hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
Also, is it the actual phone or the battery? If you're unsure, you should check. An overheating battery is the sign of a defective one and those can sometimes explode. Not to worry you or anything lol. Anyways yeah if the battery is the hottest part of the phone then I would take it to your nearest carrier store to have it checked out.

Also, to mention on task killers - they never work properly and force quit half of the time. If you want an efficient and much better app killer go to the task manager and add anything you don't want running 24/7 to the auto end list. Auto end will close any apps that either A)Have no active window open or B)You lock the screen (Adding Pandora or any other music app is not advisable, it'll close em)

There's no need to kill apps that are in the background because they're typically not doing anything. It's safe to say that a majority of android powered devices currently on the market are multicore.

You're half right about the apps. If they are apps that don't search for data, they aren't doing anything. But some apps are not well designed and will contstantly search for data after they have been closed, sometimes even if they have no need to gather data. The biggest battery drains are Display and GPS/Data.

As long as your phone has data enabled, some app somewhere will be trying to search for data. A neat experiment is to turn off data entirely one day. You'd be amazed on how long your battery lasts.

JohnnyGaloshes

Banned
Contributor
Also, is it the actual phone or the battery? If you're unsure, you should check. An overheating battery is the sign of a defective one and those can sometimes explode. Not to worry you or anything lol. Anyways yeah if the battery is the hottest part of the phone then I would take it to your nearest carrier store to have it checked out.

Also, to mention on task killers - they never work properly and force quit half of the time. If you want an efficient and much better app killer go to the task manager and add anything you don't want running 24/7 to the auto end list. Auto end will close any apps that either A)Have no active window open or B)You lock the screen (Adding Pandora or any other music app is not advisable, it'll close em)

You're half right about the apps. If they are apps that don't search for data, they aren't doing anything. But some apps are not well designed and will contstantly search for data after they have been closed, sometimes even if they have no need to gather data. The biggest battery drains are Display and GPS/Data.

As long as your phone has data enabled, some app somewhere will be trying to search for data. A neat experiment is to turn off data entirely one day. You'd be amazed on how long your battery lasts.

He is right, check the battery first. A shorting/defective battery will run very hot.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
A couple extra questions, but I feel that ICS is mostly to blame here from what others have said. Could also be in part the GPS issue.

1)Is this a newer purchase?
2)Has it sustained any recent exposures with water, sharp falls, etc that may have damaged parts
3)Are the Euro S2s quad core? I know the S3s are. If there's a bug that causes a quad core chip to run near full capacity that would definitely heat things up fast.

Also, the curious thing is that Chrome is draining 30% of your battery. Are you a very active user with Chrome? Like, constantly using it? I never get my Browser app past 10-15%

Tomatketchup

Banned
Contributor
1)Is this a newer purchase?
November 2011.
2)Has it sustained any recent exposures with water, sharp falls, etc that may have damaged parts
Might've, though I've not dropped it since I updated to ICS, and even then it was like half-meter falls out of my jacket pocket.
3)Are the Euro S2s quad core? I know the S3s are. If there's a bug that causes a quad core chip to run near full capacity that would definitely heat things up fast.
Not as far as I'm aware.
Also, the curious thing is that Chrome is draining 30% of your battery. Are you a very active user with Chrome? Like, constantly using it? I never get my Browser app past 10-15%
Constantly use it on my way to school, I also use it a lot on school days when I don't need to bring my laptop, that is tuesday and wednesday. Also, I'm not sure how the percentage use is calculated, but could it not simply be 30% instead of 10-15% because it's the only app that I really run? Everything else with the exception of the screen is beneath 2% usage, as said.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
Constantly use it on my way to school, I also use it a lot on school days when I don't need to bring my laptop, that is tuesday and wednesday. Also, I'm not sure how the percentage use is calculated, but could it not simply be 30% instead of 10-15% because it's the only app that I really run? Everything else with the exception of the screen is beneath 2% usage, as said.
]

Yeah, that's why I asked if you used chrome a lot. Nothing wrong with it being at 30% unless you don't use it a lot then you know something's up.

Either way, yeah it's most likely ICS being shitty then. I would revert it to Gingerbread because I doubt you'll get Jellybean.