Reporter

Administrator
Inconsistent Ping, Inconsistent Circumstances
Hey, all. I've recently been having net problems on TF2; it's been happening the past couple of weeks and it's so inconsistent that I just can't chalk it up to simple bad ping/internet or CPU shenanigans.

You've probably seen posts before about people having random ping spikes every so often on the servers they play on. It's a similar deal for me -- every, I'll say, 15-20 seconds my connection suffers a *massive* lagspike that lasts for about 1-3 seconds, then settles, repeat *ad nauseam.* My internet provider is Bell Aliant, by the way.

From the other posts with similar issues, I would've chalked it up to just my service provider being a pain in the ass, but the thing that's so weird about it is that it *only affects certain servers.* Blackwonder, Wonderland, couple of other ones all have this issue for me, and I'm, of course, the only one who has them. But other server sets, like Skial or Panda-Community, don't have these issues, even if their servers are a lot farther away. It might still just be my service provider having Advanced Tech Goblinry^(TM), but it might also be some configuration in my files as well.

My internet provider, as mentioned before, is Bell Aliant, and the service is *I think* DSL (didn't set it up, so I don't know the finer details). Computer is wired to the router (doesn't even have a wifi card in it), router itself has been replaced just over a month ago. It might also be the source, since the issues started around the same time.

These are the full contents of my autoexec.cfg:

mat_queue_mode 2
cl_threaded_bone_setup 1
cl_threaded_client_leaf_system 0

r_threaded_client_shadow_manager 1
r_threaded_particles 1
r_threaded_renderables 1
r_queued_decals 0
r_queued_ropes 1
r_queued_post_processing 0

studio_queue_mode 1

host_thread_mode 1

r_decal_cullsize 1
r_decals 200
r_decalstaticprops 1
r_drawmodeldecals 1
r_drawbatchdecals 1
mp_decals 200
cl_playerspraydisable 0

hud_saytext_time 12
voice_enable 1

cl_ragdoll_fade_time 0.01
cl_ragdoll_forcefade 0
g_ragdoll_fadespeed 0.1
g_ragdoll_lvfadespeed 0.1

violence_ablood 1
violence_hblood 1
violence_agibs 0
violence_hgibs 0

cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 2
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 66
rate 314572

fov_desired 100

fog_enable_water_fog 0

Ping issues seem to be independent of server location; Blackwonder NY etc., which I am closest to, have inconsistent ping, but Panda-Community TX etc. have stable (if higher) ping. Valve official matchmaking servers do not have any of these issues.

​

Looking forward to any help from the tech-savvy folk here. Fair warning, I'm not great with software (I'm on the level of "know my way around the house, but don't know how half of the inner bits and bobs work") so I may not understand immediately. Thanks

Author: iskawhiskers

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/cqq902/inconsistent_ping_inconsistent_circumstances/
http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/cqq902/inconsistent_ping_inconsistent_circumstances/