• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Keys are extremely high. I was talking to some people and I came up with a possible way for refined metal to rise back up. If Valve would actually do this, that is.

Anyways, what if there was a way to craft a specific crate and key by using refined metal? Let's call it Refined Crate and Refined Key. It would cost 3 refined to craft a RC and 5 refined to craft a RK. The RC would have items exclusive to that crate only, along with new unusuals and stranges. The only way to get that crate would be to craft it and the same thing with the key. Now, how would Valve make money off of this? Crate tokens. Crate tokens would be class tokens to be used on the crate so that a certain class of items would be guaranteed. For example, if I had a Sniper crate token and had a RC and a RK, I would use the key on the crate, and then the system would ask if I wanted to use a crate token at which point, I would select the Sniper crate token. It would guarantee that I got Sniper items from the crate, including Sniper stranges and unusuals. The crate tokens would be sold in the Mann Co. Store. Valve would make money off of it, refined metal would rise in price and keys would drop, everyone wins.

So, what do you guys think? Possible good idea or total bust?

Reactions: Defibyoulater

Deleted

Positively Inhumane Poster
Yeah I am sure Valve would totally add this to their game, just like everyone else's suggestions...

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Ok then what is your plan to publicize it (aka get Valves attention)?
It would be a new TF2 event. Introduce the crate tokens and a brand new way to use refined metal, which is the RC and RK. It would also introduce new stranges, cosmetics, and unusuals. Maybe introduce this event with a Steam sale and possibly add in discounts for games in those crates along with the other items so that more people would want those crates and buy more of those tokens. The tokens for the crates could possibly not just include class crate tokens, but also include community tokens that would guarantee a game discount or a bundle of trading cards and the sort. The tokens would only be sold in the Mann Co. Store and no where else.

Deleted

Positively Inhumane Poster
It would be a new TF2 event. Introduce the crate tokens and a brand new way to use refined metal, which is the RC and RK. It would also introduce new stranges, cosmetics, and unusuals. Maybe introduce this event with a Steam sale and possibly add in discounts for games in those crates along with the other items so that more people would want those crates and buy more of those tokens. The tokens for the crates could possibly not just include class crate tokens, but also include community tokens that would guarantee a game discount or a bundle of trading cards and the sort. The tokens would only be sold in the Mann Co. Store and no where else.
When I said your plan to publicize it I mean how do you plan to present it to Valve? They're a very large company, it isn't like you can just call them on their cellphone and tell them to add your idea to the game.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
That wouldn't work, considering the current way crates work is like a slot machine.

Valve introduces a crate, puts hella valuable items in at a 4.5% or 1% drop rate and creates a bunch of items that have less value than a key to make up the remainder of the crate. People will try their luck and open crates in an effort to get that unusual or high-tier strange/kill-streak/whatever else. Some people stop unboxing after one or two bad opens, but others go and go until they hit that elusive item. Valve prays on these big spenders and little spenders alike, and introducing items that guarantee you get a valuable item (be real, the first couple items unboxed from those crates would be high as fuck) would ruin that slot machine system they have in place.

It's good in theory, but won't make them money in the long run.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
When I said your plan to publicize it I mean how do you plan to present it to Valve? They're a very large company, it isn't like you can just call them on their cellphone and tell them to add your idea to the game.
I'm not sure, to be honest. I just thought this would be a good idea if Valve put it in effect since keys would become cheaper if this worked.
That wouldn't work, considering the current way crates work is like a slot machine.

Valve introduces a crate, puts hella valuable items in at a 4.5% or 1% drop rate and creates a bunch of items that have less value than a key to make up the remainder of the crate. People will try their luck and open crates in an effort to get that unusual or high-tier strange/kill-streak/whatever else. Some people stop unboxing after one or two bad opens, but others go and go until they hit that elusive item. Valve prays on these big spenders and little spenders alike, and introducing items that guarantee you get a valuable item (be real, the first couple items unboxed from those crates would be high as fuck) would ruin that slot machine system they have in place.

It's good in theory, but won't make them money in the long run.
I was thinking that if they put this in effect and kept it this way(crafting refined and keys and the sort), then keys would continue to drop and it would work as long as they kept introducing new aspects for it.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
if Valve were ever to make craftable crate/key sets for any event, they would most likely use old openable crates as the crafting ingredients for these crates and old unopenable event crates for the keys

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Why not just craft a class token + 3 refined and have it be a "Class Refined Crate"

But isn't that already the recipe for hats? or is it 2 refined?

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
if Valve were ever to make craftable crate/key sets for any event, they would most likely use old openable crates as the crafting ingredients for these crates and old unopenable event crates for the keys
Maybe. If they did take a look at this suggestion and add it in, that would be great since it would make keys drop.
Why not just craft a class token + 3 refined and have it be a "Class Refined Crate"

But isn't that already the recipe for hats? or is it 2 refined?
Valve would only take suggestions if it makes them money. So I figured making class crate tokens separate from class tokens and selling them on the Mann Co. Store would make them money. Craft the keys and crates but buy the tokens.

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Maybe. If they did take a look at this suggestion and add it in, that would be great since it would make keys drop.

Valve would only take suggestions if it makes them money. So I figured making class crate tokens separate from class tokens and selling them on the Mann Co. Store would make them money. Craft the keys and crates but buy the tokens.
but class tokens are insanely cheap to make. It's like, a weapon and a scrap, no one would buy them unless they were 10 cents. Maybe you have to craft the key and buy the crates?

Reactions: JohnnyGaloshes

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
but class tokens are insanely cheap to make. It's like, a weapon and a scrap, no one would buy them unless they were 10 cents. Maybe you have to craft the key and buy the crates?
Maybe. I was just trying to think of a way for Valve to make money and that was it. What if the keys and tokens you'd have to craft and the crates you'd have to buy? The items from that crate would be exclusive and the only way to get those items would be to craft the key and buy the crate. If this did happen, it would work for a while but if it was to keep working, they'd have to do more things like this.

popcron

Uncharitable Spy
A good way to raise the price of refined is bring back the bread crate. And instead of using 2 refined to craft a random hat, would be better if it costed 3 refined, but allowing the chance of receiving unusual ( and decreasing the uncrate of an unusual in a crate even further to even it out )

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
A good way to raise the price of refined is bring back the bread crate. And instead of using 2 refined to craft a random hat, would be better if it costed 3 refined, but allowing the chance of receiving unusual ( and decreasing the uncrate of an unusual in a crate even further to even it out )
You're forgetting that the items in the bread crate are already all over the place. That's why introducing a new crate with new items is the better way to go.

Reactions: Defibyoulater