underclock the cpu and/or try lowering the voltage. This would likely decrease heat.

๖ۣۜZaldarius

Gore-Spattered Heavy
is the battery draining quickly?
have you checked your memory load on the phone?
are all unnecessary tasks killed (with advanced task killer or something similar)
latest firmware for the phone installed?
Is your WIFI signal constantly connected (builds heat incredibly quickly on android devices)
details details details, cannot make bricks without clay

EDIT: stumbled across an article that was blaming the GPS chip constantly searching for signal (which i believe is near the camera in your phone) for the overheating, it may be unable to find signal and thus refreshing itself and reboradcasting to attempt to find signal (unrelated to your data/3g/4g/phone signal) which will build up heat

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Not suggested. Could brick the phone.

Only if you don't know what you're doing, and even then you're unlikely to brick it.

are all unnecessary tasks killed (with advanced task killer or something similar)
Is your WIFI signal constantly connected (builds heat incredibly quickly on android devices)
details details details, cannot make bricks without clay

EDIT: stumbled across an article that was blaming the GPS chip constantly searching for signal (which i believe is near the camera in your phone) for the overheating, it may be unable to find signal and thus refreshing itself and reboradcasting to attempt to find signal (unrelated to your data/3g/4g/phone signal) which will build up heat

Task killers are a waste. The edit seems useful though.

๖ۣۜZaldarius

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Task killers are a waste. The edit seems useful though.
not on a multicore cpu phone with no way to vent its heat, clogging it needlessly can and will build up excess heat and overheat his phone, while that may not be the cause, it will at least help to narrow down what exactly is causing the problem

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
not on a multicore cpu phone with no way to vent its heat, clogging it needlessly can and will build up excess heat and overheat his phone
All phones now are multicore phones with no way to vent heat.

"... it's actually possible that this will worsen your phone's performance and battery life. Whether you're manually killing apps all the time or telling the task killer to aggressively remove apps from your memory, you're actually using CPU cycles when you otherwise wouldn't—killing apps that aren't doing anything in the first place.
In fact, some of the processes related to those apps will actually start right back up, further draining your CPU. If they don't, killing those processes can cause other sorts of problems—alarms don't go off, you don't receive text messages, or other related apps may force close without warning. All in all, you're usually better off letting your phone work as intended—especially if you're more of a casual user."
Source: http://lifehacker.com/5650894/andro...ed-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
To about 80% in one hour with relatively constant use, I guess yes.
Where do I do that?
Yes.
Yes.
Not in school.
stumbled across an article that was blaming the GPS chip constantly searching for signal (which i believe is near the camera in your phone) for the overheating, it may be unable to find signal and thus refreshing itself and reboradcasting to attempt to find signal (unrelated to your data/3g/4g/phone signal) which will build up heat
I've turned off the GPS, is Google Maps just starting automatically whenever I turn on my phone?

๖ۣۜZaldarius

Gore-Spattered Heavy
im well aware of what they do and how they work, killing apps that will auto restart is not killing apps that are running needlessly, and if they are running in the background and he would not otherwise be using it for any reason, and it is not vital to the OS, or will automatically restart upon being terminated there is absolutely no reason to keep it idiling away in the background.
and also, no all phones are not multicore yet, plenty of lower end 3g's still being produced that are single core

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
im well aware of what they do and how they work, killing apps that will auto restart is not killing apps that are running needlessly, and if they are running in the background and he would not otherwise be using it for any reason, and it is not vital to the OS, or will automatically restart upon being terminated there is absolutely no reason to keep it idiling away in the background.
and also, no all phones are not multicore yet, plenty of lower end 3g's still being produced that are single core
There's no need to kill apps that are in the background because they're typically not doing anything. It's safe to say that a majority of android powered devices currently on the market are multicore.

P Lash

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Weird. Speaking of which, why DOES a phone overheat?
My S2's never overheated, though I have been using it since March 2011.

JohnnyGaloshes

Banned
Contributor
Gingerbread.

Then that IS odd. ICS was notorious for overheating, i actually flashed mine back to Gingerbread after i found ICS to be doing your exact symptoms.

I had a SII and it never overheated, perhaps it's a internal problem. I suggest you shut down all apps and just let it sit in the desk, if it gets hot then it's internal.

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
Then that IS odd. ICS was notorious for overheating, i actually flashed mine back to Gingerbread after i found ICS to be doing your exact symptoms.

I had a SII and it never overheated, perhaps it's a internal problem. I suggest you shut down all apps and just let it sit in the desk, if it gets hot then it's internal.
I did update to 4.0.3 recently, but ICS is not included with that. Might that be the problem?

JohnnyGaloshes

Banned
Contributor
That is ICS.

ICS is having a lot of problems with overheating and battery drainage. ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) should never have been released. Do you know how to flash and use Odin to revert it to Gingerbread? I personally would revert it.

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
That is ICS.

ICS is having a lot of problems with overheating and battery drainage. ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) should never have been released. Do you know how to flash and use Odin to revert it to Gingerbread? I personally would revert it.
Don't know how, but I'll figure it out later in that case, thanks.