Eltra

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
i think i speak for most sane individuals when i say the 9 CD is just not enough for ZE with its current map pool. the feedback loop of santassination > squidgames > krusty krab > mako > mako 2 is mind numbing and i believe most people would be on board for a cooldown raise. the 9 map cooldown was ok back when we had like ~50 maps but times have changed and so has the quality and amount of maps on the server (marginally). i personally think the cooldown should be raised to around 20 but if others have any better ideas i would be open to them aswell. i know the logic is "if people dont want to play those maps they will just not vote for them!" but the 6 year olds who just got off the 9 hour squid game finger family video on mommy's ipad do not listen to reason and will spam these maps until everyone has developed brainrot. also as an added bonus it means more variety in maps as the server needs to find other things to do instead of playing on the buzzword maps, AKA people don't get bored as fast and players stick around longer. please consider my suggestion it took me 4 minutes to write this

Unfunny

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Massive +1 here. The next time I see Santass, Krusty, or Squiggle Giggle I will commit several violent hatecrimes against their creators.
A twenty map cooldown may be too long however, and alienate people. Maybe try something smaller like fifteen at first? As well as introduce some stricter quality standards for what maps are allowed in, so there's less meme maps in general.

There's a large amount of "joke maps" currently, which clog up a lot of the queue. I may be a based Mako enjoyer, but even I can see the issue when we play two different Makos for an hour each one after another or occasionally even longer. This problem only gets worse when the next maps afterwards are Krusty or Santass. A meme map every now and then is fun, but it gets boring when you're constantly playing the same ones right after eachother without a serious entertaining and difficult map between. Part of this is a quality issue sure, a lot of these meme maps have more effort put in than a lot of serious maps. However, there should also be something put in place to prevent the same rotation of maps in order every time.

• Elaborated on my thoughts and opinions, rather than just a meme post in support.
  • Fixed typos
  • Added edit log
  • Added more thoughts and opinions

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Seminal Inhalation

Whurr

Uncharitable Spy
i know the logic is "if people dont want to play those maps they will just not vote for them!" but the 6 year olds who just got off the 9 hour squid game finger family video on mommy's ipad do not listen to reason and will spam these maps until everyone has developed brainrot.
VSH also suffers this same problem with people instantly voting for maps like nebula and cinema even though both maps play like absolute shit and they're only played because "haha funny ramp/projector room for free frags on unsuspecting hales" the moment you take either of those away from the map you just have:
a map with a layout that sucks for anyone that's not soldier or scout
a map that hilariously favors hale unless they're a complete dumbass and don't know how to play the game
As well as introduce some stricter quality standards for what maps are allowed in, so there's less meme maps in general.
i feel like this should apply to all custom game modes and not just zombie escape exclusively. i'd much rather take the high effort serious map over the high effort meme map because at least the former (usually) ends up playing better over the meme map

+1'ing this because making brainless idiots upset that they have to wait a few more hours before they can go back to their circlejerk of the same maps over and over is funny.

• Sad
Reactions: VentureDev

VentureDev

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
VSH also suffers this same problem with people instantly voting for maps like nebula and cinema even though both maps play like absolute shit and they're only played because "haha funny ramp/projector room for free frags on unsuspecting hales" the moment you take either of those away from the map you just have:
a map with a layout that sucks for anyone that's not soldier or scout
a map that hilariously favors hale unless they're a complete dumbass and don't know how to play the game

i feel like this should apply to all custom game modes and not just zombie escape exclusively. i'd much rather take the high effort serious map over the high effort meme map because at least the former (usually) ends up playing better over the meme map

+1'ing this because making brainless idiots upset that they have to wait a few more hours before they can go back to their circlejerk of the same maps over and over is funny.
bump

Bottiger

Administrator
I am not convinced that it needs to be higher. You say santassination > squidgames > krusty krab > mako > mako 2, that's only 5 maps.

If the majority of people didn't want to play those maps why wouldn't they vote for a different map?

Why pick 20? Why not 100? Why not 3? I haven't seen a reasonable argument for any specific number.

Just saying because the average player is stupid doesn't convince me.

bottle gaming

Mildly Menacing Medic
the average player is very mentally incapable of realizing there are more than 8 maps on the server, yes, but there's also the fact that they will rarely perhaps even never see any of the other 70+ maps if they keep doing this
squid -> santa -> krusty -> makos -> rush b -> surfs -> other maybe actually solid maps they'll vote by a random drop of luck
^^ they also all fail miserably on all of these, ^^ except vortex and surf facility I guess
the cooldown of 9 had definitely improved the cycle but just was not enough
I'd be content with a map cooldown of about 15 though that may just be me

absolute wild suggestion but maybe somehow make surfs share a cooldown? if possible atleast, or if it's not too much of a hassle

Reactions: Eltra