Sir Cakez

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Today on Jailbreak, Chel and I were on when a warden decided it would be fun to play Simone Says. He then proceed to eliminate all but two of the prisoners by using typos like S1mone Says or SImone Says as an excuse to kill people who did what "Simone" said. I have discussed this before with Chel and she agrees that the game should be banned, as it is often used by freekillers as an excuse, and if nothing else often devolves into chaos, with accusations of freekill flying in chat. If Simon Says is not completely banned, at least ban convoluted forms of it such the aforementioned one above.

Sheev_Palpatine

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
+1 It's a popular game, but really bad. Would rather have the entire thing banned but because it's popular I just think bullshit misspellings should be banned, as well as things like "Simon says I'm *insert name here*" Just plain old Simon Says to make things simple.

Nerd

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
+1 Simon says is overall bad and can occasionally get confusing; killing everyone. Also, renaming the reds and then tricking them by using different letters/numbers to give them an order is a bad idea.

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yes, especially since it's contradictory.

"Guard, why'd you kill that red for not jumping? Warden didn't say simon says!"

"My bad. didn't realize we were playing like that."

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
I feel like banning this game would cause more trouble than allowing it. I mean, you guys want to ban something that has been around for a long time. A lot of people would be getting banned for simply not knowing about it. And you can't really blame them for not knowing, nobody reads rules anymore especially after they already know the rules.

If someone is using this as an excuse to kill people, they should be banned for free killing. But we shouldn't ban a popular game because some people use it to freekill.

Sir Cakez

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I feel like banning this game would cause more trouble than allowing it. I mean, you guys want to ban something that has been around for a long time. A lot of people would be getting banned for simply not knowing about it. And you can't really blame them for not knowing, nobody reads rules anymore especially after they already know the rules.

If someone is using this as an excuse to kill people, they should be banned for free killing. But we shouldn't ban a popular game because some people use it to freekill.
So then, ban versions with typos and such and only allow plain Simon Says?

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
I don't understand what is so difficult to understand about this game. If someone doesn't say "Simon Says" than don't do what they ask. If someone says "S1mon says" or "$1nn0n says" then its obvious he is trying to trick people into doing it. I played this game as a kid and understood how to play simon says.

If he does a typo and kills people for not doing it, he should be banned for freekilling. If he does a typo and kills people for doing it than I think thats fine. That is how the game is played.

Examples:
"Simon says Jump"
everyone who doesn't jump gets killed = OKAY
Anyone who jumps and doesn't get killed = OKAY

anyone who jumps and gets killed = NOT OKAY

"S1m0n says Jump"
Anyone who jumped and gets killed = OKAY
Anyone who doesn't jump and gets killed = NOT OKAY
Simon kills people anyway = NOT OKAY

I don't think anything should be changed. Just ban people who are freekilling. Like the rule says

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I don't understand what is so difficult to understand about this game. If someone doesn't say "Simon Says" than don't do what they ask. If someone says "S1mon says" or "$1nn0n says" then its obvious he is trying to trick people into doing it. I played this game as a kid and understood how to play simon says.

If he does a typo and kills people for not doing it, he should be banned for freekilling. If he does a typo and kills people for doing it than I think thats fine. That is how the game is played.

Examples:
"Simon says Jump"
everyone who doesn't jump gets killed = OKAY
Anyone who jumps and doesn't get killed = OKAY

anyone who jumps and gets killed = NOT OKAY

"S1m0n says Jump"
Anyone who jumped and gets killed = OKAY
Anyone who doesn't jump and gets killed = NOT OKAY
Simon kills people anyway = NOT OKAY

I don't think anything should be changed. Just ban people who are freekilling. Like the rule says
You're implying guards are smart, and that the type os are intentional.

How the game should be played is if 'X says', you do it. If you just get a command, don't do it. Usually this game is played with voice, so using text gives it a whole new medium to screw around with. How are we supposed to know if "Simno" is a typo, or a trick? Assuming either will get you killed.

Sir Cakez

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Additionally, the warden text plugin doesn't show capitalizations placed in words. So SImone Says will just come up as Simone Says. Many players do not look at the chat and subsequently get killed.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
You were the one who originally said
by using typos like S1mone Says or SImone Says as an excuse

I think we should try to clarify this game instead of just banning it. If Simon does any kind of typo, don't do the command. If you get killed for not doing it, that should be considered freekilling.

And its "Simon" not "Simone", you are really confusing my by saying that.

Sir Cakez

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
You were the one who originally said

I think we should try to clarify this game instead of just banning it. If Simon does any kind of typo, don't do the command. If you get killed for not doing it, that should be considered freekilling.

And its "Simon" not "Simone", you are really confusing my by saying that.
Yes, I know about the Simone thing. That's what the warden I mentioned in the OP was calling it, Simone Says instead of Simon Says, another thing that should be clarified as to whether or not that is allowed.
Clarifying the rules would be very appreciated and would be much better than the current status of the game.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Than I suggest this instead of banning the game

Simon Says:

General:
The person who is Simon will give out commands to the prisoners. If Simon says "Simon Says" before giving a command, the prisoners must do said command. If they do not do the command, they will be killed for not following Simon Says. If Simon does not say "Simon Says" before giving a command, the prisoners should not do said command. If they do follow a command, they will be killed for doing something without Simons permission.

Simon:
- Any misspelling of the phrase "Simon Says" is to be considered an invalid command, and should be treated as if Simon never said "Simon Says"
ex: Simone Says, Simno Syas , etc​
- You must not give out any commands that result in freekilling, or any commands that break any other JailBreak rules.

Guards:
Prisoners may only be killed if
1. They do not follow a "Simon Says" command
2. They follow a command that does not begin with exact phrase "Simon Says"

Sir Cakez

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

Simon Says:

General:
The person who is Simon will give out commands to the prisoners. If Simon says "Simon Says" before giving a command, the prisoners must do said command. If they do not do the command, they will be killed for not following Simon Says. If Simon does not say "Simon Says" before giving a command, the prisoners should not do said command. If they do follow a command, they will be killed for doing something without Simons permission.

Simon:
- Any misspelling of the phrase "Simon Says" is to be considered an invalid command, and should be treated as if Simon never said "Simon Says"
- You must not give out any commands that result in freekilling, or any commands that break any other JailBreak rules.

Guards:
Those rules look very nice. Only thing I would add is: does the warden have to say "Simon Says we are playing Simon Says" and/or "Simon Says I'm Simon" before starting? You probably think I'm being picky, but this issue comes up more often then you'd think.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I think the warden should be the only person who can kill if someone screws up. I've seen guards screw up and kill someone who did what the warden said.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
if not stated already, might want to add that any Simon Says commands pertaining to freekilling or use of the console are to be taken as invalid commands just to tackle the following potential cases:
"Simon Says kill everyone else"
"Simon Says input 'kill' in console"
"Simon Says input 'explode' in console"
"Simon Says input 'unbindall' in console"

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor

Simon Says:

General:

Simon:

Guards:
I think forcing simon says to be a voice game only will fix all the issues. "simon" and "simone" may look similar, but sound completely different. You also can't intentionally misspeak a word without being obvious.

I'm also all for this
I think the warden should be the only person who can kill if someone screws up. I've seen guards screw up and kill someone who did what the warden said.

-

JB players are stupid as shit. They'll use any little excuse they can get to get out of a ban. So maybe they'll just "forget" or they weren't "paying attention" when the warden said they were saying simon says.

Last edited:

Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
I've seen terrible things happen from this game. sometimes people wouldn't announce "we're playing Simon says", and it'd go downhill from there.

+1

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
JB players are stupid as shit. They'll use any little excuse they can get to get out of a ban. So maybe they'll just "forget" or they weren't "paying attention" when the warden said they were saying simon says.

Maybe it can be made so that the guards have to go stand somewhere away from where Simon Says is taking place so they won't "forget".