Crust

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Reactions: rottiedog46

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
This is made worse by the fact that idling is allowed on the server (only exception being when it's full, but that rarely happens) which makes passing votes near impossible, if not impossible.

BadmanoftheBrine

Banned
Contributor
This could be a bit of a double edged sword. However, if there's a way to exclude people idle for more than 15 minutes or something, I'd like this to be implemented

+1, but only on the context of it being fair and balanced

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor

I agree, in theory. But, the biggest issue is that the lower the votes, the more likely it can be abused.

Reaching 50% isn't completely unreasonable. Especially with the !ignore command, and clientside mute. There are other tools if votemute fails.

I'd rather people need to use those tools instead of someone getting muted for no good reason because it's too easy to pass.

Crust

I agree, in theory. But, the biggest issue is that the lower the votes, the more likely it can be abused.

Reaching 50% isn't completely unreasonable. Especially with the !ignore command, and clientside mute. There are other tools if votemute fails.

I'd rather people need to use those tools instead of someone getting muted for no good reason because it's too easy to pass.

Yeah abuse is one of the main issues with lowering the amount lf votes required.
As for reaching 50%, its almost impossible on at least the US Trade server because a lot of people are afk most of the time, and because of that the vote requirement is almost never met, even when there is someone blatantly mic spamming loud sounds.

Regarding !ignore and client side muting, it's almost never a good idea to do that on a trade server especially if you talk in voice chat (which most traders do), as you could have someone ignored/muted and you could accidentally talk over their advertisement, and you would still be liable for interrupting trade chat. It also causes problems with multiple people talking at the same time.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yeah abuse is one of the main issues with lowering the amount lf votes required.
As for reaching 50%, its almost impossible on at least the US Trade server because a lot of people are afk most of the time, and because of that the vote requirement is almost never met, even when there is someone blatantly mic spamming loud sounds.

Regarding !ignore and client side muting, it's almost never a good idea to do that on a trade server especially if you talk in voice chat (which most traders do), as you could have someone ignored/muted and you could accidentally talk over their advertisement, and you would still be liable for interrupting trade chat. It also causes problems with multiple people talking at the same time.

Perhaps if this suggestion focused entirely on trade, I don't think those who object would.

Mutes are more significant there, and less likely to be abused than in a general server imo.

I don't know if possible to set different vote amounts for different servers though.

Water!

Somewhat Threatening Sniper

You can very easily record and report the people vote abusing lol

• Dumb
Reactions: Sore

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You can very easily record and report the people vote abusing lol

Unless you are recording your entire session, who is to say that vote wasn't merited? maybe I was being abusive over VC?

I'd rather a significant percentage of the server need to find the player annoying. You can very easily clientside or !ignore people being annoying.

(Though in the OP's point, that obviously isn't a good cure for a trade server. But any other server it works just fine, I do it all the time.)

nil.

Mildly Menacing Medic
Unless you are recording your entire session, who is to say that vote wasn't merited? maybe I was being abusive over VC?

I'd rather a significant percentage of the server need to find the player annoying. You can very easily clientside or !ignore people being annoying.

(Though in the OP's point, that obviously isn't a good cure for a trade server. But any other server it works just fine, I do it all the time.)
Excuses like that won't resolve the issue though. Like how would they acknowledge their consequences if they continue to do out every other servers not just trade server itself

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Excuses like that won't resolve the issue though. Like how would they acknowledge their consequences if they continue to do out every other servers not just trade server itself

I wouldn't call a 30 minute votemute a consequence that requires acknowledgment. I have seen someone with the current limitations successfully votemute someone for simply being a child. If it gets easier, stuff like that happens far more often and for very little reward.

nil.

Mildly Menacing Medic
I wouldn't call a 30 minute votemute a consequence that requires acknowledgment. I have seen someone with the current limitations successfully votemute someone for simply being a child. If it gets easier, stuff like that happens far more often and for very little reward.
And !ignore does? People are trying to do their thing & trade, but you jumping the gun that they should consider the other option. And if they vote abusing on a kid for breathing, that's where you report it onto here

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
And !ignore does? People are trying to do their thing & trade, but you jumping the gun that they should consider the other option. And if they vote abusing on a kid for breathing, that's where you report it onto here

Ignore isn't a recorded punishment to someone. A votemute is. And it sometimes factors into Admin mute decisions/appeal decisions.

Crust

Bumping again because this issue just gets worse and worse (trade server specifically, can't say for other Skial servers)